The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#185814 - 10/18/09 10:40 PM Re: Uses for willow? [Re: Erik_B]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Dried willow for fishing floats and surface lures; green willow for fishing poles.

#185831 - 10/19/09 01:14 AM Re: Uses for willow? [Re: dweste]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I feel like I should mention a bit about different willows.
Black willow is a big tree. It and weeping willow are very much trees of wet ground.
If you are looking for water willows usually mean water at the surface or close to it.
Willows can also put their roots down a long way, especially in clay, so it is not entirely reliable.
A lot of animals eat willow. The catkins are a favoured food of grouse and related birds. deer and moose will graze the branches.
Black and weeping willows are a bit different in the wood. Weeping willow tends to snap easy, especially the thin branch tips that hang down. the solid wood of black willow is a wood that can take a beating without coming apart. It is not really hard or strong. It just resists coming apart from impacts.

Then there are the sandbar and other small willows. The wands are actually fairly tough.
If you kind of twist them they limber up and can be used to bind with. The twist is along the length.
I mean it is almost like you start to twist right handed like a string and then untwist it and try to twist it up left hand.
You don't want to weaken or snap them by twisting them all the way at once.
You need to work them a bit to loosen them up.
When you are finished you don't actually have any twist in it but now it is flexible enough that you can tie it in knots and bind other things together with it.
Withe is an old word for willow wands treated like this and used for making hurdles and wattle walls. Sometimes it is spelled with a y, wythe.

Hurdles are like sections of fence that can be lifted up and moved around. They were made by taking heavier sticks as uprights and weaving the wythes between them like basket work.

Wattle was an old way of building a shelter. If you drive stakes into the ground and weave withes through them like you were making a hurdle you now have something you can plaster.

Basket willow is usually grown by cutting a young willow off short and then harvesting the shoots that sprout up around the stump.

Willow also makes a very fine charcoal. It is good enough that willow twigs were used as artists charcoal and the charcoal from the body wood was for gunpowder.

A scrubby willow branch can be used to hang things up to a pole (crane) over a fire too. Twisting the fine ends makes it possible to wrap them around the crane pole. You start with the fine tips and wrap the thicker part around the pole covering the tips. after a few wraps you just let it hang down with a carefully selected stub of a side branch as a hook for your pot.

In the spring you can pound the bark on smaller stems and twigs to get it to slip off as a tube. A bit of judicious whittling on the branch and the bark can make whistles or flutes. When you slide the bark back on it will shrink a bit as it dries out and it is reasonably permanent.
Some old people used to make animal calls this way.

Usually branches broken off in the spring can be planted and will grow.

Edit because I forgot to say that you want the willow wythes green or soaked again if they have dried out before you start working them to limber them up. They get stiff again as they dry.

Edited by scafool (10/19/09 02:51 AM)

#185845 - 10/19/09 03:53 AM Re: Uses for willow? [Re: scafool]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Flexible branches bent in the middle can be used as pot holder "tongs" and firewood / coal movers "tongs."

Long branches can be anchored in holes, bent over to anchor in other holes to form shelter frames.

#186602 - 10/27/09 04:15 AM Re: Uses for willow? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Weaving bird basket traps and cages.

Weaving fish basket traps and cages.

#186622 - 10/27/09 01:44 PM Re: Uses for willow? [Re: dweste]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
The infamous willow switch. I got whipped with one once by my mom when I was small. I can still remember how much it stung.

#186712 - 10/28/09 08:24 AM Re: Uses for willow? [Re: scafool]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

The classic I-forgot-my-toothbrush toothbrush using the frayed end of a small twig.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 306 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.