Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#189578 - 12/01/09 01:04 AM PLB Advice
ChicagoCraig Offline

Hello,

This is my first post on ETS. I've tried searching the forums for my question but haven't found anything so if there is an existing thread for this please let me know. I've also read the ultimate PLB FAQ as well and did not find a suitable answer.

I'm looking to purchase a PLB. My primary outdoors activity is snowmobiling in MI Upper Peninsula and the rockies (yellowstone/wyoming). This year I'm looking to sled near Hearst ON, CA.

My question: Can I purchase a US PLB and register it for use with NOAA and also register with CA?

Also, any PLB recommendations (brand/model) would be appreciated. Cold weather use and long operating time when activated are my priorities. I'm not so concerned about size or cost and I also carry an iridium sat phone.

Thanks in advance,

Craig

#189581 - 12/01/09 01:27 AM Re: PLB Advice [Re: ChicagoCraig]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
ChicagoCraig:
Thanks for droping in, stick around there is a lot of discussion on PLS'S on this site. Let me give you a hand, When you put PLB in the search box add a "*" to it. the search engine uses 4 dig-gets to do a search. I received 200 hits.

#189587 - 12/01/09 02:02 AM Re: PLB Advice [Re: ChicagoCraig]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ChicagoCraig
I'm looking to purchase a PLB. My primary outdoors activity is snowmobiling in MI Upper Peninsula and the rockies (yellowstone/wyoming). This year I'm looking to sled near Hearst ON, CA.

My question: Can I purchase a US PLB and register it for use with NOAA and also register with CA?

No and not sure why you would want to. You register your PLB in your home country whenever possible. Once registered, it is usable anywhere you go. If the beacon is deployed, the registration information is automatically shared with the SAR agency with responsibility for whatever area of the world it is in.

Originally Posted By: ChicagoCraig
Also, any PLB recommendations (brand/model) would be appreciated. Cold weather use and long operating time when activated are my priorities. I'm not so concerned about size or cost and I also carry an iridium sat phone.

ACR SARLink
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#189595 - 12/01/09 03:25 AM Re: PLB Advice [Re: big_al]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Originally Posted By: big_al
ChicagoCraig:
Let me give you a hand, When you put PLB in the search box add a "*" to it. the search engine uses 4 dig-gets to do a search. I received 200 hits.

Big Al,

Ahhh much better. I have some reading to do.

Thank you.

Craig

#189597 - 12/01/09 03:30 AM Re: PLB Advice [Re: Doug_Ritter]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter

No and not sure why you would want to. You register your PLB in your home country whenever possible. Once registered, it is usable anywhere you go. If the beacon is deployed, the registration information is automatically shared with the SAR agency with responsibility for whatever area of the world it is in.

Total ETS newbie here and had some gaps in my knowledge of registration. Thank you for setting me straight.

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter

ACR SARLink

Thanks,

Craig

#189599 - 12/01/09 04:12 AM Re: PLB Advice [Re: ChicagoCraig]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Hi Doug,

I was reading the product descriptions on the ACR SARLink and the McMurdo FastFind MaxG respective mfr web sites.

Both seem to have the same operating temperatures (-20f) but the MAX G shows to have over 48 hours of operation whereas the SARLink shows over 24. GPS accuracy +/- 100m for the SARLink and +/60m for the MAX G. User replaceable battery on the MAX G and not on the SARLink. The MAX G appears to have a higher street price.

What is it about the SARLink that you recommend it over the MAX G? Asking to understand.

Thanks,

Craig

#189627 - 12/01/09 02:29 PM Re: PLB Advice [Re: ChicagoCraig]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

McMurdo's numbers on accuracy are bogus. All GPS PLBs have the same accuracy as it is not dependent upon the GPS, but rather on the limitations of the digital coding.

The Max G does not have true one-hand deployment, the SARLink does.

The SARLink actually has a 35 hour battery. Quite frankly, extended operating times don't matter much since you should be staying put in any land based scenario.

The SARLink has a better, latest generation 66 channel GPS chip which is more likely to get a location in difficult circumstances.

The MaxG has no dedicated GPS self test, the SARLInk has a full GPS self test.

The SARLink puts out minimum 6.3 watts ERP, the MaxG the standard 5 watts.

SARLink has a flashing LED, which could be useful.

Finally, I have greater confidence in the robustness of the ACR product than the McMurdo.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#189631 - 12/01/09 03:11 PM Re: PLB Advice [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
McMurdo's numbers on accuracy are bogus. All GPS PLBs have the same accuracy as it is not dependent upon the GPS, but rather on the limitations of the digital coding.

The difference for the quoted accuracy figures may be down to whether whether a 2D Circular Error Probability CEP or 3D Spherical Error Probability SEP is being quoted by the 2 different manufacturers. SEP is always worse than CEP by about 1.4 times which would account for the difference so it could well be that the accuracy figure of 60 metres quoted by McMurdo is not bogus at all.

BTW not all GPS receivers are the same, some have better accuracy due to better design in clock stability, antenna design and sensitivity and firmware differences.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/01/09 03:15 PM)

#189635 - 12/01/09 03:25 PM Re: PLB Advice [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Quote:

The difference for the quoted accuracy figures may be down to whether whether a 2D Circular Error Probability CEP or 3D Spherical Error Probability SEP is being quoted by the 2 different manufacturers. SEP is always worse than CEP by about 1.4 times which would account for the difference so it could well be that the accuracy figure of 60 metres quoted by McMurdo is not bogus at all.

Again, has absolutely nothing to do with the accuracy of the native GPS or how they compute it. The GPS itself could be accurate to within 1mm it wouldn't change a thing. The issue is the resolution that the data format can deliver. Now, if the manufacturer was to quote it's number at a specific latitude, then you could legitimately have different numbers, but this is not being done as these are world-wide devices, so worst case must be assumed, which is at the equator.

The location transmitted is offset in 4 second increments +/- from the Coarse position in 2 degree increments. At the equator, one second of latitude/longitude = 101.3 feet.

McMurdo chooses to present what it says is what an average user might expect, but IMO that is misleading unless they provide the information a consumer needs to determine what that number really means.

www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#189642 - 12/01/09 04:28 PM Re: PLB Advice [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The location transmitted is offset in 4 second increments +/- from the Coarse position in 2 degree increments. At the equator, one second of latitude/longitude = 101.3 feet.

I assumed that the PBL, would transmit something like the much more accurate GPS NMEA 0183 GLL sentence to the satellite (minute to 2 decimal places) rather than a limited accuracy compressed binary formated positional message presumably to save data bandwidth for the satellite transmission. +- 404 feet at the equator could be problematic especially for example if under the Brazilian Jungle canopy.

So does this mean that the SPOT device is actually much more accurate in its positional fixes or is it constrained by the same limitations on transmitting its GPS fix calculation due to the constrained binary message format to the satellite? I seem to remember seeing that the SPOT device doesn't have this limitation.

It seems that the constrained transmit message could easily give SAR potentially a lot more work to do or even cost lives due to the extra search time just over the cost of transmitting an extra nibble or two to the satellite.

Is this PBL GPS format set in stone or will it be updated. It seems that the PBL GPS transmit format was instigated prior to GPS SA being turned off.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/01/09 04:48 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 425 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.