The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#191714 - 12/24/09 03:15 PM Re: Tow Line - Kept in Car [Re: JohnN]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I have loops spliced into my line (and will on future lines as well), I just put the loop into the receiver and put the pin through it. Noted that it has abbrassion/angle potential, but I'll inspect lines and cover them as needed.

Being in a small car, I have relativly limited storage. I could put things on top of my storage area in the hatch back area, but the more I have there the more likely I am to take it out when I'm going on a road trip, etc (for space) and thus less likely to have it when I need it.

#191915 - 12/27/09 07:21 AM Re: Tow Line - Kept in Car [Re: roberttheiii]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Since I own a Jeep that I've built for serious offroading, I keep the following in it:

30'long 3" wide 30,000 pound rated snatch strap
8' long 3" wide 30,000 pound "tree saver" strap
20' heavy duty tow truck chain
receiver hitch-mounted shackle bracket
beefy front tow hooks mounted directly to the frame
a few 3/4" D-rings
a snatch block
a 48" Hi-Lift jack

That's pretty much all my recovery-type gear.

I fried my winch one day and need to buy another one (burnt up the solenoid pack AND the motor), but I should be good until I lay hands on another one.

Edited by 2005RedTJ (12/27/09 07:23 AM)

#192116 - 12/29/09 07:40 PM Re: Tow Line - Kept in Car [Re: JohnN]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: JohnN
* Amsteel Blue, the line referred to in the original post is a high tech fiber called Dyneema, which IIRC is a Spectra/Nylon blend, and is not comparable to most of your run of the mill line of similar thickness.

I use Spectra/Dyneema string for flying kites. It that use, it is known for very low stretch and being very slippery. Both desireable for stunt kite flying. But because it is so slippery it does not hold knots well (that's an understatement!) You "sleeve" it where you need to tie knots. You thread it through an external sleeve (similar to the covering over the 7 strands inside paracord), and then tie your knot in this added sleeving.

#192140 - 12/30/09 02:24 AM Re: Tow Line - Kept in Car [Re: haertig]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I should never have to tie knots in it, as I've spliced in the loops featured in the photos. That said, we do tie knots in dyneema sailing. Usually just a bowline. I wouldn't trust my life to it, but it hasn't failed on a spin sheet while I've been on board. That said, it is smaller strand than my towline, so that may help w/knot holding.

#192304 - 12/31/09 08:56 PM Re: Tow Line - Kept in Car [Re: Tyber]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Tyber
Roberttheii:

just a thought if you are using the back tow hitch as a pull point, try to find a Reciver Shacle Bracet that will fit your hitch. putting a line on the ball can sometimes make for a quick and deadly cannon ball if the tow strap sheears off the tow hitch ball

+1 on that. Never use the ball as a recovery point. Aside from the risk of tearing it off the vehicle, you'll find it's very hard to keep the strap from slipping off. If you don't have a hard-mounted recovery point, wrap the strap around the hitch receiver frame, or get one of those hitch recovery shackles (they're only about $50, IIRC). Hint: stick a rag, extra gloves, sticks, whatever in the loop as they can tighten-up pretty good and be difficult to get apart.

#192620 - 01/04/10 07:28 PM Re: Tow Line - Kept in Car [Re: roberttheiii]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: roberttheiii
I have loops spliced into my line (and will on future lines as well), I just put the loop into the receiver and put the pin through it. Noted that it has abbrassion/angle potential, but I'll inspect lines and cover them as needed.

Be careful with that... I have not done much in the way of recovery work since we rarely get deep snow here, but I have spent time reading over the years to know what to buy for my equipment. Using the pin in a receiver this way can be iffy since it is meant to hold a hitch or similar gadget in place rather than a rope or strap. It is designed to not simply shear off when tension is applied to the hitch, but it will not necessarily resist bending when tension is applied to a small point on it (like a rope).

I originally had the same idea as you, but after looking into it I spent the $40 on a receiver shackle bracket instead.

EDIT: May as well list my stuff too; you should all feel free to tell me if I'm being stupid:

25' 20,000 pound recovery strap with loops on both ends.
15' chain
2-ton come-along
Receiver shackle bracket with 2 3/4" shackles
8' nylon tow rope with hooks that came with a roadside emergency kit (can't see me using this for much of anything)

Edited by airballrad (01/04/10 07:34 PM)

#192621 - 01/04/10 07:56 PM Re: Tow Line - Kept in Car [Re: airballrad]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Originally Posted By: airballrad

EDIT: May as well list my stuff too; you should all feel free to tell me if I'm being stupid:

15' chain
2-ton come-along
8' nylon tow rope with hooks that came with a roadside emergency kit (can't see me using this for much of anything)

YOur list looks good, the 2ton come-along may be a good helper if you have to get over a smaller object or just give asstance to your vehicle in a time of need.

As for the 8' nylon tow rope with hooks. With all the gear that I have, I hate to admit it, I have had to use one of those hooks as it was the best hook to connect to a car I was pulling out.

so while you may wonder why you have that cheep POS tow rope, there may be a day that the hooks come in realy handy. Speaking of atachments, the loops on the recovery strap may need shackels for pulling or attaching to the front of trucks/vehicles.

Keep in mind that Ford uses totaly closed tow hooks, they are just loops on the front of the truck.. To add to the fun the material of the loop is HUGE and you need a 6ton shackle to get around the material of the loop.

Edited by Tyber (01/04/10 08:02 PM)

#192743 - 01/06/10 03:35 AM Re: Tow Line - Kept in Car [Re: airballrad]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: airballrad

15' chain
2-ton come-along

You can never have too much recovery gear. grin

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.