Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#190829 - 12/14/09 11:16 PM Re: Ultimate PSK Water Boiling Container [Re: Alex]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
Wish they made a smaller version of this coffee can.

#190837 - 12/15/09 12:37 AM Re: Ultimate PSK Water Boiling Container [Re: ratbert42]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If the discussion is moving to the size range of something that can wrap around a 32 oz Nalgene bottle, there are numerous possibilities:

1) a stainless steel cup specifically sized to fit a Nalgene. Commonly available, it takes up little space, will heat a significant amount of water, and is quite durable. Drawback is that it is fairly heavy.

2) a Snow Peak 700 cup - titanium, which means it is pricy, but it is very light and extremely tough. I swallowed hard and bought one of these last year. It was worth it. Larger capacity - it is really all you need for a minimal cook kit, and it comes with a lid.

I would love to see an aluminum version of these cups. It would be light, cheap, and not quite so durable, but I have not found one.

A metal cup that will fit a shirt pocket PSK is a real toughy, as this thread demonstrates. The closest is the old Tacoma Mountain Rescue PSK which is contained in a tobacco can (Prince Albert). Just a little too big to really fit in the average shirt pocket, but it can produce a reasonable amount of liquid from snow.

I would hate to melt snow in an Altoids tin, but if that was all you had.......

#190844 - 12/15/09 01:27 AM Re: Ultimate PSK Water Boiling Container [Re: hikermor]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I developed a companion kit to my PSK, it is the "Shelter" componant (Heatsheet Bivy/2-Person Heatsheet/matches/75' nylon twine) that is contained within a Hersey's Chocolate Syrup can (284 ml), this can is wrapped in cordage (nylon mason cord and parachute cord if I remember correctly) then this unit is inserted into a small stainless steel container with a see-thru lid. The final size is about 3 1/4" dia by 4 1/2' tall.

With this kit you have overhead shelter and the bivy bag, plus 2 containers to boil water in. The metal containers have 2 holes punched in the top and wire to make them into billy cans. I will post this kit someday when I get free time to take the pictures and do the write-up, maybe after Christmas.

I used the outer can on last springs ovenight trip seen here hanging over the fire between my boots in image # 8.

The ability to drink a hot liquid when it is cold allows you to take the heat energy of the fire and apply it directly to your inner body core. Helps me get through the night when I have minimal equipment.

Mike

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.