Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#188323 - 11/14/09 08:52 PM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: dweste]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Have worn my MAV with packs small, medium, and "is he packing a midget", the wearing isn't a big deal. Now, with the depth of the pockets I've got on my MAV, getting the waist belt open is sometimes a bit tricky, but not too major.

And whatever you do, keep the chest rig CLOSED when you are taking off your pack. If the pack wants to take the chest rig off for you, you end up a bit tangled. You'll only make that mistake one time though.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#188405 - 11/16/09 01:41 AM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: ironraven]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Initial fit testing, I can get the Ribz up high enough not to interfere with my belt, so that works. There is a lot of storage room in these; I didnt get a big chance to play with it too much yet, but I did put my survival kit in it & drove around for an hour with it. My initial observations is that this can hold quite a bit of gear. However, as it is against the ribs, I would suggest soft kit only-I have some of my gear in a small mess tin, and it was uncomfortable while driving. Easy enough fix.
Another minor annoyance was the upper cross strap (sort of like part of ah H style harness). This crept up a couple of times, and irritated my neck. I found two solutions; first, ensure it is low enough to avoid creep. Two, wear collared shirts-it gives something for it to catch on before your neck.
I will be on vaca starting next weekend, so I dont think I will have a chance to give it a run with a pack for the next couple weeks. I did put my 3 day pack on with it, and, I cannot buckle my sternum strap, but that was the only interference. And, this I just have to fiddle with. The one thing I dont like at all is that the material makes crinkly noises-its durable, for sure, and could prove to be warm, but it is louder than my other gear-not an issue once its on, but taking it on & off, it is quite loud. This is purely superficial though-I dont like loud noises in the woods, including any I make smile.

#188423 - 11/16/09 06:30 AM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: oldsoldier]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Oldsoldier, I have been told that it quiets down with wear. But I cannot vouch for that as mine isn't worn down yet.

One of my friends on another forum wears his diving in lieu of a weight belt. He just puts rocks in it and off he goes. He really likes it. And that's where I got my first glimpse.

#188425 - 11/16/09 09:41 AM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: oldsoldier]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
The one thing I dont like at all is that the material makes crinkly noises-its durable, for sure, and could prove to be warm, but it is louder than my other gear-not an issue once its on, but taking it on & off, it is quite loud.

I'm surprised that more people haven't mentioned that. Watching the video that Aloha linked, it was quite obvious to me that the material made a significant amount of noise - it kinda sounded like someone squeezing a bag of Doritos.

I really like the concept, but there's just no way I would ever see myself wearing one unless it was available in a softer/quieter material.

Jim

#188427 - 11/16/09 11:49 AM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: Paragon]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

I do plan on putting more mileage on it, I just dont have the time in the next couple weeks. If it quiets down, it will be fine; if it doesnt, this may be left at home-its a great concept, I just cannot deal with the noise. Time & sweat should break down the material some, and we will see what it sounds like come spring. I hope to put some mileage on it when I return from WA, to see how it feels longer term-a couple days or so.

Bill

#188436 - 11/16/09 03:05 PM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: oldsoldier]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

One way to accelerate the wear-in effect & quiet the fabric is to run it in the dryer on low or medium heat with a damp towel thrown in too. Doing this a few times flexes the fabric much like wearing it does and helps cut down on the noise. This trick also works with stiff fabric items like Maxpedition bags to soften them up.

#188520 - 11/18/09 01:15 PM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

I am going to give that a go when I return after Thanksgiving-never heard of that, but if it works, perfect!

#189039 - 11/24/09 01:18 AM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: oldsoldier]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

Came home yesterday and found a USPS package waiting for me. Came pretty quick. Thanks Ray.

Initial Observations
I did a test fitting and found plenty of straps left over. I'm 5"8' and 170lbs and I had the lateral velcro straps all the way in. This could fit some pretty big guys. I didn't load it, so the shoulder straps will be fine tuned later.

I also noticed that the Velco hook side faces out the back between the two halves. I'll have to get some velcro loop to prevent snagging on cloth seats.

The material is pretty light and seems to be well coated with polyurethane? for waterproofing. Yes, it sounds crinkly. I may try Glock-A-Roo's dryer suggestion.

The 4 zippers have nylon strip pulls flat sewn to the metal pulls. I prefer cutting off the metal pulls and using cord, but I can see how the nylon strips avoid being caught on stuff.

The Top pockets have vertical pockets sewn inside. A couple of pen/sharpie/light loops would be nice, but tight fitting clips should keep things in place.

It didn't look that big, but after putting it on, I found it covers pretty much my torso.

Will be going car camping this weekend, so we'll see how it works while I'm driving. Will try to remember to take pics.

#189082 - 11/24/09 01:29 PM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: fooman]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Got mine today. 10 days from ordering to recieving, nice!

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 293 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.