Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#186785 - 10/28/09 11:30 PM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: scafool]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Don't forget local zoning laws, especially set backs from adjacent property lines.

#186790 - 10/29/09 12:01 AM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: Lono]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
Depending on where you live, the size may affect your property taxes.

If you just need electric for lights, a solar/battery setup may be easier than running a line. If you run a line and conduit, consider running a low voltage conduit as well, for alarm/phone/internet/cc tv/whatever.

If you might store a riding mower or other large device in it, make sure to make the door big enough.

Consider building it far enough away from the house so that if the shed goes up it won't take the house with it, and vice versa.

#186794 - 10/29/09 12:19 AM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: Lono]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Chat with your zoning people. Where I live, we don't need a permit for anything under 200 sqft (12x16 = 192 sqft). You'll fill up a 10x12' shed in no time. If you have a 200sqft max, you might go for the 12x16'.

Check locally for a company who provides formed powder-coated steel roofing to roofing contractors. There's one here that will take your dimensions and provide materials (steel sheets, ridgecap, edging, screws, etc) and instructions for doing it yourself. If two women can put one of their roofs on, you can. Again, talk to a ROOFING MATERIALS company, NOT a roofing company. IOW, shop where the roofing companies shop for materials.

When you add gutters, make sure they tip in the right direction. Allow for spillover with your rain barrels.

Most thieves go through the window or door. If you don't want to invest in a strong metal door, get a cheap one and then ask your roofing materials company (where you got the roof stuff) for a sheet of unformed (flat) metal in the same color as your shed roof, and face the outside of your cheap door with it.

If you aren't putting in windows for light, you'll need power run to it. No light at all will get old really fast.

Plumb, level, square.

Sue

#186805 - 10/29/09 03:33 AM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: Susan]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Sue you summed it up very well with those 3 words. I'd simply add "Nahm's" from This Old House advice, "measure twice, cut once". Such a simple thing and so easy to forget when you get caught up in trying to finish a project.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#186816 - 10/29/09 06:19 AM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: JohnE]
Kona1 Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest, USA
Had a 10'x20' wooden shed built on galvanized metal skids so I can relocate it as I clear my back lot. Installed translucent roof vents that allow light and air in, enough light to easily move around in the shed during the day, also opted for the traditional barn type roof (gambrel?) so I would get more usable cube inside.

I installed double doors to facilitate loading/unloading and it allows a lot more air and light during good weather, also ran metal channel across the headers with a 1/2" plywood floor to give me a loft that I could use as a nice living area should the house be compromised.

Kona1

#186817 - 10/29/09 09:18 AM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: Kona1]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
For security against both fire and thieves I would recomend brick or concrete block construction, not timber.
I would certainly avoid windows.

I would install both grid and solar powered lighting.

Consider storing your supplies in crates topped with a large piece of plywood, this may be utilised as a workbench or table, and in emergency as a bed.

In case you need to hide/shelter/live in the shed, ensure that the door can be locked or bolted from the inside, some types use only a padlock on the outside.

If casting a concrete base for the shed, consider making this bigger than required so as to provide a water/mud/dust free hardstanding.
Consider casting into the concrete a couple of steel hoops or very large eye bolts.
Valuable but portable property such as generators, motorcycles, lawnmowers and the like can then be secured with a padlock and chain.
If under normal circumstances you store such articles in the shed, you may need to secure them outside in an emergency if the space inside is needed otherwise.

Consider a lockable cage of steel mesh against one outside wall of the structure.
A generator could be run thus and provided with ample ventilation, but secure against theft or tampering.

Consider building a bench seat against one outer wall, made of concrete blocks and topped with paving slabs or similar.
This could make an attractive feature whilst providing safe storage for gasoline or propane.

Edited by adam2 (10/29/09 11:56 AM)

#186818 - 10/29/09 10:54 AM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: Susan]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Susan

If you aren't putting in windows for light, you'll need power run to it. No light at all will get old really fast.

Nothing a couple of LED lights won't fix...

#186821 - 10/29/09 12:30 PM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: MostlyHarmless]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Consider a couple of very small, high "windows" on the walls with best light exposure. Typically this type of celestory [upper] window just under the roof eaves is too small to be an entry point, too high to allow passersby to look in, easier to install without creating leak potential than skylights, and do not interfere with other uses of roof real estate - like solar or water collection. Even putting in a couple small rows of glass blocks will do the trick.

#186824 - 10/29/09 01:24 PM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparednes [Re: Henry_Porter]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Henry_Porter
I am going to replace a small decrepit metal tool shed and want to maximize it for a few garden tools and for a growing inventory of preparedness items.

[*]located in a climate with four seasons, high of 35 C, low of 0 C
Do you get Tornados in your area? There is a reason I ask....

[*]needs to be well-secured - I'd like vents to help with temperature extremes but maybe just a door otherwise to reduce points of entry. (love the idea of skylights, solar panels, barred windows Solar Tubes
[*]I'm currently saving for this project but haven't fixed a budget yet.
[/list]
With no basement, garage or attic, I have very little indoor storage, which I am using mainly for additional food storage and items that need the moderate temperature/humidity environment of my home. The shed is going to be a real boon to my organization and improving my being "equipped to survive."

Thanks for any ideas or tips you can share.

RIP OBG

#186914 - 10/30/09 09:17 AM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: Henry_Porter]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/abeng/miscplans.htm

Lots of plans there for just about anything you might need, courtesy of the North Dakota University Extension Office.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 502 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.