The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#184972 - 10/12/09 02:37 AM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: Be_Prepared]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Be_Prepared
I will say that those inflatables are not very comfortable, when they inflate, they snug right up around your neck. Not dangerously tight, just uncomfortable for any long period.

Just let a bit of "air" out using the oral inflation tube(s). Much more comfortable, won't decrease buoyancy.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#185008 - 10/12/09 12:56 PM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: Doug_Ritter]
damien Offline
Stranger

Ive been recently looking at life jackets and life preservers from a more sporting angle - the difference being that its function is mostly to help you swim to safety.

Ive been watching videos of the collar type preservers - the ones that go around the neck and have a large floatation bladder at the front. Seems to me that these are almost impossible to swim in, except on your back.

Is anyone aware of any lifejacket designs that dont impede your ability to swim he way the collar ones do?

The only one that comes close is the military issue LPU-10/P. I havent had any experience with this type, but it looks like it was designed with a goal of enabling you to to keep your head high and out of the water, while leaving your arms free for swimming. Has anyone had any experience with this type of device?

Edited by damien (10/12/09 01:02 PM)

#185011 - 10/12/09 01:28 PM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: damien]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
"You know, that was the time I was most frightened, waiting for my turn. No sir, I'll never wear a life jacket again."

Captain Quint.

#185015 - 10/12/09 01:57 PM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: damien]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: damien
Ive been recently looking at life jackets and life preservers from a more sporting angle - the difference being that its function is mostly to help you swim to safety.
Is anyone aware of any lifejacket designs that dont impede your ability to swim he way the collar ones do?

You might want to look at the ones intended for canoists, water skiers.
A lot of the modern designs are intended for more freedom of movement.

Here are a couple of neoprene water ski vests from Cabela's
http://www.cabelas.com/watersports-vests.shtml
The neoprene tends to be a bit sweaty for regular wear IMHO.

Here is another store with a selection of life vests for canoe, kayak or water ski.
http://www.coloradokayak.com/Mens-Touring-Fishing-Lifejackets-PFD

The buoyancy compensators used for scuba usually are made with the tank harness as part of them but there are some available which are separate.
Because they are meant to provide adjustable flotation. They are used both as life jackets and to balance the divers weight and the weight of the air in the tank so the diver doesn't sink to the bottom or struggle to much trying to swim down they are all pretty expensive.
They would not be very comfortable for wearing all the time either because of the extra stuff on them.

You might want to look at Mustang's products too.
They started out making survival suits and have a lot of clothing that gives you flotation as well as thermal protection.
These are their life vest pages
http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/category.php?t=3&pg=2

This is the rest of the cataloge
http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/

#185018 - 10/12/09 02:22 PM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: damien]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The only flotation systems I've used have been Navy issue. I wore an LPU-32 the last time I qualified. The only swim stroke required or desired was the breast stroke and it is performed before you inflate. After the vest inflates you are floating, not swimming.

If you do decide to swim after you inflate the vest, partially deflate the bladders using the oral inflation tubes as DR mentioned above and swim. Inflate via the tube when it's time to float again.

#185069 - 10/12/09 09:46 PM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: Russ]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
The problem with swimming while wearing most life vest designs is that you're fighting a design feature of the vest, which is to turn an unconscious person face up.

- Ron

#185130 - 10/13/09 07:37 AM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: Russ]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
So you're basically looking for something to keep the kit afloat? (Not a life jacket). As long as it is (almost) waterproof it should float... (for a while). Doesn't matter if it's heavy, because it probably is bulky as well, and as long as you're not exceeding one kilogram per liter it will float.

When canoing, I've used bags and rucksacks lined with garbage plastic bags to that effect. Clothes, tent and sleeping bag are quite bulky even when compressed. When soaked through clothes themselves will most likely stay slightly bouyant to neutral (bobbing just below the water surface), but if there are any additional heavy items (such as an axe) those items will drag your pack down. If dry, clothes will keep quite heavy things afloat. The plastic liner will keep the water out long enough for you to salvage that bag. If the plastic is new and/or robust it will be almost totally water proof (you may have some small leaks around the opening). If used for a few days you will have some punctures and some of your stuff will be wet, some of it dry and some of it somewhere in between.

So my take on this - you don't need extra flotation, just make it water proof!

Edited by MostlyHarmless (10/13/09 07:38 AM)

#185134 - 10/13/09 09:49 AM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: MostlyHarmless]
damien Offline
Stranger

If anyone has used the the LPU-10/P or knows someone who has (or can direct me to some forum where I might people who have). I'd love to hear from you.

#185137 - 10/13/09 11:20 AM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: damien]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Thank you all for your input!
The answers here are realy helpful. Then again, that is why I put the idea here.

#185142 - 10/13/09 12:30 PM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: Be_Prepared]
damien Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Be_Prepared
The problem with swimming while wearing most life vest designs is that you're fighting a design feature of the vest, which is to turn an unconscious person face up.

Yeah - its true. Ability to swim requires a lower center of floatation, and an orientation different from the 30 degree backwards angled body that life jacket designs aim for.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.