The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#189661 - 12/01/09 06:24 PM Re: Portable Digital TV [Re: MartinFocazio]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
With that, you can connect a cheap-o sat dish and still get a signal well out of range of terrestrial signals. It's amusing to me (in a kind of dark way) that I live 2 hours from 2 major cities and my over-the-air reception of television is utterly lacking, yet if you're in the middle of nowhere in any of Europe and much of the Mideast and Asia, for a few hundred bucks, you get plenty of signals from a cheap disk and simple hardware - and plenty of Free To Air (FTA) programming.

You can even get cheaper than a few hundred dollars for Satellite TV hooked to the USB port on a PC.

Dealextreme has DVB-S2 boxes for around $35

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28533

A satellite dish and LNB can be picked up for about the same cost or even for nothing. Folks are willing to give them away in the UK because they are mostly regarded an eyesore stuck on the side of the their homes and because the perceived social status of Satellite dish owners. Camouflaging your Satellite dish can sometimes be difficult. wink

Other boxes are available, which can be used with 'redundant' Sky Satellite dishes for use with old SD TVs via the analogue Euroscart connector.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabI...O&U=Strat15

#189688 - 12/02/09 02:15 AM Re: Portable Digital TV [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
Satellite, and for that matter a shortwave radio, would be great for world news. That could be very comforting in time of local or regional disaster.

In the case of a local disaster, though, I'd most like to have local news. In combination with local (2m) ham radio and maybe a scanner, that's going to give me the best immediate picture of what's going on. For decent news here, that means TV.

Until I can find a decent portable TV, I'm going to look at either making a DC to DC converter for my 17" LCD TV and amplified antenna, or use an inverter to run from a 12v battery. In combination they draw less power than my notebook computer, and they start faster and are more reliable. Neither is as good as a handheld TV was in the analog days.

Wondering out loud - Either Kenwood or Icom used to make a ham HT with a digital display. I wonder if any had digital tv tuners?

#189693 - 12/02/09 02:51 AM Re: Portable Digital TV [Re: UpstateTom]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
How would an emergency radio of this type do for what you guys are talking about?

-----------

Nevermind, TV radio portion outdated after switch to digital. May be a good company to keep an eye on if prices do not increase too much on a unit like this once it is updated.

Edited by T_Co (12/02/09 02:54 AM)
Edit Reason: Information outdated

#189695 - 12/02/09 03:01 AM Re: Portable Digital TV [Re: T_Co]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
They would be great, but the ones I've seen just do am/fm and analog tv, sometimes shortwave. Here the only real local news is via digital tv.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.