Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#186682 - 10/27/09 10:17 PM Re: Should you buy three of everything? [Re: Paul810]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Sometimes when I buy something and it's not right, that's it, only buy the one and it gets reboxed and stuffed in a drawer. Things I like and want to have available I'll buy multiples (two, three, more), but they aren't necessarily spares, they're just in different kits.

#186691 - 10/28/09 01:59 AM Re: Should you buy three of everything? [Re: Russ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Yeah, this is an expensive thing to do... I am one of those people.

I have 3 pair of the same shoe in different colors.

I also have the same things in my bug-out-bag as I do in my camping, or vehicle kits. Eventually a BOB won't be necessary as I duplicate the gear all over!! LOL

I have learned to buy one test, and then by more... too many times I have ordered multiple from the get-go and learned later it was wrong and ended up with multiples.

#186700 - 10/28/09 03:20 AM Re: Should you buy three of everything? [Re: dweste]
akabu Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Brooklyn NY
tools..buy 2 and beat and abuse one then buy the 3rd.If it pass's the Test.

#186701 - 10/28/09 03:28 AM Re: Should you buy three of everything? [Re: Todd W]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The expensive thing? Nope, it's the frugal thing to do.

When I find something promising on sale, I may buy one to test it. If time presses, I'll buy three. Or five, provided I can return the unopened ones. Guess I have a good eye, because most are keepers.

(We have a generous cash fund that's dedicated to grabbing deals when they come along. Unlike the poor suckers who buy the latest TV-buzz-whatsit on credit-card credit. Oy.)

If I can't use them all, they go into the Gift Box, providing high quality gifts to people who will appreciate them. (We cultivate contact with these kinds of people, so it all works out.)

I take care of my gear. It lasts. And by the time I need a replacement, I can guarantee the original will be out of production. So if it really fits, or really works, I buy spares. Boots, knives, multitools. And boots are the toughest to find worthy replacements for.

Call it my hedge against inflation, or planned obsolescence, or the flavour of the month.

#186704 - 10/28/09 03:50 AM Re: Should you buy three of everything? [Re: dweste]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i buy two,not for the reason's you mentioned but to have a spare around if the first is lost,used up or busted.example,i bought two PAL LED lights because they are just right for my camping needs.one go's along and the other is still boxed up and put away.
skin glue,got two because of the price and when i use up the first,if ever,i can replace it without waiting.a last example is a camping stove that i found to be another "just right". the Borde pocket stove is very hard to find.one fellow in Germany got the rights when the company folded many years ago.the old ones are found on Ebay for around $100 i got two.one for canoe trips and the other still NIB.if the first lasts for all my camping years i could sell the other to pay for a knee replacement in 20 years---

Edited by CANOEDOGS (10/28/09 03:53 AM)

#186709 - 10/28/09 07:36 AM Re: Should you buy three of everything? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
The first model is OK but has it weaknesses.
The second model usually corrects those.
The third model is usually rubbish.

I usually buy one to use. If it's good I buy a second.
But it's for damn certain that I won't buy a third.

#186713 - 10/28/09 09:47 AM Re: Should you buy three of everything? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i already own to many things and second and third item is just taking to much space and money.

#186716 - 10/28/09 11:05 AM Re: Should you buy three of everything? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This brings up the issue of technological obsolescence. There must be a dozen stoves on the market which are lighter, hotter, and cheaper than the Borde which was a hot stove (what else?) in its day. Don't get me wrong, I carried a Borde and it proved crucial in a really rough unplanned bivouac in the snow many years ago - it is probably the reason I have all my fingers and toes today. If it works for your situation, great. I don't mean to dis your choice of stoves.

The Borde went off the market because it tended to morph into a bottle rocket if overheated. Mine died when the fill plug blew out. I replaced it with a Primus which served for many years and is now a souvenir above my desk - it still works, if needed. Nowadays I use either alcohol or a Pocket Rocket.

$100 on Ebay? I think I paid less than $10 for mine (1962). As a starving student, I watched pennies.

#186724 - 10/28/09 02:06 PM Re: Should you buy three of everything? [Re: hikermor]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Does this apply to wives too?

#186725 - 10/28/09 02:15 PM Re: Should you buy three of everything? [Re: hikermor]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Hikermor..the Borde is not a bit of survival gear but just something i take on canoe trips for "fun".it falls in the same category as a old shortwave radio i fool around with at nite,a Hallicrafters S38,i could buy a modern one with digital tuning.
my real canoeing stove is a Peak Feather that i have used for many-many years and has never failed.Hikermor,your the first person that i have heard of who really had a "Borde Bomb".i thought it was the shape and pre-heat that gave it that bomb nick name.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.