The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#186282 - 10/23/09 12:47 PM Re: The Trouble with Spot [Re: williamlatham]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
This is a situation where I think sending them a bill for the rescue operation could be justified.

#186300 - 10/23/09 03:28 PM Re: The Trouble with Spot [Re: Susan]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Susan
This country needs to find a way to tax stupidity. It would provide income for the government wastrels to blow, and might even take a bit of the load off the more intelligent taxpayers.

Sue

Already done. It's called a "lottery"

Lottery (n) - A means of government taking and redistributing money from those least able to afford it to a few isolated members of society, in a manner that is more politically expedient than taxation.

#186467 - 10/25/09 05:06 PM Re: The Trouble with Spot [Re: MartinFocazio]
ki7he Offline

Loc: SW Idaho
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
The issue is nomenclature. 9-1-1 is the WRONG term to put on the device. First of all, 9-1-1 is not universal - it's 9-9-9 or 0-0-0 in other countries.

Maybe that's why they changed it to "S.O.S." in the new version?

#186484 - 10/25/09 11:12 PM Re: The Trouble with Spot [Re: MostlyHarmless]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Its better to rescue the clueless that to ignore those in 'Real' Survival Situations. PLB's have the same problem, the rich have as many clueless individuals as do the poor and in my opinion have the same rights to rescue. Having money does not mean you will not set off your PLB unnecessarily.
boreal.net

#188525 - 11/18/09 01:52 PM Re: The Trouble with Spot [Re: BruceZed]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Here is an example of the appropriate use of technology, again from that great generator of rescues, Grand Canyon. Note that weather was a factor. It is still necessary for those outdoors to be reasonably self sufficient.

Today's Report | Recent Editions
Wednesday, November 18, 2009

INCIDENTS

Grand Canyon National Park (AZ)
Rangers Rescue Injured Man From Elves Chasm

Park dispatch was notified of the 911 activation of a SPOT satellite locator device in Elves Chasm around 1 p.m. on the afternoon of Friday, November 13th. The chasm consists of a series of waterfalls and pools in a high-walled canyon about 30 miles downriver from Phantom Ranch. The 911 activation of a SPOT device transmits location coordinates and a non-specific emergency call for help. A second activation at the same location was reported approximately 30 minutes later. At the time of these activations, the park’s helicopter was unable to respond due to high winds and poor visibility, so a plane already in the air on another mission was dispatched to fly reconnaissance over the area. About an hour later, dispatch received a satellite phone report from a private river trip leader advising that a 39-year-old man had fractured his lower leg in multiple places when he took a fall in Elves Chasm. Because their satellite phone was not getting a signal at the time, a member of the group activated the 911 function on their SPOT device. Now in contact with the group, rangers were able to work with them over the phone to consider their self-rescue options. Unfortunately, self-rescue was not possible, and weather conditions did not improve enough for the helicopter to fly that evening. With over-the-phone guidance from park rangers, trip members made the injured man comfortable for the evening. Early the next morning, he was lifted from Elves Chasm by short-haul (suspended on a 150-foot line below the helicopter) and transported to a flat area where he could be loaded into the helicopter and flown to the South Rim helibase. From there, he was transported by ground ambulance to Flagstaff Medical Center. Although there has recently been a great deal of publicity about 911 activations of SPOT devices for non-emergencies, this situation exemplifies the value of these devices when used appropriately in emergency situations. [Submitted by Shannan Marcak, Public Affairs Officer]

#188531 - 11/18/09 03:14 PM Re: The Trouble with Spot [Re: hikermor]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
This is from a posting to the guest book for the Frederick County Volunteer Fire and Rescue web site earlier this month Guest Book Entry - SPOT Use:

"In June of 2008 I was thru hiking on the Appalachian Trail near Harpers Ferry. While taking a break to take in the view from Weaverton Cliffs, I broke my leg. My hiking partner used my SPOT personal locator to call 911 and Frederick County was one of many to respond. After tremendous effort and teamwork personnel were able to get me off of the mountain and to an ambulance where I was taken to Frederick Memorial. I was treated for a distal fibula fracture at the ER and after arriving back home in Tennessee was found to also have a distal tibia fracture, cuboid fracture, calcaneous fracture and a torn peroneous tendon.

It's been over a year now, 12 weeks in a cast, 8 weeks in a boot and a lot of physical therapy, but I just wanted to express my deepest gratitude to all who worked so hard in the heat and humdity that day to carry me off the mountain.

Thank you and God Bless !

Susan
Trail name: aka Grace"

For what it is worth-
Pete

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 553 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.