paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland

#18834 - 08/28/03 11:42 PM Re: Urban emergency kit suggestions requested
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
miniME,

The black codura Frankling Bag is what I use. It holds about 10-11 pounds of "stuff" including EVACU8 very nicely. The one I have has multiple zippered pockets inside and out, along with a shoulder strap (albeit the plastic snaps and hoops are rather cheesy). Nary a comment from the office types that see me carting it in and out of the office. Even when they see my hand carrying my classic size planner with it (which obviously won't fit in the carry case anymore LOL)

Having a Platypus bag or similar item with you makes sense. Bang something happens to the building, haul out your water carry and fill it ASAP before the water is all drained from the system.

I generally have at least 10 half liter bottles of Costo water in my various desk drawers or filing cabinets. They see regualar use and restocking, which keeps them fresh, although they have pretty good expiration time frame.

Regards,

#18835 - 08/29/03 02:38 AM Re: Urban emergency kit suggestions requested
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
John,

First, that was a great link to your gear - the pictures really explain your kit well!

You asked about the cycling raingear; my only comment is that no matter what I wore when I was stationed in your part of the country, I eventually got wet. If I was active outdoors and it was mizzling, drizzling, or raining, I eventually got wet-to-soaked. And eventually, when my activity level dropped, I had to deal with the soaking. So I'm not convinced that there is any reasonable uber-garment short of a dry suit that will for certain keep an active person dry for prolonged exposure. Blocking the wind is important and any sort of rain gear can do that. I think some folks make a mistake sizing raingear "fashionably" rather than loosely. Yes, it is an issue wearing crampons, but I don't think that's a problem here, eh? But after you're wet and when you slow down or stop, blocking the wind alone is not enough.

So I suggest using whatever raingear you like (keeping it loose) and extending your shelter capability - sooner or latter you may need to get under/in shelter and dry out, eat, rest, etc. The good news is that I found tarp type shelters (expedient or fabricated) to be very useful for that sort of thing out your way almost all of the time. (Oops - I'm assuming you're on the wet side, not the dry side). Maybe you could fit in a Tyvek tarp (or a silnylon if you want to spend the $)?

Thanks again for the links to your gear!

Tom

#18836 - 08/29/03 03:52 AM Re: Urban emergency kit suggestions requested
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hi Tom,

Yah, being wet is an issue here (except for this winter and summer for some reason) which is why I lug the raingear around.

The cycling stuff I saw was really lightweight, but it didn't seem like it was that sturdy, maybe something for emergencies only. It was more like paper than nylon. It was supposed to be breathable, which as you probably know is the code phrase for "you're going to get wet", at least around here.

Of course the other end of that is the non-breathable stuff is going to make you wet from sweat. You pretty much lose either way. Capaline and smartwool are the saviors here.

I was also thinking about those Tyvex disposable suits for painting and stuff. Seems like it would be a good non-breathable solution and pretty sturdy. I think it's pretty light and probably pretty cheap.

I found that ArcTeryx makes very waterproof breathable gear, but it is very expensive. Not cost effective to stuff at the bottom of a pack, "just in case". Check some out in person. You can't really appreciate it unless you see it.

Thanks for the thoughts,

-john

Edited by JohnN (08/29/03 03:53 AM)

#18837 - 08/29/03 04:51 AM Re: Urban emergency kit suggestions requested
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
John,

I carry a Tyvek "moonsuit" large enough to go over winter clothing in every vehicle, in my ready pack, etc. But I never tried one in the NW, so I dunno. They are pretty nifty things to have... much cheaper by the case, though.

Tom

#18838 - 08/29/03 05:10 AM Re: Urban emergency kit suggestions requested
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Awesome descriptions and photos of your gear! I took a hint from Doug's Altoids-style tin PSK, created one, and carry it everywhere. Work, office, meetings, car, errands, etc. I figure, if it's not on me, it's useless. Same goes for a whistle. Also, I liked the suggestion on here of using a day planner... might do that myself. How about using a laptop bag or messenger bag to carry the goodies around at work or between work locations? Heck, you could even put the laptop in there, too. That would look pretty anonymous. Good luck with the kit!

#18839 - 08/29/03 01:10 PM Re: Urban emergency kit suggestions requested
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
John,

I wouldn't call tyvek suits exactly "sturdy". I have worn lots of these when cleaning up hazmat spills, and they tear fairly easily if you are actually doing anything while in them. They would be likely be torn up rubble or brush.

On the other hand they are very lightweight, and I can attest that you will certainly be warm in them if you do anything at all, and you will sweat like a pig. They are fairly cheap though, and are meant to be disposable, so depending on your application, they may be a good choice. Just don't be surprised when you rip out a seam or tear them on something, because it will happen.

Greg

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.