The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#188989 - 11/23/09 04:59 PM Tips for teaching survival kits/skills to scouts
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
OK, I was only joking when I made a comment to our den leader about getting the kids a wilderness survival badge and teaching them how to make a survival kit. Much to my surprise he agreed and I may be getting volunteered to teach the kids how to assemble a PSK.
I have been putting together some thoughts and ideas on content, instruction techniques, etc. Right now our den is small so we meet as one group, from tigers up to webelos, so we have a mixed bag of age groups. I know what my child is capable of but not what the others are capable of as far as their skills and what items their parents would allow them to carry (specifically knives, fire starting items, fish hooks, or other similar items). My thoughts are to keep things as simple as possible for the kids (as I have done with my own son). Present some basic non-threatening items for the kit, followed by a disclaimer (that the parents need to decide if their kids can carry such items) with some additional items for the kit (matches, knife, sewing kit, fishing kit, etc.). My other thought is if these items are even appropriate (as a general rule) for these age groups. Specifically, no Totin Chip = no knife. At least as far as I know.
Here is where I could use some advice from the ETS community. I found a previous thread on this topic but it was for older scouts. What about the younger scouts? Any thoughts or opinions? Anyone with specific knowledge of what scouting will and will not allow for this age group? Any teaching strategy suggestion? I am fairly certain they cannot earn a wilderness badge at this age but teaching them about some basic survival kit items certainly seems worthwhile. I am searching on the BSA site as you read this but the info is not as organized as I would like it to be. In short ... hellllp.

#188993 - 11/23/09 05:29 PM Re: Tips for teaching survival kits/skills to scouts [Re: Mark_F]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I occasionally speak to scouts of varying ages on survival equipment and PSKs. My presentation doesn't vary much from young to old. The information is NOT age specific. I do emphasize that they will need to get permission from parents to carry some equipment, such as a knife and that there are instances when it could break rules or laws if they are not careful. I do not mince words, I do not soft-peddle anything and I am very clear in assuming they can and will carry and use their tools responsibly. What the troop leaders and parents do with the information is their business, not mine. Give the scouts the very best information you can; don't make assumptions and don't shortchange them in fear of someone being upset with telling their child the truth, as you see it, about being prepared.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#188994 - 11/23/09 05:30 PM Re: Tips for teaching survival kits/skills to scouts [Re: Mark_F]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Here is a successful program taught to 4th graders in the public schools. This is for a winter environment with deep
snow.

As most lost folks are found in the first couple of days, the
focus is on staying put, staying warm, and helping be found.

http://www.tahoenordicsar.com/Education/4thGradeProgram.shtml

The main components of the "kit" can be carried with them
any time they are out skiing or playing-

clothes appropriate for the weather
whistle
large trash bag

additional items such as knives and matches are not included
as there is not time to teach about them to a degree
that would enable their successful use. Given the heavy
snowfall that occures in this area (2 to 3 feet each storm),
a fire etc. is very difficult to build and maintain.

Extras that are useful that we show them are:
avalanche shovel
headlamp
water and snack

We show debris shelters (use edge of snowboard or ski to
knock off green branches-we bring old christmas trees
for demonstration) and snow caves.

Edited by clearwater (11/23/09 05:41 PM)

#188995 - 11/23/09 05:42 PM Re: Tips for teaching survival kits/skills to scouts [Re: clearwater]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Clearwater's program for 4th graders looks good to me. This is a good opportunity to involve Boy Scouts in the training, from the troop these Cub Scouts may be bridging to if they decide to continue in Scouting: a great opportunity for older Scouts to show the kind of fun they have at the higher level. And the older Scouts can show and demonstrate actual PSKs they have created for their wilderness survival and emergency preparedness merit badges. Talk to the BSA troop scout master, I imagine they would be glad to work with the Scouts to get some volunteers for this kind of activity, it falls into the category of good fun / good experience for older Scouts / and recruiting for new Scouts.

And as with most Scout-led activities, if you can get the kids to participate, they also will take on a share of the responsibility for the actual training, reducing the dependency / pressure on you to teach and organize it all.

