Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#191030 - 12/16/09 05:05 PM Re: Snow Strands Motorists Overnight on NY Highway [Re: Compugeek]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: Compugeek
Am I missing something? What did these people do to warrant the vitriol?

Drive on snowy roads in snow country?

Trust authorities to tell them if it wasn't safe? Exactly as society teaches them to do?

They got stuck Thursday night. The road wasn't closed until 1:30am Friday, and they were getting them out Friday day.

What am I missing?

The on going debate about charging people for rescue.

These are tongue in cheek a bit (at least mine was) as these kind of statements
are sometimes made in relation to hikers, climbers, etc.

See the Mt Hood thread.

#191041 - 12/16/09 05:52 PM Re: Snow Strands Motorists Overnight on NY Highway [Re: clearwater]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Ditto John and Clearwater.

Context and irony (the Mt. Hood thread).

#191081 - 12/16/09 11:10 PM Re: Snow Strands Motorists Overnight on NY Highway [Re: Dagny]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Oh, good, I simply missed the tongues in cheeks.

TY

#191274 - 12/18/09 10:15 PM Re: Snow Strands Motorists Overnight on NY Highway [Re: Compugeek]
urbansurvivalist Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
I completely missed the sarcasm as well, and was relieved when you clarified that. I agree with JohnE 100%.

#191353 - 12/20/09 05:45 AM Re: Snow Strands Motorists Overnight on NY Highway [Re: urbansurvivalist]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
I missed it until I read some other posts as well. Sarcasm is easy enough to spot if you know the person pretty well, but tough on the internet sometimes. From my poor memory, it was the original purpose of the smile character.

Love the snowy road pictures!

#191370 - 12/20/09 03:23 PM Re: Snow Strands Motorists Overnight on NY Highway [Re: JohnE]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: JohnE
I think you're missing a heavy dose of sarcasm, at least in the case of my earlier posts.

Some people on this forum have a habit of immediately blaming the victims whenever a news report tells of someone getting lost or injured while out and about. In every case that I've read anyway, before any or at least many of the facts behind the event are publicized. See the debacle of a thread concerning the folks attempting to climb Mt. Hood for some great examples of posting without knowing what the hell has actually happened.

There are also a lot of people, none of whom are actually involved in search and rescue, who also use every opportunity to state that the victims of any mishaps should be billed for the cost of their rescue. None of those folks has ever, to my knowledge anyway, ever explained why fire and police services shouldn't also be billed for. Ironic since the majority of search and rescue efforts are provided by volunteers anyway who do it for their own reasons and the costs passed along to the taxpayer completely pales in comparison to things like police and fire services.

Some of us I think, are getting a wee bit tired of reading armchair analyses by people without the knowledge or the facts to have an informed opinion.

The comments made about the victims of the Mt. Hood event went beyond the pale even for this forum, in my opinion. It's been breathtaking to see what people write about things that they know virtually nothing about.

Thanks for reminding me that irony and sarcasm can be a tough thing to do well on a web forum.

Well done JohnE this is one of the best posts ever posted on this forum.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.