The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#183228 - 09/26/09 05:20 AM Re: Macgyver-type tips and tricks [Re: Blast]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
No universal way to tell if we are talking about having the power cord substitute for an antenna. Best bet is go somewhere with moderate signal strength and try it. Remember the signal bars on most phones aren't very accurate or reliable so you could not see an improvement or see more bars due to unrelated changes.

Most phones have a separate plug for the antenna or they have a way for you to attach the external antenna to the built in one. If you have a mini-usb connector for power there is no antenna connection at this point. That doesn't mean the trick won't work, just that it depends on a lot of other circumstances being just right. If you have a custom connection for your phone there may be an antenna connection.

With out the connection point what is basically happening is the dangling power cord is acting as a reflector or wave guide and providing a bit of a passive boost. This will be very geometry dependent. I would expect straight cords should work better than coiled ones but haven't sat down to work it out. My last real work with RF fields was a long, long time ago.

As I said - I wouldn't bet on it but it is at least worth a try if nothing else is working.

- Eric

#183243 - 09/26/09 02:51 PM Re: Macgyver-type tips and tricks [Re: Eric]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
wear long socks. the tops can be used for and to hold a dressing on a wound, the pill from the cotton can be used for tinder, you can put a weight in the toe for a weapon, can use to tie something (they're pretty tough) rip into strips and braid for cordage (sucks but better than nothing) can use your extra pair to pack things and cut down on rattles, sweat band, put under watch to absorb sweat/irritation, cut off the top for emergency t.p. use for a potholder/heat-shield (looks silly but its better than burning your arm on a hot exhaust) trail markers, bound tightly a wick or tinderbox (will smolder and stink all day).

I have an extra.

#183250 - 09/26/09 03:51 PM Re: Macgyver-type tips and tricks [Re: EchoingLaugh]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Just figured this one out today - Coban works as well or better than clamps when you run out of hands. A couple of wraps around the things you want to stay still and unwraps easily with no glue residue or pressure dents when you are done.

- Eric

#183264 - 09/26/09 07:29 PM Re: Macgyver-type tips and tricks [Re: Eric]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
I forgot to take water to the street fair today (I did remember my sun hat). So I paid the $1 for a bottle, used the water on the outside to scrub the top with my hand and sleeve, then poked a hole in the cap with my multitool.

Ta daa! Instant sport cap.

#183268 - 09/26/09 08:01 PM Re: Macgyver-type tips and tricks [Re: Eric]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Eric
No universal way to tell if we are talking about having the power cord substitute for an antenna. Best bet is go somewhere with moderate signal strength and try it. Remember the signal bars on most phones aren't very accurate or reliable so you could not see an improvement or see more bars due to unrelated changes.

Most phones have a separate plug for the antenna or they have a way for you to attach the external antenna to the built in one. If you have a mini-usb connector for power there is no antenna connection at this point. That doesn't mean the trick won't work, just that it depends on a lot of other circumstances being just right. If you have a custom connection for your phone there may be an antenna connection.

With out the connection point what is basically happening is the dangling power cord is acting as a reflector or wave guide and providing a bit of a passive boost. This will be very geometry dependent. I would expect straight cords should work better than coiled ones but haven't sat down to work it out. My last real work with RF fields was a long, long time ago.

As I said - I wouldn't bet on it but it is at least worth a try if nothing else is working.

- Eric

If you have a BlackBerry you can use the "alt; n-m-l-l" key sequence to change the reception strength meter into an actual db readout. Of course it will still be a very inexact science.

Just make sure your background color isn't too dark or you won't be able to see the black numbers against it. (You hold alt down while pressing n, m, l, l.)

#183366 - 09/27/09 10:56 PM Re: Macgyver-type tips and tricks [Re: EchoingLaugh]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Do not carry a camo lighter! found this out today, had to hunt for 10 minutes to find the dang thing. Grass (that needs mowed) + camo
= frustrated.

Attachments
djeep cropped.JPG

djeep in the grass with arrow.JPG

Edited by EchoingLaugh (09/28/09 01:01 AM)
Edit Reason: pics
I have an extra.

