Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#189252 - 11/26/09 07:08 PM Caver Dies
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8810404

Follow this link to a story about a caver who, despite taking every precaution died

Mike

#189260 - 11/26/09 08:46 PM Re: Caver Dies [Re: kd7fqd]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Horrific!

The 6-foot-tall, 190-pound spelunker got stuck with his head at an angle below his feet about 9 p.m. MST Tuesday. At times more than 50 rescuers were involved in trying to free him.

The crevice was about 150 feet below ground in an L-shaped area of the cave known as "Bob's Push," which is only about 18 inches wide and 10 inches high,

#189277 - 11/27/09 02:10 AM Re: Caver Dies [Re: Dagny]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
"18 inches wide and 10 inches high,"

I`ll pass.

#189294 - 11/27/09 05:37 AM Re: Caver Dies [Re: Todd W]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Rule of thumb for the minimum space needed to squeeze through is to spread you hand wide, getting the tip of your thumb as far away as possible from the tip of your little finger. That is a hand-span. Two hand-spans wide and one tall describes the rectangular or ovoid hole you can get through. I have made it through spots slightly larger than 8" high by 16" wide.

Turns, particularly turns that bend you backward, will cause you to need more room. Vertical holes, particularly if taken head-down, are particularly hazardous. Unexplored routes can be extremely hazardous.

I know one cave there the guy who first explored it nearly died when a long downward squeeze opened abruptly into a room where the floor was better than thirty feet below and the walls were smooth. Luckily he had used a length of webbing as a belt and was able to stop himself and use the webbing to form a stirrup hung from a protrusion in the squeeze so he could hang over the precipice and reverse direction.

#189326 - 11/27/09 08:24 PM Re: Caver Dies [Re: Art_in_FL]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I am an amateur geologist, and claustrophobic. I haven't put it to the test yet, but I'm quite sure my claustrophobia would win out over my geologic curiosity. It gave me the heebie jeebies when I watched a video of underwater spelunking, and they went through cracks small enough where they had to take their tanks off and push them ahead to fit through. NO THANK YOU!!

#189383 - 11/28/09 06:20 PM Re: Caver Dies [Re: kd7fqd]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: kd7fqd
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8810404

Follow this link to a story about a caver who, despite taking every precaution died

Mike

Are you saying the caver took every precaution?
He voluntarilly crawled into into a 10" x 14" tunnel.

Here's another write-up from the same souirce: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8820

Precaution would involve not getting in farther than you can get out.

Here's a site that comes to mind:
http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/

#189393 - 11/28/09 11:28 PM Re: Caver Dies [Re: ]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
I don't know about Darwin, but it does seem to define operating with 0 margin for error. A sad story.

#189394 - 11/28/09 11:51 PM Re: Caver Dies [Re: ]
Adventureboy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Peoria, AZ ,USA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I stay out of the below ground areas. Morlocks. They're dangerous.

Ha Ha Morlocks, I like this Izzy.

adventureboy

#189396 - 11/29/09 12:10 AM Re: Caver Dies [Re: ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I heard on the news that they plan of sealing off the cave. A sad overreaction IMO. One guy does something stupid and offs himself and they remove a perfectly good cave for everyone. Talk about your nanny state and Nurfing things to cater to the lowest common denominator. The cave has been there for thousands of years but some schmuck gets himself into a fatal bind and they start pouring concrete. Baaaa.

#189420 - 11/29/09 02:59 PM Re: Caver Dies [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The account I read stated that they decided not to retrieve the body but to seal the cave, or parts thereof, to complete the burial. No details were given on precisely where and how the burial would be completed.

Not to worry. There are plenty of dangerous caves left - especially in Florida, with its many submerged caverns. "Open air" caving compared to cave diving is blissfully safe.

#189422 - 11/29/09 03:05 PM Re: Caver Dies [Re: kd7fqd]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
That is my nightmare!!!

I'd rather be mauled by a bear or something.

#189427 - 11/29/09 03:45 PM Re: Caver Dies [Re: hikermor]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: hikermor
. . . There are plenty of dangerous caves left - especially in Florida, with its many submerged caverns. "Open air" caving compared to cave diving is blissfully safe.

I've worked a few of those, including a cave diving instructor and an instructor-trainer, both with plenty of air in their tanks, excellent visibility, etc., and both quite dead. Very mysterious.

My brother is a master diver, rescue diver, etc., but he won't go near a cave. Swim with Great White sharks? No problem. But caves? No way.

#189446 - 11/29/09 09:08 PM Re: Caver Dies [Re: Jeff_M]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I had occasion to take a cavern diving course at Ginnie Springs, Fla (cavern diving is entering a submerged cave and staying within view of the cave mouth - that serves as your third light source). There were five students and two instructors. Ten years later at least two of the group had died while cave diving, including the instructor, who was considered to be the most proficient cave diver in at least the Western Hemisphere at the time.

#189463 - 11/30/09 01:23 AM Re: Caver Dies [Re: hikermor]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Cave diving. I am a pretty experienced scuba diver (from living on Grand Cayman for two years), but cave diving is off the scale dangerous.

Yes, if you have excellent training and equipment you can minimize the risks, but plenty of well-trained well equipped practioners have died.

I don't know what the actual stats are, but I'll bet only sports like free diving or climbing an 8,000 meter mountain in the Himalaya's are more dangerous.

anyone have a source for statistics?

#189535 - 11/30/09 07:33 PM Re: Caver Dies [Re: tomfaranda]
GoatMan Offline

I've been to this cave many times in my younger days. I've also been in the area where the caver died. It is extremely tight. The Birth Canal (Bob's Push) referenced earlier is uphill. So it must have been beyond that point in Scout Eater or the Aorta Crawl. It is deceiving by the map http://www.nuttyputtycave.com/maps.html but the Aorta crawl is above Scout Eater. Aorta crawl is accessed from a small hole in the ceiling of the room immediately following the Birth Canal. About 30' of worming your way thru straw.

Sad, sad, sad.

#189539 - 11/30/09 08:18 PM Re: Caver Dies [Re: GoatMan]
duckear Offline
Addict

I hate caves, wet or dry ones.

#189603 - 12/01/09 04:51 AM Re: Caver Dies [Re: duckear]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Caves are cool. [rimshot]

Sealing the whole cave is over-reacting. Seal the "deathtrap" passage, if you have to, but not the whole cave.

#189605 - 12/01/09 05:32 AM Re: Caver Dies [Re: hikermor]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
"Open air" caving compared to cave diving is blissfully safe.

Absolutely. Cave diving is like being an underground astronaut. You air supply can really crimp your chances of survival.

Dry caving, as long as you don't fall or get trapped head-down and die, you can live for days. If you had the common sense to leave an itinerary the rescue crews can go down and get you. Most cavers carry water and a little food. Staying calm, not doing anything stupid and waiting for the cavalry to arrive is often the best emergency plan.

Thousands of people dry cave and very few get seriously hurt, fewer still die. I have run a few trips into caves as a guide for people who have never done it before and nobody got seriously hurt. A twisted ankle, a bunch of sore, overworked and banged up knees (Florida caves have long stretches where you have to crawl), and maybe a dozen minor scrapes. Everything was taken care of on-site with basic first-aid supplies. In my opinion everyone should try a trip into caves just so they know what they are about.

Of course being rescued isn't always easy. They might, if there is a difficult squeeze between your location and the exit and you're unable to maneuver under your own power, they break your collar bones so your more streamlined. More rarely, in caves with a lot of very tight turns, they might also break the long bones in the leg. People kind of slither through when the bones are not in the way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 305 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.