Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#189085 - 11/24/09 02:06 PM Lost Hiker Does Most Things Right
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

We usually read tales of someone who survives, or not, after doing everything wrong, here's one where a lost hiker did most things right.

Part 1: http://www.scsun-news.com/ci_13844893
Part 2: http://www.scsun-news.com/ci_13848541

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#189094 - 11/24/09 03:02 PM Re: Lost Hiker Does Most Things Right [Re: Doug_Ritter]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Interesting. You'd have thought with his previous hiking experience he would've at least been more aware of how much work is involved. It seems he was too surprised at the effort he was going to have to put into staying alive, given his preparations and his history.

I often wonder why people who get in this situation don't backhike the trail. Maybe he was too far in, but from what the story says, he was only a day or so hike away from his point of origin. I could see it was a tough hike to get to where he was when he finally realized he was lost, but if he knew which way he had to go to get out, it seems the effort he expended traipsing around would've served him better backhauling on the trail a ways.

As usual, not enough details in the story to understand the whys and wherefors. I guess based on what was conveyed, he did well enough just staying alive and getting himself found by the seekers.

It does go to show that it don't take much to make a situation bad real quick.

#189097 - 11/24/09 03:37 PM Re: Lost Hiker Does Most Things Right [Re: Doug_Ritter]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am familiar with that portion of the Gila Wilderness, and there are a few odd things about the story. But first, the gentleman did know enough to keep himself alive, and he did do enough of the right things.

"failure of the filter system" is not an emergency, since boiling is just as good. I am surprised that he evidently became dehydrated. The Gila Wilderness, especially the Middle Fork, is extremely well watered. The numerous fords on the Middle Fork trail are typically one the biggest obstacles to travel. The water is quite good, especially in the upper reaches of the Wilderness where he was. I usually drank untreated water there.

Backtracking is not his best option,but any map will indicate that Willow Creek is on the West Fork of the Gila. A straight down canyon walk, again plentifully supplied with water, would have taken him back to his car.

From the story, it seems clear that he could improve his map reading skills.

One other thing. People often underestimate how difficult it is for airborne observers to spot someone on the ground. A signal mirror, or the mirror on the compass in your 10 essentials, is far, far, and away the best way to get the attention of someone in the air.

One final comment. He couldn't get into the cabin? In my misspent youth, I was the ultimate ultralight backpacker, carrying a Forest Service master key on my compass lanyard. It opened the door to the resolution of many problems.

#189100 - 11/24/09 03:59 PM Re: Lost Hiker Does Most Things Right [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Hmmm, not much sympathy here for someone who gets lost on a planned hike. Maps & compass (correctly used) would have done the trick, but a GPS to double check would have been a good investment. A $100 GPS (that you can use for years) or a couple extra days charge on your rental car.

#189107 - 11/24/09 05:36 PM Re: Lost Hiker Does Most Things Right [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Interesting story, although how you end up getting 18 miles lost with a map and compass is a little baffling unless this rambling hiker went over the edge.

Although saying that I have come across folks in the hills who have no idea how to use a map and compass even though they have diligently packed one away in their packs prior to their little adventures.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/24/09 05:41 PM)

#189109 - 11/24/09 05:48 PM Re: Lost Hiker Does Most Things Right [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
It's possible that the trail junction wasn't obvious except if the sign was standing up. I've seen junctions above treeline that were pretty much invisible because the side trail was so seldom used.

Of course he should have been expecting a junction anytime now... but I've walked past junctions on occasion. (Didn't continue TOO awfully far afterwards though.)

My buddy and I came across a fellow way up on the tundra in Rocky Mtn National Park who was doing a solo trip and had forgotten his compass. He wasn't lost yet but knew he needed the tool. So he asked to borrow one of ours. I loaned mine and when his trip was over he mailed it back to me with a note that said he'd had a great trip. At least he knew what he needed!

#189113 - 11/24/09 06:43 PM Re: Lost Hiker Does Most Things Right [Re: unimogbert]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
An accident is a series of mistakes.

they key is to know when you are about to make one too many.

#189124 - 11/24/09 08:55 PM Re: Lost Hiker Does Most Things Right [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I think that the loss of the water filter was the critical mishap.

Most modern filters will allow you to process a litre of water in about 1-5 mins. Depending on capacity. Assuming that its a filter and not a purifier you are still going to have to chemically treat the water with chlorine or iodine.

Let us assume that the water is cold so you need a contact time of about 30mins. Just to be certain.

Call it a maximum of 45mins per bottle of water.

That looks bad but normally you would be drinking one bottle whilst the rest are "fizzing."

Under those conditions you probably need at least 6litres per day. I reckon that he was getting no more than 2-3.

Dehydration impairs your ability to think clearly and to digest your food. Which impairs your bodys ability to generate body heat and blood sugars.

So it follows that even mild dehydration can - under some circumstances - be a killer.

#189126 - 11/24/09 09:07 PM Re: Lost Hiker Does Most Things Right [Re: Tyber]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
There's probably more to be learned from this story than from all those horror stories about people totally lost without any clue what so ever...

What really is an eye opener for me is the obvious deteriation caused by dehydration - and how hard it can be to drink enough. I have a pretty liberal view on drinking untreated water (obviously not recommended everywhere), but still it can be a challenge to drink enough.

Dehydration may actually have been an important factor when getting lost. Neither body nor mind is at its best when you're dehydrated, and it takes a fresh mind (or some mind shattering evidence) to realize you're not where you think you are.

That this can happen so quickly to an experienced outdoors person is an important lesson for me.

#189138 - 11/25/09 12:11 AM Re: Lost Hiker Does Most Things Right [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Pete Offline
Veteran

OK - an interesting story. Glad it wound up with a happy ending! Chalk up another "Epic in the wilderness" story.

He appeared to get lost after he crossed a fork in the trail, and didn't backtrack his way correctly from that point. These days I've become a lot more careful myself when I pass forks in trails or remote roads. I usually stop and put some markers (using stones or branches) to remind myself which direction I was coming from, and which fork I went down.

Still - credit to him. He didn't panic when he knew he was lost. He had plenty of food. And he could have boiled more water.

If it was me, when I reached the sign saying "Destination 18 miles" I probably would have gone for it. I also would have drunk untreated water from the streams. Especially if you take fast running water from the middle of the stream (a mountain stream), your chances of getting sick are pretty small. Dehydration is a bigger enemy than giardia. With adequate water and plenty of food, he could have made it out in one hard day if he lightened his gear.

But given that he stayed around and built signal fires - it was a pretty good attempt. Also good was his deciding to stay at the cabin - wandering off could have got him in serious trouble at that point. BTW - I agree with the comment about the usefulness of signal mirrors. They are worth their weight in gold. And frankly - they only weigh a few ounces.

I guess what really saved his bacon was the fact that he notified friends about his schedule, and he left a note at his car. That got S&R started - and that's what saved him.

Good stuff.
There's nothing like learning lessons the hard way!

Pete

Edited by Pete (11/25/09 12:12 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 529 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.