The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#191086 - 12/17/09 12:03 AM Re: Automatic vs Manual? [Re: T_Co]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I learned on a stick, and still drive one. My biggest problem has always been trying to stomp the clutch in, while driving an automatic with a wide brake pedal...

#191087 - 12/17/09 12:28 AM Re: Automatic vs Manual? [Re: UncleGoo]
Tag Offline
Stranger

Loc: UK
Most people I know drive cars with manual transmission. Almost everyone I know passed their test in one - I can think of only one friend who took his test in an automatic. His mum also drives an automatic, but I don't know if she's driven a manual in the past or not.

Over there, is your choice restricted by what you use for the test?
Here (in the UK), if you take your test in a manual, you're allowed to drive both. If you take your test in an automatic, you're not allowed to drive a manual.

#191092 - 12/17/09 01:45 AM Re: Automatic vs Manual? [Re: Tag]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I want a split rear end in my Subaru...

Anyways, I can drive a basic standard. I consider is James Bond skill, thus had to learn it. wink

We (Parent's company) have one truck that has two ranges and a split rear end, but I had to figure that out. Bought it used for 3k for onsite moving of materials. It hasn't seen a state or town road since we've owned it so we keep it in low range all the time.

#191094 - 12/17/09 02:09 AM Re: Automatic vs Manual? [Re: T_Co]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: T_Co
Does everyone here also know how to drive a manual in case they ever need to? Party, only way home is someone overserved, you stumble upon the only vehicle in range and it is a stick? And not to offend the ladies but how many signifigant others can drive them?

I had an exact conversation about this and my lady and she simply asked WHY.... I alsmost keeled over.

Considering almost 80% of vehicles have automatic transmissions that may not be an unreasonable first answer. I learned on a automatic, switched to a standard cause I love Mustangs and a muscles car and stick go together like peanut butter and jelly! I would still be driving a manual transmission today if it wasn't for the fact the manufacturer's are making very few of them! And Ford's new 6-speed autos are about as energy efficient as a 5-speed manual to boot...

But the real reason people love automatics so much is that it frees their hands to do other much important things like apply makeup, texting, holding the phone, eating food and holding up that glorious cancer stick! frown

#191096 - 12/17/09 03:24 AM Re: Automatic vs Manual? [Re: Roarmeister]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Sure, you can manage a synchromesh transmission, but can you drive a 1937 ford-ferguson tractor-the real ideal survival vehicle?

Of all the skills that might prove essential to survival, why choose managing a manual transmission? Negotiating skills, sewing ability, playing the harmonica or performing simple surgical procedures all seem as likely to be useful.

#191101 - 12/17/09 05:28 AM Re: Automatic vs Manual? [Re: T_Co]
TomP Offline
Journeyman

As my kids got old enough to need their own cars I made sure they were manual trans. My daughter cried the first time she tried it and was convinced she would never be able to drive. I was suprised how she learned within 48 hrs to be an expert as she would go to bed one night unable to prevent the car from stalling -but would get up the next day and be 100% improved. I figured her brain was reliving the experience in her sleep and learning. I told her that she should never be forced to turn down driving the best sports cars due to lack of stick experience. She is very grateful now. As a bonus cars with stick are an absolutly cheap as used cars. Make sure the first car they ever drive is a stick! They are more attentive driving a stick and are safer as well.

#191102 - 12/17/09 05:54 AM Re: Automatic vs Manual? [Re: TomP]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
My wife is going to learn next summer... good`ol truck NP435 smile

#191105 - 12/17/09 06:04 AM Re: Automatic vs Manual? [Re: T_Co]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: T_Co
Paul810-

what about your wife, friends or present or coming children?

Of course, I teach every one I get the chance to. In fact, I've taught quite a few people to run heavy equipment as well.

I've always been heavily into vehicles and engines [thanks to my father, the shop mechanic], so I've always loved driving new things. I don't even own a boat or a motorcycle, but I got the endorsements just so I could if I ever wanted to. grin

#191108 - 12/17/09 07:07 AM Re: Automatic vs Manual? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
Does everyone here also know how to drive a manual in case they ever need to? Party, only way home is someone overserved, you stumble upon the only vehicle in range and it is a stick? And not to offend the ladies but how many signifigant others can drive them?

It would be the complete opposite in the UK, the response would be 'Where's the gear stick' if some one came across a rare automatic. I thought automatics were for partially disabled folks, i.e. those missing a leg or left arm. wink

Yeah me too. I have never drove a automatic, only stick shift...

#191109 - 12/17/09 07:31 AM Re: Automatic vs Manual? [Re: Tjin]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Three-on-the-tree '56 Chevy is what I learned on. My first car! The wife learned on an old Buick Skyhawk manual trans. We taught our kids on a Mustang 5 speed. That was a bit nerve racking the first time out in traffic. Either they'd lurch out into the intersection and stall it, or they'd fly across with wheels spinning at 100 mph. Neither was terribly good for us parent's nerves. But they got it finally. The first time you're stuck in a bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go mess for an hour you'll appreciate an automatic. But out on the road away from heavy traffic a manual is a heck of a lot more fun to drive.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 546 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
40 minutes 58 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.