The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#188605 - 11/19/09 01:24 AM Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Am I crazy? I don't carry a res-q-me, I don't have a lifehammer in my car, my seat belts are typical and I have power windows. I've looked at devices like Res-Q-Me for years (who remembers that knife with the spring loaded glass breaking punch in the end of it?) and thought, why do I need to carry one of those? I carry either a locking folder (One of two benchmades, or a spyderco atlantic salt), a Leatherman skeletool, or both. When I say I carry, I mean I swim with the Atlantic Salt and I run with the skeletool, I pretty much always have some blade on me. I've had nightmares where I don't have a knife, seriously. I think that as my car is up side down and sinking towards the muddy bottom of a river I'm a lot more likely to instinctively reach for a knife I use several times a day and cut my seat belt, and smash a window, then I am to remember some device I've clipped under my seat or on my keychain and haven't touched in 2 years.

What do you think? Will a skeletool or locking folder get the job done as well as a purpose built device while saving me money and weight carried everyday?

I'm not saying those devices are junk, they're great for people who aren't like me, and a lifehammer would be perfect for say my brother, install it in his car and it is there for him, but I don't think I need one

Edited by roberttheiii (11/19/09 01:25 AM)

#188609 - 11/19/09 01:39 AM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: roberttheiii]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
I'd still carry something in the car. Your knife works, you're right. It doesn't work and your not around anymore? I would think after I tried my knife and said "Oh crap, that didn't work, what else can I do"? that you would then remember where you placed it. As far as placing it there 2 years ago, like all SAFETY equipment, you should check it at specified intervals to make sure that it is functioning properly. The more you check it, the more you will remember its there. And remember, safety in redundancy....

Ultimately it's your call. Knowing ahead of time and not carrying something when around water, for some people that would be like letting someone who has had too much to drink give you a ride home.

my .02

Edited by T_Co (11/19/09 01:42 AM)

#188610 - 11/19/09 01:45 AM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: T_Co]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Appreciated. I'm around water all the time...in it, on it, driving over it. I agree it'd be better if I checked my safety equipment regularly, and you're right it wouldn't hurt to have it in my car, but it is already so full of other "just in case" items, at some point I feel I've got so much "just in case" gear I can't bring the stuff I need for a weekend away, etc.

#188611 - 11/19/09 01:48 AM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: roberttheiii]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
How about the Ring that suspends the seat belt over your shoulder? Cant imagine anything else hanging from that spot.

#188612 - 11/19/09 01:50 AM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: T_Co]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

You're wearing me down... wink

I may give that a whirl, but I'm concerned about rattle, perhaps an elastic.

#188613 - 11/19/09 02:00 AM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: roberttheiii]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Do you assume you will always be conscious and physically able to deploy your safety gear? Should you make it easy for someone riding with you to save your life? What of someone to whom you loan your vehicle?

#188633 - 11/19/09 02:03 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: dweste]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Have you tried shattering glass with a leatherman? I haven’t, but I know shattering glass isn’t that easy.

Let say you upside down. Have you tried cutting a seatbelt under tension without any play against your body. Hook/safety style seatbelt cutters can be used safely. A folder creates stab and slice hazards.

Can you reach you tools easily after a collision? Belt/pocket carry is not the same as having the proper tools mounted on the right place in your car.

A lifehammer or resqme is cheap, high effective, if mounted correctly; easy to reach, find and cannot be forgotten.

#188634 - 11/19/09 02:14 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: Tjin]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
My 2 cents, based on what I've learned here and elsewhere:

If anything makes it difficult or even impossible to use your knife, then what are you going to do?

#188635 - 11/19/09 02:15 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: Tjin]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Funny enough you mention this....

Borrowing my dads truck this week, I see he has a Res-Q-Me type orange escape device tucked into his map pocket on his driver side door. I decided to see how long it would take me to pull it out and use it.

I can't get it out of the pocket under 30 seconds b/c he left it on the plastic holder and its getting stuck on something. So I took the holder off and put the hammer back in the pocket.

I have an orange folding knife in my car. It has a seat belt cutter on one end and the on the butt cap is a stud to break a window out. Thinking about going to the junk yard and asking if I can punch out a window with it for a test.

#188645 - 11/19/09 05:06 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: roberttheiii]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"car in the water" scenarios are dramatic and not very likely. Personally, I prepare for things that happen frequently: storms, minor accidents, delays, etc.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 537 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.