Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#185909 - 10/19/09 11:46 PM What Info on "Emergency Info" card?
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Okay, you first responders that hang out here:

You're looking in my wallet for ID, and you see a bright-red-on-black "EMERGENCY INFO" sticking up from behind my driver's license. You pull it out and see . . .

What? What do you hope to find on that card? What are you most interested in?

Obviously, you're interested in medical allergies, any prescriptions and/or known medical conditions, and things like whether I smoke or drink, etc.

What about things like eyeglasses/contacts, dentures/bridges, medical history, family medical history, things like that?

#185913 - 10/20/09 12:07 AM Re: What Info on "Emergency Info" card? [Re: Compugeek]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Compugeek
Okay, you first responders that hang out here:

You're looking in my wallet for ID, and you see a bright-red-on-black "EMERGENCY INFO" sticking up from behind my driver's license. You pull it out and see . . .

What? What do you hope to find on that card? What are you most interested in?

Obviously, you're interested in medical allergies, any prescriptions and/or known medical conditions, and things like whether I smoke or drink, etc.

What about things like eyeglasses/contacts, dentures/bridges, medical history, family medical history, things like that?

Name, address, phone number, DOB, SSN (we are expected to have this, even from unresponsive patients found in the street), emergency contact info.

As a first responder I need to know your major current medical conditions, medications and medication allergies. We can see your contacts and bridgework, and don't need information related to your propensity for illness, social history or minor conditions, like your family or smoking history or your tonsillectomy at age 10.

#185948 - 10/20/09 01:13 PM Re: What Info on "Emergency Info" card? [Re: Compugeek]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
In my experience, often an LEO will collect your wallet and EMS/Rescue responders may never see or have access to the information until we touch base with the LEOs at the hospital.

If you have a significant medical condition, please use a Medical Alert device on your person; it is the standard alerting method every first responder knows. The Vial of Life is another good method, but be sure to keep it up to date, I have found many to contain meds that were no longer being used by the patient.

Pete

#186001 - 10/21/09 12:44 AM Re: What Info on "Emergency Info" card? [Re: paramedicpete]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado
Good topic.

My card has the following info:

Name
Address
Phone Number

Date of Birth
Height
Weight
Doctor's name and phone number
Insurance provider info and number

Blood type
Known Conditions
Current Medications
Known Allergies

On the other side are four main contact numbers, two local, and two out of state.

I was always told that it was important to mention my contact lenses and sulfa allergy; if this isn't needed, why do so many cards include this information?

Edited by Meadowlark (10/21/09 12:44 AM)
My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

#186011 - 10/21/09 02:56 AM Re: What Info on "Emergency Info" card? [Re: Meadowlark]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Why do they need the SSN? I sure as hell won't carry my card with me. But, in the medical field it's used everywhere, which, is scary.

#186021 - 10/21/09 09:39 AM Re: What Info on "Emergency Info" card? [Re: Meadowlark]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
I was always told that it was important to mention my contact lenses and sulfa allergy; if this isn't needed, why do so many cards include this information?

If you are unresponsive and can't tell us about your contacts, or have an injury potentially involving the eye, we will certainly be looking into your eyes rather closely, and we'll see them. Allergies are important information.

#186022 - 10/21/09 10:46 AM Re: What Info on "Emergency Info" card? [Re: Jeff_M]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Sorry, but my SSN wouldnt go on a card. The other info, sure, but with that PLUS the SSN, thats just identity theft waiting to happen

#186024 - 10/21/09 11:08 AM Re: What Info on "Emergency Info" card? [Re: oldsoldier]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

That's probably a good idea. We are expected to record the SSN as soon as possible, but it can wait until later.

#186032 - 10/21/09 01:12 PM Re: What Info on "Emergency Info" card? [Re: Meadowlark]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
The information has at least two purposes:

For field providers, your name, age, meds, allergies and medical history are generally most important. From my perspective, as field provider, if you are unconscious / unresponsive, I will be treating your immediate life threatening condition(s), while it is nice to know the above information, it is not absolutely essential. Knowing your meds and medical history may or may not steer my priorities, but I am going to treat you, the patient and your current medical emergency. Knowing you are an insulin dependant diabetic may nudge me to check your blood glucose levels sooner, than if you are taking calcium channel blocker, where your signs and symptoms warrant me to consider cardiac emergencies as a priority.

In addition to the information above, the hospital most likely will benefit from the additional information such as contacts, SS#, insurance provider, doctors, etc. which may be needed to expand upon the treatment and for accounting applications.

Pete

#186038 - 10/21/09 02:44 PM Re: What Info on "Emergency Info" card? [Re: oldsoldier]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
"Sorry, but my SSN wouldnt go on a card. The other info, sure, but with that PLUS the SSN, thats just identity theft waiting to happen"

I strongly agree with you, oldsoldier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 150 Guests and 181 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by KenK
Today at 02:02 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.