Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#184177 - 10/03/09 06:32 PM Re: How decide how much to help and share? [Re: adam2]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I also keep a dozen homemade disposable battery lights, they are cheaper than chemical light sticks, give more light, for longer, and can be turned off."

Please explain.

Sue

#184248 - 10/04/09 03:58 PM Re: How decide how much to help and share? [Re: Susan]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Susan
"I also keep a dozen homemade disposable battery lights, they are cheaper than chemical light sticks, give more light, for longer, and can be turned off."

Please explain.

Sue
Seconded. Google left me empty.

#184251 - 10/04/09 04:49 PM Re: How decide how much to help and share? [Re: Compugeek]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I am not sure if I have his home made light idea right, but I think if you google "Throwies" you might find something.

I suspect you can live without the magnet, but I could see it coming in handy if you want to stick the light some place with a steel surface to attach it to.

#184301 - 10/05/09 06:56 AM Re: How decide how much to help and share? [Re: Compugeek]
adam2 Online   content
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: Compugeek
Originally Posted By: Susan

Please explain.

Sue
Seconded. Google left me empty.

These are very simple, some would say crude.

A plastic battery holder for 2D cells, with a 2.4 volt 0.7 amp flashlight bulb.
The bulb is soldered to two short pieces of wire, which are soldered to the terminals of the battery holder.
No switch is needed, insert batteries to light, remove batteries to turn off.

Run time 10 hours continous or about 15 hours total of intermitant use, with alkaline cells

Cost of battery holder about 25 pence, cost of bulb 5 pence, wire and solder ,estimate less than a penny.
Alkaline D cells if bought in bulk are less than £1.00 for two.

Total cost about £1.00/£1.25, glow sticks cost more than that and give a lot less light.

I also made some smaller versions with 2 AA cells and a 0.3 amp bulb, these are smaller and lighter in weight and use cheaper batteries, but the run time and light output are less.

Although very basic, these are reliable due to the small number of potential loose contacts.
They are cheap enough to give away, and I allways keep some to hand.

#184303 - 10/05/09 08:54 AM Re: How decide how much to help and share? [Re: adam2]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: adam2

A plastic battery holder for 2D cells, with a 2.4 volt 0.7 amp flashlight bulb.
The bulb is soldered to two short pieces of wire, which are soldered to the terminals of the battery holder.
No switch is needed, insert batteries to light, remove batteries to turn off.

Great thinking!

Those could easily be upgraded with LED replacements, such as this:
Niteize LED bulb replacement
The manufacturer claims 50 hours on 2 D cell batteries. Unverified, but likely.

The bad news is that the cold white LEDs will not create the atmosphere as a dimmed incan bulb when the family huddles up for noodles in the living room...

#184304 - 10/05/09 09:03 AM Re: How decide how much to help and share? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
adam2 Online   content
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
The use of an LED retrofit would certainly greatly extend the run time, but a cost of $10/£6 would no longer be a throwaway item.

I also suspect that an LED retrofit bulb would be destroyed by the heat of soldering wires to it.

For my own use, not for giveaways I have some lights that use 4D cells and a miniture screw base bulb holder.
These use either a 5 volt 0.5 amp incandescent bulb for a run time of 20/30 hours or an screwbase LED lamp for 100+ hours.

#184315 - 10/05/09 01:05 PM Re: How decide how much to help and share? [Re: adam2]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Slick. VERY slick.

#184323 - 10/05/09 02:32 PM Re: How decide how much to help and share? [Re: Compugeek]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Adam2 hits a good point about expensive gear vs. cheaper items. I actually go with cheaper gear on about 85% of my kit. Some items you just can't get away from b/c of bias. I invested in a RSK Mk1 but Moras are great too and 10% of the cost. But the bulk of my EDC and packs are very basic.

I destroy a lot of gear. When was the last time most people bought a magnesium block and used it down to the mishmash starter? Me, all the time. If I bought something b/c it's 'cool', and didn't put it through hardcore testing to see if it holds up, I might as well not have it at all.

Consequently, I have become a raving fan of some brands and will push people away from others. Its one thing to tell someone you own 'X' item, its another to say, I put that thing through the ringer and did great.

#184361 - 10/05/09 07:20 PM Re: How decide how much to help and share? [Re: adam2]
LED Offline
Veteran

Neat idea. But if you wanted to store the light with the batteries inside could you put a removable plastic spacer between the batteries?

#184367 - 10/05/09 08:22 PM Re: How decide how much to help and share? [Re: LED]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I approach the topic of the thread with the mindset that I always want a little something in reserve for myself and those closest to me.

I put the easiest to get to stuff in what I call modules or kits which in their smallest form are contained in sealed plastic freezer bags. I bundle a day's food per bag for example. Other bundles are complete personal toiletry sets probably good for 4-5 days. Water is primarily a purchased in individual plastic bottles.

I have bulk supplies in waterproof plastic tubs; almost all of which contain only large individually sealed containers. I have a lot of water in multi-gallon containers.

If pressed I would admit to a discrete duplicate stash of everything kept nearby but not readily visible or as easily accesible. I hope that not even looters or well-meaning do-gooders would find this stuff.

I have taken the same approach to my tools, hardware, lubricants, batteries, and everything else.

So, strangers or those passing through might get a plastic freezer bag or two, and some bottles of water. Closer family and friends might get aa bulk package or two plus several freezer bag kits, and a case or two of water in bottles.

This does not take into account my EDC or BOB which remain with me or under my control, nor does it include my vehicle "kit."

Edited by dweste (10/05/09 08:25 PM)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 574 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.