Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#187684 - 11/06/09 02:41 PM Hunting trip a bust (sort of)
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, this being the one week of the year we can hunt elk, last friday we beat feet to our favorite elk hunting campsite and proceeded to make fire. Funny how the crowd is slowly switching from the wall tent, cot and barrel stove to everyone has new shiny trailers with forced air heaters and queen beds.

Since I had not qualified yet as a state resident, I opted to forego any actual hunting and work on some of my more mundane camping skills. My menu for the 4 days I was to be at camp included such delights as huckleberry pancakes, mountain man breakfast, deer stroganoff(the deer being donated by another hunter in the group), deer stew, chicken asparagus rice casserole, biscuits and gravy, and heaps of eggs and coffee. Apparently my culinary skills haven't waned too hard, for I made enough to have only a serving or so left over after every meal, and most of the hunting group had thirds of everything.

I do have to admit, we let the fire in the barrel stove die out at 3:00 am on Saturday morning. With a clear sky that night, the temps got right down to about 20 degrees, and I had trouble finding the bottom of my sleeping bag so I could stay warm. I am definitely getting averse to using the woods for a privy in the wee hours of the morning under such conditions, so I held my business as long as I could, then booted up and made the quick dash out and back. Since I was not going to bother with hunting, I opted to sleep in as it were until daylight, which was a good two hours after the rest of the gang had to vacate camp to get to their designated ambush sites.

Unfortunately for us, the animals once again eluded our sights. There were a few taken, and even more were poached (we were in a spike only area, and there were a number of branched antler bulls and some cow elk that were shot and left where they lay). The sheriff and the wildlife officers were running all over checking people and we saw a few get cited for having a loaded rifle in their rig while driving, a big no-no. One guy at the bottom of the hill (not from our group) managed to shoot himself in the leg and lost his foot as a result. I sure wish I'd have caught one of them poachers; it would be worth 10 preference points on my next season permit application. Oh well.

This was a much needed trip to the woods. After 5 years on the road, I hadn't really had a chance to do anything even remotely like this, and just being able to sit at the campfire and poke a stick in the embers and sip a beer was mighty fine. Firing up the dutch ovens and making a lot of really good food also felt like putting an old warm glove on a cold day. We had a couple of guys in our group that liked taking a little pack stove with them to heat up some water on location and make some instant soup or coffee or what not while munching on a granola bar. After two days of my cooking, that sort of activity came to an end, as no one had room left for snacking much while on post. We do talk a lot of politics around the campfire, and it's amazing how voices get raised, even when everyone seems to be in general agreement about a topic. We are a passionate people I reckon.

Anyways, we didn't get an animal, which is always a disappointment, but really elk camp I suppose is about a lot more than harvesting big game; it's all about the love, baby.

#187686 - 11/06/09 03:23 PM Re: Hunting trip a bust (sort of) [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I have several people that load me up with all the venison I can handle each year. Given the choice, I'd rather spend a week poking a campfire with a stick and come away empty handed.

Thanks for the story, Ben. It sounded like a great time. Nothing beats a good hunting camp.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#187688 - 11/06/09 03:57 PM Re: Hunting trip a bust (sort of) [Re: Blast]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Sounds like a great time Ben. Thanks for sharing. To paraphrase a popular bumper sticker: A bad day hunting is better than a good day at work.

#187690 - 11/06/09 04:06 PM Re: Hunting trip a bust (sort of) [Re: DesertFox]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California

Made me wish I was there.

Good post.

Thanks!

#187691 - 11/06/09 04:10 PM Re: Hunting trip a bust (sort of) [Re: dweste]
NobodySpecial Offline

Quote:
I sure wish I'd have caught one of them poachers; it would be worth 10 preference points on my next season permit application. Oh well.

You can hunt poachers?
Seems like an obvious solution to the problem, it's going to look a bit tacky with their heads mounted on the wall above the fireplace though.

Edited by NobodySpecial (11/06/09 10:14 PM)

#187720 - 11/06/09 09:26 PM Re: Hunting trip a bust (sort of) [Re: NobodySpecial]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

"it's going to look a bit tacky with their heads on the wall above the firepalce though."

Yeah, maybe, but there'd be a sign hanging underneath reading "Don't let this happen to you".

#187725 - 11/06/09 09:55 PM Re: Hunting trip a bust (sort of) [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It sounded like you had a fine time.

"... and we saw a few get cited for having a loaded rifle in their rig while driving, a big no-no."

My neighbor in Oregon was in a group that did that. Someone called for the driver to stop so he could shoot a deer/elk from the road (another no-no in most places), but by the time they got stopped and he got out, it was gone. The mighty hunter put the rifle back in the SUV for easy access, they hit a hole in the road, the rifle shifted, hit something and blew a woman's brains all over what was left of the windshield.

I'm hoping he lost his hunting privileges for life, but who knows? OTOH, maybe it was his wife he killed and he had some kind of remote trigger...

Sue

#187770 - 11/07/09 04:45 AM Re: Hunting trip a bust (sort of) [Re: Susan]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

hunting camps are like the fishing opener in Minnesota,we live for them even if the results are a bust.but another message here might be how hard it really would be in a survival situation to kill enough game to get along on,no matter what sort of gun you had.

#187882 - 11/09/09 05:42 PM Re: Hunting trip a bust (sort of) [Re: CANOEDOGS]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

As far as I know, no one in the state of Washington has ever been charged with murder after killing someone while out hunting. You are supposed to lose your hunting privileges in the state for life if that happens, but at least you stay out of jail and away from the needle.

As far as survival hunting goes, once the SHTF out in the bush, the rules of engagement also change, and I'll resort to traps and snares to catch game rather than continue hunting for them in a survival situation. Elk are real easy to snare, long as you got something with you strong enough to bind them up. Once you get even a big animal mostly off the ground, their weight advantage and most of their strength advantage is pretty near gone. Take out two or more legs and they are easy pickins' after that. A properly dug set of gopher holes in a conspicuous location does about the same to a running elk as it would to a horse.

#187921 - 11/10/09 12:37 AM Re: Hunting trip a bust (sort of) [Re: benjammin]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Benjammin

Yep. We'd all be better off if we spent more time sitting around camp fires and gazing up at the stars in the night sky. It's sad that Americans spend so little time doing these things any more.

Pete

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 498 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
34 minutes 17 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.