#183373 - 09/28/09 12:01 AM Re: Macgyver-type tips and tricks [Re: EchoingLaugh]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Lose a lighter in the grass?
Run a lawnmower over it and you will find it soon enough! eek

Haywire is nice stuff to have around. It can let you fix broken things enough to get you home and even makes an effective hose clamp.
Candles are wax and wax is a fairly good lubricant for things that slide, like zippers.

Bicycle inner tubes are stretchy and strong enough for lashing a lot of things together.

Epoxy or polyester resin makes good patches on boats. Even if you only have rags to soak in it instead of glass mat. Cloth is not as strong as glass fibre but it might be enough to get you home.

Three 12 volt car batteries connected together with booster cables give enough volts and amps for a small welding job.

A carpenter's claw hammer is an astoundingly versatile tool.
It wil drive nails and pull nails. It will also cut wire, peen rivets, break glass and crack nuts.

#183381 - 09/28/09 01:36 AM Re: Macgyver-type tips and tricks [Re: EchoingLaugh]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Two words. duct tape. cool what can't it do?

i have found a travois to be very handy. mostly for hauling brush to the burn pile, but i have made one to haul one of my buddy out of the woods. he said it was bumpy but beat walking. (he twisted his ankle trying to kick his christmas tree down, on christmas eve)

know your knots and how to braid. impress your friends and your lady friends! plus it could save your life.

mud works as a thermal/sun shield, and a burn salve.

when in doubt, bring tp.

redneck winch. rope or chain tied to a rim at one end, a tree on the other. rim turns, winding up chain. it has to be fiddled with but its better than nothing.

you can use thick hemp rope as a temporary snow chains. wind the rope around the tire through the rim. it does not last long but will get you out of a bad patch.

I have an extra.

#183390 - 09/28/09 02:15 AM Re: Macgyver-type tips and tricks [Re: SwampDonkey]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey

I do keep track of the sites in remote areas that for some strange reason have good reception. Often I may drive 20 kms to get to the spot we call "Telephone Rock" only to find other people there doing the same thing.

Mike

We do that too.
Camping the last few days I drove to that spot often to check in... to bad it doesn't get data only voice. Still nice to check messages and stay in touch for emergencies!

#183395 - 09/28/09 02:45 AM Re: Macgyver-type tips and tricks [Re: EchoingLaugh]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
If you have a decent length of chain or rope you can pull almost anything. Tie the rope to an anchor point and to the object you want to move. Make it as tight as you can.
Then go to the middle and pull the middle of the rope sideways.
The mechanical advantage is astounding. You might only move the object a few inches each time but you can move a very large weight like this.
Chain or cable is actually better than rope for this because it stretches less.

Any metal will break if you can bend or twist it enough times. A good thing if you need to cut a wire and have no tools handy.

If you need to lash something down really tight and have enough cord for multiple wraps you can tighten each wrap in turn a few times each time you tighten a wrap you are adding tension and can get a lashing extremely tight.
Nylon stretches when you do this and the compression can be to high if you are not careful. Be careful not to crush what you are tightening the wraps on.

Use a hot wire or nail to melt holes in plastic. It leaves a raised edge around the hole and the plastic is less likely to split.
This also works for poking holes for buckles in nylon webbing.

A plastic bag with a small hole in the corner works as a water syringe, and also for squeezing out a bead of anything from caulking to cake icing.
When used with sterile water or normal saline solution it is good for flushing out wounds.

A piece of cardboard with slits cut in it to see through works as sun glasses or snow goggles to prevent snow blindness. You can get snow blindness on the water too. Heavy bristle board will work also.
If you have lost you prescription glasses you can sharpen your vision by looking through a narrow slit or a pin hole.
This can be made like the snow goggles mentioned above or can be made by holding your fingers close together and looking through the space between them.

If you keep a cheap quartz watch set to Greenwich or Universal Coordinated Time you can get a decent idea of your longitude just by observing apparent noon.

The Belt of Orion rises almost exactly due east and sets almost exactly due west.

Edited by scafool (09/28/09 04:33 AM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Bingley), 381 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.