The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#190415 - 12/10/09 05:07 PM Re: Keeping the first fire going [Re: NightHiker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Guys! Shift the shelter versus fire debate to a new thread, please.

let's limit this thread to a discussion about how to keep the first fire going and how to transport it.

Thanks.

#190417 - 12/10/09 05:10 PM Re: Keeping the first fire going [Re: dweste]
PSM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Cochise Co., AZ
Well, you could add a Slow Match to your kit. Or carry a Calalitic Hand Warmer. The latter brings a lot of other advantages with it as well.

Pat

#190419 - 12/10/09 05:19 PM Re: Keeping the first fire going [Re: PSM]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Pat, some interesting items. Thanks.

Do you know if the hand warmer can be used to start a fire? If it can, how?

Do you know what the rope is impregnated with to turn it into a slow match, for DIY creation of one?

Edited by dweste (12/10/09 05:20 PM)

#190421 - 12/10/09 06:12 PM Re: Keeping the first fire going [Re: dweste]
PSM Offline
Journeyman

I haven't tried it but if you lightly touch a cotton ball to the burner I doubt that you would damage it.

The Jon-e hand warmer has a wick:

You can Google "slow match" or "matchlocks" and find several recipes. Unless you're into historical re-enacting or matchlock shooing (which I assume you are not), I'd say just order them online.

Pat

#190432 - 12/10/09 08:06 PM Re: Keeping the first fire going [Re: PSM]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
One of the older style of hand warmer was a metal case with insulation in it that held a burning charcoal stick inside. They usually burned for about 5 hours.
I think you would get the same effect from embers carried in a container full of ash.
(If you have something like this just to carry a fire it seems to me you might be better just packing a lighter with you.)

Another fire carrier is the bark from Douglas Fir. The embers
(coals) seem to burn into is just like punk and smolder away for a long time.
Oh I just reminded me about punk. Punk is the dozey half rotted but dry cedar you find inside some logs. It is another material that will carry an ember for a long time.

#190438 - 12/10/09 08:48 PM Re: Keeping the first fire going [Re: scafool]
PSM Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: scafool
One of the older style of hand warmer was a metal case with insulation in it that held a burning charcoal stick inside. They usually burned for about 5 hours.
I think you would get the same effect from embers carried in a container full of ash.
(If you have something like this just to carry a fire it seems to me you might be better just packing a lighter with you.)

I forgot about those: Charcoal Handwarmer

Still, having a "purpose built" item is in line with being prepared. Otherwise you are relying on finding a field expedient substitute.

And, it is still a hand warmer. Not a bad item to have at times.

Pat

#190439 - 12/10/09 08:54 PM Re: Keeping the first fire going [Re: PSM]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
are the sticks for the hand warmer just charcoal or do they have something mixed it to keep them going?..

#190442 - 12/10/09 09:12 PM Re: Keeping the first fire going [Re: CANOEDOGS]
PSM Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
are the sticks for the hand warmer just charcoal or do they have something mixed it to keep them going?..

Everything I've seen just says "solid charcoal".

I've had (and probably still have somewhere) both types. A Coleman lighter fluid type in the '60s and the charcoal type in the '70s. The lighter fluid type was MUCH better. But for the purposes of this thread, the charcoal one is more appropriate.

Pat

#190443 - 12/10/09 10:37 PM Re: Keeping the first fire going [Re: PSM]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Thanks PSM. That is what I was thinking about. It says it burns 10 hours so I was only about half right.
I agree they might be a good item to have handy.
One thing about the charcoal is they can sit on a shelf for ages and still work when you need it.

SFAIK the sticks were just compressed charcoal. The fact they were insulated helped them stay lit. I can remember stubbing the sticks out when done with the warmer and relighting them later.

#190586 - 12/12/09 12:42 AM Re: Keeping the first fire going [Re: scafool]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

So called 'fire logs' are pretty common with indigenous populations where the rainfall is high and things tend to stay wet. In rain soaked jungle it can be a major problem to find anything that is dry enough to reliably use to create fire from friction or a limited amount of sparks. In such places, independent of a lighter or other modern means, creating a fire from scratch can be a really big deal. Not an experience you want go through regularly.

Once created the emphasis is on preserving fire. Usually as a glowing coal. The way this was accomplished was to create a fire log. A common form was piece of split bamboo about 3" in diameter that was filled with plant materials that had been carefully selected for their ability to support a coal and dried with the last fire. Once filled and a coal installed the split bamboo would be lashed closed and frequently provided with a shoulder strap. Set up correctly, the methods are an art form handed down from generation to generation and vary widely according to location and culture, they were recorded as being able to support a coal for several days reliably.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.