Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1854 - 09/29/01 11:53 AM Leatherman Juice
win Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
Doug,<br>I was wondering if there is any review yet on the actual usefulness and what pros & cons relating to the complete Leatherman Juice multitool kit called XE6 .<br>Also, how does it stand in comparison to other major multi tool kits or even among other Leatherman tool line.<br>Thanks for any advice<br>Oliver<br>PS I had the pleasure of seeing the whole line of prototype Leatherman Juice multitools shown to me by Tim Leatherman himself. Since that time, I wanted one production piece so much, and now, I finally got one.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by win on 09/29/01 04:59 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

#1855 - 09/29/01 08:37 PM Re: Leatherman Juice
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Win,<br><br>I, some associates and Sue have been carrying various models of the Juice for a few weeks now. The largest model is a bit large for pocket carry, but doable. So far they are holding up well and performing pretty good for the most part. Interestingly, I haven't pulled my Wave out of its pouch since I've been carrying the Juice, despite its smaller size. Mind you its also only been a short time. One question I get asked over and over is whether you can get a choice of color in the model with the features you want. So far, the answer is no. I think Leatherman is missing the boat here, but what do I know? We'll have a full report eventually, but not real soon.<br><br>Doug Ritter<br>Editor<br>Equipped To Survive
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#1856 - 09/30/01 03:16 AM Re: Leatherman Juice
win Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
Thanks Doug.<br>I was carrying around the largest juice more and more and I wanted to see if it can be a good replacement for the Swisstool. So far, its got everything I need though the plier is smaller than Swisstools' .<br><br>I wonder what others in the forum think about the Juice.<br>Warmest wishes,<br><br>Oliver<br><br>

#1857 - 10/01/01 06:44 PM Re: Leatherman Juice
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>One question I get asked over and over is whether you can get a choice of color in the model with the features you want. So far, the answer is no. I think Leatherman is missing the boat here<<<br><br>I think you are right that Leatherman is missing the boat here. I used to work in a camping store that sells multi-pliers, etc. and based on my experience with the customers, it doesn't make sense to offer multiple colors without allowing the customer to choose the color they prefer. The customer will have to select either features OR color, but NOT get their preference for both. They won't like that and it will be a problem at the sales counter. Color is very important to many consumers and some of those bright (possibly feminine) colors will definitely turn off some buyers. It would have been much better to make all models available in one or two basic colors and let the customer choose. I predict that many customers will actually select the color they prefer and accept whatever features come with it (or buy a competitive product without an offensive color). I've seen many customers make decisions like that when choosing backpacks, sleeping bags, tents and hiking boots.<br><br>Hopefully Leatherman has done their market research and won't run into a problem with the colors. They must be targeting a young market segment. It looks like a great tool line and could be a holiday gift idea for a lot of folks this year.<br><br>

#1858 - 10/03/01 12:56 PM Re: Leatherman Juice
Anonymous
Unregistered

How's the Leatherman Juice CS4 to carry? Anyone got one yet?<br><br><br>

#1859 - 10/03/01 09:02 PM Re: Leatherman Juice
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't have one yet, but hopefully I will have one of them before long. I was checking them out in the store two days ago and I put one in the front pocket of my khakis to see how it felt. I was focusing on the S2 model which is maybe 1/8" thinner than the CS4 and 1.1oz lighter. Obviously that brief test is not the same thing as carrying it all day, but I was very impressed at how comfortable the S2 was there, and I'm a real stickler for not carrying much in my pockets. It felt about the same as a medium-sized swiss army knife- not like a multi-tool at all. <br><br>I wouldn't be anxious to carry the CS4 all day in my pocket since the smaller S2 would be a better choice for me, but I think most people would consider the CS4 to be a very realistic pocket carry. I find things like that carry better if you can get them to stand vertically in your pocket. Sometimes I'll put a safety pin through the pocket to make that possible.<br><br>I think the Juice could be the answer for people who want a reasonably capable multi-tool on hand, but prefer to keep it concealed.<br><br>

#1860 - 10/16/01 06:43 PM Re: Leatherman Juice
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
I have the CS4. I love it. I drove to Atlanta from Athens to get one from REI. They were out. On the way home, the wife insisted on stopping at the local megamall. Halfheartened, I agreed thinking that Galyans MIGHT have one. NOPE! While she was in Yankee Candle, I strolled up to Sharper Image. I begrudgingly eased in (I hate malls and mall stores). There in a glass case was the CS4 and the S2. "Just got the floor model left on the CS4, the S2 is already spoken for" the teenage employee responded. Noticing the $79 price tag (ouch!), I asked "any discount for it?" " Yeh, display models are half price" (sounds good; locked in glass, it had remained scratchless) "I'll take it!" At the register he informs me that there is one left so he can't give me the discount. " I'll take two!" Now I have one and my wife has one for a total cost of $120!

#1861 - 10/17/01 03:37 PM Re: Leatherman Juice
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Being reluctant to display too much gear on my belt at work now, I've been carrying the Leatherman PST in my left front pocket in its leather sheath. If I can do that comfortably, could I get away with the Juice xe6? I picked the xe6 because it has the most cool stuff. Which one is the larger? How could I get a feel for what the xe6 would feel like in a pocket?

#1862 - 10/17/01 05:42 PM Re: Leatherman Juice
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Craig,<br><br>If you don't mind the PST in it's sheath, you'll probably be OK. Think a wee bit less than Swiss Champ in terms of bulk, more or less.<br>
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#1863 - 10/17/01 06:13 PM Re: Leatherman Juice
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Oddly enough, the PST settles better in my pocket with its sheath than without. My pockets are usually loaded with gear anyway, so I'm used to it. I simply don't travel lightly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.