Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#184028 - 10/02/09 05:08 PM Kukri recommendations
Matthew_L Offline

Loc: Rabat, Morocco
I am in the market for a kukri knife as a general do-it-all survival tool. I am actually quite familiar with kukris having lived in Nepal for two years two decades ago, but I am not looking for a traditional polished knife.

I am looking for something small-to-medium-size as kukris go, with a matte or unpolished finish. I don't need the traditional accessory knives but I would need a rugged sheath. I know that some of the US kukri importers have come and gone in recent years.

Does anyone have any recent experience with vendors and knives like this that they'd like to share? Thanks!

#184033 - 10/02/09 05:52 PM Re: Kukri recommendations [Re: Matthew_L]
horizonseeker Offline
Journeyman

himalayan import has one of the best service/product in the market.

bladeforum subforum with deal of the day:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=739

or their store:
http://www.himalayan-imports.com/

shipping from reno, us so it might take a bit of time getting to you in morocco but I have purchased from them and the service was always fast.

#184044 - 10/02/09 07:31 PM Re: Kukri recommendations [Re: horizonseeker]
DannyL Offline

Loc: SE Alaska

#184088 - 10/02/09 11:35 PM Re: Kukri recommendations [Re: DannyL]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
I bought the kabar kukri through amazon for about $45 and am quite happy with it. It's a serious tool. The sheath is leather, and serviceable.

There are at least two vendors on amazon with free shipping, if you have amazon prime.

#184134 - 10/03/09 11:11 AM Re: Kukri recommendations [Re: tomfaranda]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Since you seem to be based in Morocco right now it might be convenient to order one from Tora. They're based in the UK and while I have not yet personally handled any of their products they have been recommended to me by people I trust when it comes to kukris.

http://www.torablades.com/

Anyway, how is life over in Rabat? It's been some years since I travelled around those parts (pre-9/11), interesting place to stop by for a while.

#184151 - 10/03/09 02:05 PM Re: Kukri recommendations [Re: Tom_L]
Matthew_L Offline

Loc: Rabat, Morocco
Thanks all for the comments. I have been doing some surfing and the "raw" (unpolished) series at Khukuri House looks pretty interesting. Anyone have any experience with their products or service?

Thanks for the thoughts, Tom L, but while I am based in Morocco it's much easier and cheaper for me to get my mail via the USA (I am posted overseas with the State Department).

I have only been in Morocco for about a month but I am generally impressed in that while there is a long way to go in terms of development (high unemployment, high illiteracy, etc.) it seems to be a country on the move. The political freedoms are a relative breath of fresh air for the region.

#184164 - 10/03/09 04:23 PM Re: Kukri recommendations [Re: Matthew_L]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Matthew_Long
Thanks all for the comments. I have been doing some surfing and the "raw" (unpolished) series at Khukuri House looks pretty interesting. Anyone have any experience with their products or service?

No. Having said that however, I did receive one as a gift and it hasn't left the bookcase. Here's why:

The handle is carved in such a way (with a ridge in the grip and the flare at the hilt) that I'm pretty sure it'll blister me up when the knife is used with a chopping motion. That's entirely speculation on my part, and some reshaping would fix this, but that's more time and effort than I want to invest.

The sheath is of mediocre quality - the leather is barely acceptable and the stitching loose enough that I wouldn't expect to have the knife more than a day or two if I were crashing through the brush with it on my pack or belt. Regardless, a month of heavy use or a season of moderate use would be its demise. (Unless you happen to be using it in Morocco, perhaps?)

But it sure does look nice in the bookcase with all the other spearpoints and such.

#184172 - 10/03/09 05:46 PM Re: Kukri recommendations [Re: DannyL]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: DannyL

I have one.

Well worth the $15 I paid... add some grip-tape to the handle and a good blade for utility work!

#184278 - 10/04/09 11:56 PM Re: Kukri recommendations [Re: Matthew_L]
SCKAUTOCRAFT Offline
Stranger

Cold Steel. Absolutely. End of discussion.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.