Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#191129 - 12/17/09 02:33 PM new small pack design from Kifaru: the Koala
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Here's a very interesting new design from Kifaru: the Koala. It looks like it could be configured in many different ways for different applications: survival, commo, E&E, SAR, etc. I like that it can be integrated as a front-pack when used with a back-pack.

ETA: I have no affiliation w/ Kifaru.

#191131 - 12/17/09 02:49 PM Re: new small pack design from Kifaru: the Koala [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

That might work well with my camera.

Thanks for the link.

#191133 - 12/17/09 02:53 PM Re: new small pack design from Kifaru: the Koala [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Like it! Someone has been doing some good thinking with that design.

other Pete

#191143 - 12/17/09 04:19 PM Re: new small pack design from Kifaru: the Koala [Re: Pete]
Henry_Porter Offline

Any word on pricing yet? I couldn't find any on the Kifaru forum thread.

I've found Kifaru gear to be very well designed and constructed. It can be pretty expensive gear for someone like me who is used to thrift store and surplus packs -- especially if you add various straps, belts and pouches. But my Kifaru kit has been rock-solid and useful. Glad I have it and am saving for more.

#191151 - 12/17/09 06:47 PM Re: new small pack design from Kifaru: the Koala [Re: Henry_Porter]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Looks great for a chest rig with a back pack, or something on your lower back for quick trips!

#191164 - 12/17/09 08:10 PM Re: new small pack design from Kifaru: the Koala [Re: Todd W]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Henry_Porter
Any word on pricing yet? I couldn't find any on the Kifaru forum thread.

I've found Kifaru gear to be very well designed and constructed. It can be pretty expensive gear for someone like me who is used to thrift store and surplus packs -- especially if you add various straps, belts and pouches. But my Kifaru kit has been rock-solid and useful. Glad I have it and am saving for more.

+infinity on that Henry. Whatever happened to the good ole days of $20 rucksacks for a day hike. Now you buy a pack and "oh you have to buy this expensive harness and oh the harness only works if you buy this adapter, and oh, that will only work if you buy this accessory that costs more than the pack." Don't jump all over me at once. I am all for buying quality gear and the new tougher water resistant longer wearing etc materials are more expensive and costs go up again for quality construction techniques and good quality control. I get that. It just seems like a lot of the new gear has to be a system. It seems an awful lot like a money racket to me. You can't get by just buying a pack, you have to buy everything else that goes with it to make it work like it is supposed to. I gladly pay $100 or more for quality knives, same for quality shoes, and other gear. But d@#^ paying $200 for a pack plus more for the modular belt and straps and padding and .... sorry, been on the soap box for too long (by the way not saying this particulart pack is that much either, just making a point). Just old school I guess. Sometimes it just seems like these guys are more interested in how much expensive gear they can force you to buy rather than just sticking to a good quality stands alone reasonably priced product. Please forgive my ranting.
*shackled in center of town waiting for the stones to start flying*

#191203 - 12/18/09 02:59 AM Re: new small pack design from Kifaru: the Koala [Re: Mark_F]
duckear Offline
Addict

Buying American costs more.

And the pay scale in Denver ain't cheap.

#191207 - 12/18/09 04:29 AM Re: new small pack design from Kifaru: the Koala [Re: Mark_F]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have fond memories of the Frostline kits, which I found enjoyable and relaxing to construct. I learned that it's only a needle and thread - not that hard to modify existing stuff or make your own.

#191208 - 12/18/09 04:53 AM Re: new small pack design from Kifaru: the Koala [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I wonder if the X-harness they are talking about is the one that TT uses for the MAV, or is at least compatible....

*slaps myself* No, bad thought, I can't afford two of them for the ditch kit. Although being able to strip off the core one and pop off the back piece is a drool-worthy image.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#191269 - 12/18/09 08:49 PM Re: new small pack design from Kifaru: the Koala [Re: ironraven]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I gotta get back to sewing gear. Som many ideas, so little time...

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 300 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.