Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Lono... thanks for that url!

#192450 - 01/02/10 06:54 PM Re: Need a portable shortwave antenna [Re: Lono]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
My wife and I made one of those for her dual band HT. It does extend the transmit range beyond the range of the rubber duck that came with the radio. Location makes a big difference, too. Higher is better (note the long length of the feed line in that linked antenna); away from metal and brick buildings, trees, etc.

Those antennas can overdrive the receiver - the receiver expects the crap signal the rubber duck delivers. I don't know of any damage from the stronger signal, but it can make the reception difficult to understand.

On the clip-on reel antennas, I have one from radio shack that clips onto the metal extended antenna of my radio shack receiver. I'm not sure how well that would work on the VX7 antenna, which is coated in rubber or something. Obviously, RF gets through the insulation. I'd say it's worth a try, but also try wrapping the wire antenna around the rubber duck a dozen or so times to see if that works any better. For HF reception, a long wire will work much better than the rubber duck; again, location is key. Resonance is good, but for receiving only, it's not as necessary as for transmit.

#192469 - 01/02/10 09:40 PM Re: Need a portable shortwave antenna [Re: philip]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: philip

On the clip-on reel antennas, I have one from radio shack that clips onto the metal extended antenna of my radio shack receiver. I'm not sure how well that would work on the VX7 antenna, which is coated in rubber or something.

Could you take the reel antenna and cut off the aligator or clip at the end of them and solder on a SMA connector? Or would you be better off making a cable with an SMA connector on one end and ending in aligator clip to use it on many things?

#192626 - 01/04/10 09:10 PM Re: Need a portable shortwave antenna [Re: Kris]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
SMA connectors (all connectors, RCA, BNC, whatever) have a positive and a negative side. The clip of course, has only one. If you do connect your wire antenna to an SMA connector, talk to someone about whether you should ground the antenna wire. It's beyond my knowledge. My guess is that for receive it won't make a noticeable difference, but find a good BB for this kind of stuff and ask there. You need the ground for transmission, but I'm not at all sure about reception.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.