Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#184364 - 10/05/09 07:47 PM Re: Have you ever had to use your "Kit" [Re: Tyber]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Tyber
I am seeing a trend. I wonder if it is because those of us here are "situational aware" more than the average person. Thus we tend to avoid situation that would make us need the items in our emergency kits....

It might also be that our kits have a few items meant for different situations, and not all of the items are needed in any single situation.
But as Ken points out in another thread, it is the nature of emergencies to be random and unpredictable.
If it was all predictable we would be able to create perfect kits to match the predictable emergencies.

#184366 - 10/05/09 08:12 PM Re: Have you ever had to use your "Kit" [Re: scafool]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Way back when: I left Newark at 9pm in the rain. Halfway home it was snowing. Soon Rt. 80 looked like the road to Bagdad with cars strewn all along either side, and more spinning out right in front of me. Got onto Rt. 15 and it was stopped. Got off the highway near my grandparents house but the road was stopped again. Decided to go the long way around the lake instead and got stuck numerous times.

Luckily I had in my car boots, insulated pants, parka, gloves, hat, gravel and a cheap folding shovel. I also had a sleeping bag and cooking gear if I needed it. I finally slid into their driveway around 2am. Without that gear, I would have been very cold and wet and probably still stuck.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#184370 - 10/05/09 08:59 PM Re: Have you ever had to use your "Kit" [Re: scafool]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Definitely. One question that needs asking is: which kit? Off hand, I keep three kits in my truck: A large duffel bag with my winter gear,
a backpack and light hiking boots as my GHB,
a 96 hour kit with food, water and other supplies to get through the immediate aftermath of a major problem. Between those three kits, my EDC backpack (separate from the GHB), pocket carry and the truck itself, I'm in fairly good shape.

If you consider the composite of those kits to be my "truck kit", I pray the day never comes that I actually need all that gear. I'll be cold, hungry, thirsty and for some reason I won't be able to just drive home.

#184375 - 10/05/09 10:13 PM Re: Have you ever had to use your "Kit" [Re: LED]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I am about the same as the other replies, I use some of my kit occasionally but have never used the entire thing outside of training.

This makes me think of an interesting question I asked on the Forum before.

Should a kit be sealed-up-tight that way it will be complete for the BIG emergency or more accessable so you can utilize and practice with the gear?

I fall somewhere in the middle; some components are sealed within a larger more accessable complete kit. I also consider my EDC as part of my kit and use parts of it daily.

Mike

#184377 - 10/05/09 10:40 PM Re: Have you ever had to use your "Kit" [Re: SwampDonkey]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Nope, never. Like others, the occasional bit of food, a jacket, maybe the flashlight (if my EDC one dies out).

#184381 - 10/06/09 12:08 AM Re: Have you ever had to use your "Kit" [Re: MDinana]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I've never yet needed to bug out, and haven't gotten overrun by zombies yet, either.

But I do use pieces out of my SHTF bag on an almost daily basis. Saturday I used a small roll of gauze, 2 bandaids, 2 aspirin, a large safety pin, and 3 carabiners. Another weekend I used 2 Immodium, 2 aspirin, 3' or duct tape, 1 7" ziptie, and the sewing kit.

One thing I'm quickly realizing is that my "ultralight" FAK is too small. I'm thinking of replacing it with one like the one I have in my room (the Johnson & Johnson "All-Purpose First Aid Kit" with 170 items in it), adding even more to it after some research, and packing it in a Pelican case.

#184382 - 10/06/09 12:14 AM Re: Have you ever had to use your "Kit" [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ

One thing I'm quickly realizing is that my "ultralight" FAK is too small. I'm thinking of replacing it with one like the one I have in my room (the Johnson & Johnson "All-Purpose First Aid Kit" with 170 items in it), adding even more to it after some research, and packing it in a Pelican case.

Either that or start with an AMK Comprehensive kit.

It is a tad costly, but an outstanding place to start.

RIP OBG

#184387 - 10/06/09 01:29 AM Re: Have you ever had to use your "Kit" [Re: Desperado]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: Desperado

Either that or start with an AMK Comprehensive kit.

It is a tad costly, but an outstanding place to start.

Wow, they are a little proud of that kit. shocked I know it's a good kit, but I gotta go with what's in my price range for right now. Plus, I'm not a certified EMS so I might not have any idea what to do with half that stuff.

#184393 - 10/06/09 02:50 AM Re: Have you ever had to use your "Kit" [Re: 2005RedTJ]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi

Wow, they are a little proud of that kit. shocked I know it's a good kit, but I gotta go with what's in my price range for right now. Plus, I'm not a certified EMS so I might not have any idea what to do with half that stuff.

shocked wowsers! that is pretty high!

I just began to edc a small FAK/urban survival kit, and have used it almost daily. not entirely but pieces at a time, much the same as everyone else. My personal favorite use so far was to re-tape an ankle wrap this morning. She sat in slack-jawed amazement that I had sport tape on hand. cool
I have an extra.

#184403 - 10/06/09 10:03 AM Re: Have you ever had to use your "Kit" [Re: EchoingLaugh]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: EchoingLaugh

shocked wowsers! that is pretty high!

I just began to edc a small FAK/urban survival kit, and have used it almost daily. not entirely but pieces at a time, much the same as everyone else. My personal favorite use so far was to re-tape an ankle wrap this morning. She sat in slack-jawed amazement that I had sport tape on hand. cool

Keep in mind you are seeing the manufacturer's retail price. They can be found for less in some locations. Really no need for EMS training with the Comprehensive kit, and I bet by the time you collect all the odd and ends included it would cost more. Trust me, I have always been really proud of these kits except for one minor detail.... More Kerlix and 4x4's

RIP OBG

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.