#188996 - 11/23/09 05:43 PM Re: Tips for teaching survival kits/skills to scouts [Re: Mark_F]
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Don't forget to review Doug's A Kid's Wilderness Survival Primer.

#189016 - 11/23/09 09:28 PM Re: Tips for teaching survival kits/skills to scouts [Re: NightHiker]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I'll echo the suggestion to emphasize the Boy Scout Outdoor Essentials. The typical Boy Scout should be fairly well equipped, though they do tend to hike without much of it (THAT is what you should teach - gear left in a tent is of no use when the unexpected happens).

Add to that the following:

>>Whistle - orientaltrading.com sells some cheap whistles that aren't half bad and cheap enough you can hand them out.

>>Large plastic bags - for shelter beyond rain gear - personally I prefer carrying two - one for the top & one for the bottom. HD sells giant clear ones, though I prefer bright-colored bags.

>>Duct tape (small role on a pencil or similar)

A lot of folks teach boys how to use a ferro rod - with VJ-covered cotton balls. Don't overlook the benefit & simplicity of Bic lighters.

At another meeting consider teaching basic use of a GPS to save a waypoint and then find their way back to it - possibly with a geocache-type activity in groups. We've been known to do this and have them find their fixin's for Saturday evening cobbler.

#189025 - 11/23/09 11:06 PM Re: Tips for teaching survival kits/skills to scouts [Re: Mark_F]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Mark,

I often teach basic survival to kids and have them build their own PSK during the lesson. The kids I teach are at least 12 years old so a little older than your cub scouts.

The items in the kit and a good forum discussion of it can be found here .

Just ask or PM me if I can provide further information.

Mike

#189055 - 11/24/09 02:54 AM Re: Tips for teaching survival kits/skills to scouts [Re: SwampDonkey]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Totin' Chip is for Boy Scouts. In Cub Scouts it is a Whittling Chip. Only Bear Scouts or older can earn a Whittling Chip, and then they can carry an official BSA Cub Scout Knife.

#189086 - 11/24/09 02:09 PM Re: Tips for teaching survival kits/skills to scouts [Re: Mark_M]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Ooops, I thought you were talking about Boy Scouts.

Yeah, for Cub Scouts you can go a looong ways following the recommendations in Doug's Kid's Primer.

A small kit containing a few large plastic bags, a whistle, water, ...

Smaller and simpler means they're much more likely to carry it. That means they're more likely to have it when needed. Simpler means they will remember what you taught them when needed.

#189092 - 11/24/09 02:47 PM Re: Tips for teaching survival kits/skills to scouts [Re: KenK]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Many thanks to those who have contributed so far. My comments to the posts follow.

Doug, I appreciate your comments. I was actually more concerned for the kid's safety, especially the very young ones, than another parent being upset, especially with regard to matches, a knife, and fishing hooks (keep in mind I am one of the scouting parents as well and I have the same concerns for my own son and his gear). I was just wondering if those items could be left out in favor of some other options more suitable to a younger child's skill set (and maybe a bit safer - for instance, substituting warm clothing, good shelter items and warmers for matches). Or give all the options and let the parents decide what they will carry (may be difficult if the parents are not there though - a good handout for the kids to take home could solve that problem). Understand my thoughts here; a young child alone and/or lost is bad enough but a child alone and/or lost with a fish hook stuck in a finger could be disastrous.

Clearwater, good comments and kit items. I notice no knives, matches, fish hooks, etc. Any comments related to the safety of the kids?

Lono, I really liked your idea of including the older scouts on this. I will check into that for sure.

Billvann, that was the first thing I did.

Nighthiker and Ken, took the advice and also found info on the merit badge. Like you said, give them the foundation to build on.

Swampdonkey, good link (but needs to be edited) and duly noted. My intention was to get the kids involved anyway. Good to know I seem to be on the right track. Any other thoughts on teaching methods for the age group?

Thanks to Mark_M for the specific info on the whittlin chip. Have to check that out as well.

Does anyone know if the older scouts can earn a badge for teaching this? Any further comments would be greatly appreciated. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 537 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.