Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#187894 - 11/09/09 07:19 PM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Just ordered one. Looks the business, although using the Ribz Vest concealed under a jacket will no doubt give that beer belly look. laugh

I hope you were able to get it with the discount.

#187895 - 11/09/09 07:22 PM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: Lono]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Lono
To be honest aloha, I had a different mental picture of an EDC vest when you described this - much like what my brother wears almost every day, with pockets down the front and a cloth back - what we once referred to as a photographer's vest. I understand all the benefits of weight distribution etc, but this vest would automatically make me go alert if you walked up to a TSA barrier, or into a bank. It is not out of place if you are hiking, but anywhere that's trained for security screening I think the design would quickly prompt a checklist of questions that must be cleared before they could feel safe again.

Visually the Ribz resembles a body harness design used by human bombs to pack explosives.

There, I've said it, and I hope you take it the right way, I feel guilty for raining on your honest review. It looks like a good product, but I think it was good that you took it off and had it screened with your carryon. Could you assess how the design was received - by flight attendants, by fellow passengers, by others as you walked through the terminal with this on? (Allowing of course for the reality distortion field that is Vegas).

That was my fear too...the way it might look. So I didn't wear it until after the security check. And the flight was cold so I had a jacket on too. It's not very noticeable with a jacket.

I think if you don't act out of place, most people will not perceive it that way. And I really was trying not to be noticed. But not very threatening when you pull out a book to read, a phone to make a call and some snacks.

#187896 - 11/09/09 07:25 PM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: hikermor]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I often wear a photog's vest, loaded with goodies, when I fly. The point is that it serves as an extra piece of luggage and often allows one to fly without a checked bag. The vest must be removed and put on a tray at all the checkpoints with which I am familiar (domestic travel only). The same would apply to the Ribz vest, right?

And I am afraid you are correct - it does look a bit ominous (meaning not what everyone else is wearing). Maybe it is a good way to see if TSA is really on the ball.

At the airport now, especially with the new body scanner, you pretty much strip down to your basic clothes. Everything goes through the xray and you go into the body scanner. That thing is pretty cool. I guess they use it to scan for mules carry drugs and other things.

I felt pretty safe after going through security. It would be pretty difficult to sneak something through. And the point is not to try. I buy a bottle of water at the airport or fill up a nalgene, if I bring one, after the security screen.

#187897 - 11/09/09 07:28 PM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Originally Posted By: aloha
Ever since security got tighter and I can't carry my trusty SAK, I feel naked and I usually take a plastic letter opener to use as a seat belt cutter and a pair of EMT shears for everything else.

Why a plastic letter opener to use as a seat belt cutter when a pair of EMT shears does a better job?

Jeanette Isabelle

I think the plastic letter opener may be faster on a seatbelt as you just run it through and the razor blade inside cuts it. I figure the EMT shears for everything else I may need to cut.

And it is small and light and flat so not a big deal to take. And it is more comfortable should I decide to put it in my pocket.

Besides, redundancy is not a bad thing in a kit.

#187898 - 11/09/09 07:34 PM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: thseng]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: thseng
Interesting. Very similar to a military chest rig, ala Ironraven's ditch kit.

It is similar, but a little less tactical. I would have preferred a less tactical look myself. But it is functional. Maybe I can suggest to Ray to make an aloha print one.

My purpose in buying it was to use it alone on short hikes and with a pack on longer ones and camping. I see a benefit in not having to take my pack off to get at items that I use on the trail. And if I have to ditch my pack, my survival kit and first aid kit is still with me.

The plane thing just worked out that way as I got it right before my trip. I like not having to get up to get my stuff out of the overhead bin. On the plane, no one pays attention.

#187899 - 11/09/09 07:35 PM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: aloha]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

By the way, thanks for your comments. I will pass them on to Ray.

#187902 - 11/09/09 07:53 PM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: aloha]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: aloha

My purpose in buying it was to use it alone on short hikes and with a pack on longer ones and camping. I see a benefit in not having to take my pack off to get at items that I use on the trail. And if I have to ditch my pack, my survival kit and first aid kit is still with me.

You said it exactly right Aloha. Its no use to have all your stuff in your backpack if you take your backpack off when you get to camp and walk around 'naked', that's the whole point of EDC, the %'s are higher you will need something from it when your on the trail.

Glad you posted this, its something i can keep looking at for the future.

#187917 - 11/09/09 11:56 PM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: comms]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Very interesting Aloha. Is there any organization in the compartments or are they each just a large bag? Can you post some pics of the interior, and your loadout?

I had an idea when looking at the site. For a more discreet urban/non-wilderness carrying option, I envisioned some strategically placed snaps that would connect the 2 carrying bags and unite the shoulder straps into a form like a sling bag. That way you could move around less noticeably in the city but unsnap it and go into vest mode when practical. It would take a few tweaks to the root design but I bet it could be done... just brainstormin'!

#187922 - 11/10/09 12:48 AM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: thseng]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: thseng
ala Ironraven's ditch kit.

WOOT! I have fans!

*gets very still, realizing I look silly, then going into calm and distinguished*

It is similiar to my MAV and other similiar vests. This has the advantage of looking very civilian, while still being well built (at least based on it's reputation). While it would probably set off the paranoia of TSA and mall cops, I think it looks very innocent. Which my MAV really doesn't, although most things hanging on me aren't going to look very innocent. But I would put into the same category as Civilian Labs- it looks like someone is adapting high-speed designs to high-drag life styles, and I have my concerns that it might be inadvertently much higher profile than most of us want. But worn with a pack, I honestly don't think anyone would really notice.

My concern with it is the configuration of the straps. As this is designed to be warn with a pack, I have my concerns about them almost being too thin and thus prone to rolling or getting slack if worn alone. I've had that with my MAV when I don't have the X-Harness in it, even.

The price is good, but I don't see any colors other than black on the website.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#187928 - 11/10/09 03:02 AM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: aloha]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It is interesting gear, but I have one question. Have you worn it together with a back pack, and how does it feel? (Uhh.. I guess that's two questions.) It looks like you would have two sets of straps over your shoulders and I suspect that might not work out too well on a fairly long trip.

It is really nice to have frontal access when wearing a pack. You can also achieve that by attaching pouches or bags to the waist strap, although those will ride a bit lower than the Ribz pack.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.