Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#186612 - 10/27/09 11:10 AM Re: Survival harvest of birds [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: MDinana
don't forget the plain old method of pissing off the bird and going hand-to-beak with it. I'm thinking specifically of Canadian geese, which seem to be pretty territorial. I've been charged a few times, and it seems it'd be easy enough to let it come at me and just break it's neck or choke it out.

That is what I thought also, until the first and only time I went goose hunting. I shot one that fell, but was not dead. I went out and wrung its neck until I thought it was dead. About 15 min. later the darn thing woke up and proceeded to kick the crap out of my father and me. Repeated the neck treatment with much more vigor, and it only napped 10 min. before being resurrected to pass pain and suffering on me again. (keep in mind this bird has also been shot already with a 12 Ga.)

Third time being the charm, I threw the emissary of satan out of the blind and gave it both barrels of 12 Ga. from 3 feet directly to the head/neck.

Just what the doctor ordered.......

The inside of a 5 foot by 15 foot goose blind is no place for one to share with a HIGHLY irritated representative of satan to the avian community. That bird kicked my @$$!

RIP OBG

#186614 - 10/27/09 11:33 AM Re: Survival harvest of birds [Re: Desperado]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I hope that bird went directly to Valhalla.

And not as part of the menu!

#186615 - 10/27/09 11:40 AM Re: Survival harvest of birds [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
I hope that bird went directly to Valhalla.

And not as part of the menu!

If that bird was still alive, I would have entered it into a Mixed Martial Arts fight, and let it work up through the rankings. As its agent, I would have made a fortune!

RIP OBG

#186628 - 10/27/09 02:32 PM Re: Survival harvest of birds [Re: Desperado]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

LOL, just one more reason why I carry a good old Kabar out in the woods.

#186629 - 10/27/09 02:40 PM Re: Survival harvest of birds [Re: MDinana]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: MDinana
don't forget the plain old method of pissing off the bird and going hand-to-beak with it. I'm thinking specifically of Canadian geese, which seem to be pretty territorial. I've been charged a few times, and it seems it'd be easy enough to let it come at me and just break it's neck or choke it out.

How about a net? It would take some work and know how to make one, as well as the materials. But one might be able to find good enough materials, and through some trial and error make a net that worked well enough.

One thing a net allows that some other forms may not, you might be able to capture your prey without killing it. Depending on the situation you are in, the animals could be worth more dead or alive. If you are starving, then food may be of the highest priority. If you are in a long term scenario, then the capture of live animals could allow you to have livestock, of a sort. IIRC, Geese are the animals that were first domesticated, so wild geese might be a good animal to try and raise.

#186632 - 10/27/09 03:06 PM Re: Survival harvest of birds [Re: Desperado]
LoneWolf Offline

Originally Posted By: Desperado
..... the emissary of satan .....

You sir, are directly responsible for the coffee that just now spewed all over my monitor. smile

Up until now, I thought they were just there to tick me off by blocking the road. I never realized something more diabolical was at work.

Thanks for the laugh .....

LW

#186639 - 10/27/09 03:45 PM Re: Survival harvest of birds [Re: LoneWolf]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I don't think I'd enjoy tackling a P.O.'d Canada goose with my bare hands. They'll give most dogs a serious whuppin' with those wings.

They only times they're really vulnerable to close contact is when they're molting and can't fly. But they'll defend a nest or goslings with surprising vigour.

If you want one that badly, better have a plan. A good one.

#186645 - 10/27/09 04:09 PM Re: Survival harvest of birds [Re: dougwalkabout]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I have been told that in desert regions "hunters" make a basket large enough to sit inside, cover it with brush, and sit inside waiting for birds and other critters to enter the basket seeking shade, at which time they are grabbed and, well, you know.

#186647 - 10/27/09 04:38 PM Re: Survival harvest of birds [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Re: bird cleaning methods to get only breast and leg meat.

I think in a survival situation you might want to pluck and gut birds to cook them whole, primarily for the fat associated with skin. The fat is high energy food. For the same reson you might want to cook by stewing or by indirect heat to allow fat drippings to be collected, rather than direct roasting over heat.

Also, the liver and other organs of some birds may be sources of mineral and other trace elements beneficial to long-term health.

Not to mention the survival uses of feathers, quills, bones, and other portions of the bird carcass.

Edited by dweste (10/27/09 04:39 PM)

#186652 - 10/27/09 04:58 PM Re: Survival harvest of birds [Re: NightHiker]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I seem to remember a news article a few years ago when some trekkers had to be helicopter rescued by the emergency services in the Orkney Islands after being attacked by Great Skua's.

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga07-home...;m=8&y=2008

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/27/09 05:03 PM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.