Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#188648 - 11/19/09 05:51 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: TeacherRO]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
The questions I would have are:

1) where do you keep your knife on your body?
2) how confidant are you that your going to be the one rescuing yourself?
3) what about layers of clothing.

If youkeep your knife like I do, in your front pants pocket and your leatherman on your belt, there a a very good chance you won't be able to get to the knife easly. The stabing and cutting potential is very much there. (think Will Smith I Am Legend sceene where he is upside down and has to cut the line)

Also think about the winter, your wearing an over coat.it is long. is ther a knife in the coat too?

I won't call you crazy for not having these tools, most call me nuts in the first place. But I will strongly sugest that you may wish to have a single purpose tool for this scenario that is not in your pocket and not on your first layer of clothing. Also think about opening up your knife with gloved hands.

I know that when winter comes around I always add a sheeth knife so that I can use my gloved hands to get to a knife.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Tyber (11/19/09 05:52 PM)

#188655 - 11/19/09 07:34 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: roberttheiii]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Go to a junkyard. Try to break a window with a leatherman. Come back with your report. I think you'll add a "punch" device to your list right quick. Put it on your keychain, that's a good place for it. That's a major EDC item for ANYONE - we all drive near water at some point.

#188656 - 11/19/09 07:36 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: comms]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Stop by a local fire company and ask if they have any junk cars around back that they plan to use for extrication drills. Ask if you can punch a window when they train. They will say "yes" in most cases.

#188672 - 11/19/09 10:08 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: roberttheiii]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
I don't mean for this to sound like I am being a "wise guy", but what's wrong with just operating the buckle on the seatbelt?
Is there something I am missing?... does the seatbelt buckle "lock out" (become inoperable) when a car crashes or goes into the water?

Is there a high probability that the belt will need to be cut, or can it usually be released by pressing the buckle?

#188691 - 11/20/09 12:36 AM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: Lon]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I think as long as you've decided it's not for you, then so be it. We're not your mom. We don't now your personal situation.

Personally, I don't sweat it. I drive a bridge to/from work every day, only about 40 feet up. I'll probably survive a crash just fine. I'll get out. I have a knife like you. If not, well, I've never NOT seen a belt unbuckle, despite numerous car accidents that I've responded to. Worst case scenario? I pull out my car keys and use them, or the POS knife on them, to cut free.

As for car crashes and fire, again, not a very realistic threat. Most cars don't catch fire, blow up, etc.

By all means, if you've got the cash and inclination, buy one. Me, I'd rather not.

#188693 - 11/20/09 12:40 AM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: Lon]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Usually when a car is in an accident the rescuers will just cut the belt up high where they can easily see/reach in, espically if the door can't be opened.

Also seatbelts are designed to stretch some to absorb the impact and the pressure on the latch can cause it to jam. I've read that it was a tradeoff in design, to make the metal buckle stronger to where it doesn't deform some in an accident it would need to be a lot thicker and heavier and harder to latch/unlatch so it would discourage use.

#188706 - 11/20/09 03:58 AM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: Eugene]
Pete Offline
Veteran

If you want to use a folding knife to go through the window of your car ... get a hold of one of the AK-47 folding knives from Cold Steel. Seriously. Checkout their web site at www.coldsteel.com and take a careful look at the AK-47 under the folding knives section. Note in particular the reinforced back end of the knife (opposite end from the blade). That design is no accident - it will serve you well if you need to break glass or discourage someone from punching your face.

Pete

#188747 - 11/20/09 04:39 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: Pete]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback guys. The AK47 does look nice, but I already have 3 pretty nice folders. It also struck me that my surefire E1B has a slightly crenulated bezel that might break glass in a pinch.

Thanks again!

#188750 - 11/20/09 05:23 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: roberttheiii]
horizonseeker Offline
Journeyman

i think you'll find the crenelated bezel on most flashlights are not really up to the task of breaking unless you can somehow focus the impact force onto a single "tooth" on the bezel. And that's pretty hard to do under ideal circumstances, much less when you might be constricted in movements in a crash.

if you are serious about breaking car windows in a hurry, a single purpose tool would be best.

#188751 - 11/20/09 05:29 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: roberttheiii]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Not sure why people think there keys or knifes will through temperate glass... You need either a lot of mass and energy or a special windows punch. The little steel cone makes a LOT of difference.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 229 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.