Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#183863 - 10/01/09 01:04 PM You have to Bug out, do you want to be found?
CAL Offline
Stranger

Loc: Somewhere between lost and fou...
This is my first post, I have replied to several and lurked here for a while, but this is my first. I respect your opinions, admire your knowledge and look forward to your helpful advice.

I understand that there are times when you need to be rescued and would do everything to assist in that outcome. I was in Hurricane Katrina. I have been in Blizzards in Vermont and Maine. I have survived tornados in Alabama. I guess my question is more for the EOTWAWKI scenario.

I don't know how this happened but, I have ended up with two sets of bug out equipment, one to survive until help arrives and more stealthy equipment to survive on my own.

Is this normal or is it just a sign of the times?
Am I just really messed up?
Is there any hope for me?

#183870 - 10/01/09 01:54 PM Re: You have to Bug out, do you want to be found? [Re: CAL]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I personally keep all options open. Nothing like a few safety vests for when you want to be seen, and easily removed if not.

RIP OBG

#183872 - 10/01/09 01:56 PM Re: You have to Bug out, do you want to be found? [Re: CAL]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Well, my bug out clothes and most gear are in "low observable" colors, but wouldn't look out of place on a bus or in a Red Cross shelter, either (no camo). But I also have a blaze orange rain cover that reverses to olive drab, blaze orange bandanas, and a number of signaling devices. There are lots of woods hereabouts to hide out in during a sudden outbreak of temporary craziness. I don't expect it to happen, but "nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition," either.

#183873 - 10/01/09 01:57 PM Re: You have to Bug out, do you want to be found? [Re: Desperado]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I have a neon orange backpack and a black backpack.

Both have utility.

Welcome to ETS.

#183877 - 10/01/09 02:04 PM Re: You have to Bug out, do you want to be found? [Re: Dagny]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I personally think that if you're not planning specifically for it, then it just happens. It's a reflection of your shopping habits: REI versus Army/Navy stores vs. Hunters-R-Us down the road.

If you're like me, you grab bargains when you can and frequent a bunch of outdoor-oriented places. So while I have a blue Kelty backpack, I also have a coyote-colored BOB. My sleeping bag is bright blue from TNF, but I have a camo bivy bag. Most of my pants are khaki or OD, but tops are reds and blues. I do intentionally have a few blaze-orange items (hat, bandana), but mainly this was b/c I used to day hike in places that allowed hunting.

I think it just happened cuz something was on sale, or had features I liked. I suppose I could seperate stuff by "seen or not" but really, I just use what I feel most functional, at a rational price.

#183880 - 10/01/09 02:25 PM Re: You have to Bug out, do you want to be found? [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
There seems to be a pattern developing......

RIP OBG

#183882 - 10/01/09 02:30 PM Re: You have to Bug out, do you want to be found? [Re: MDinana]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Do I want to be found? Depends. If bugging out due to a city wide evac or emergency situation, then yes I would probably want to be found or at least file a 'flight plan' with my POC's. Found could just be putting a signal on my house if bugging in.

There's lot of reasons to not be found and some of those include when your bugging out and people know your coming to them, to flee threats and such.

#183888 - 10/01/09 02:45 PM Re: You have to Bug out, do you want to be found? [Re: comms]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Consider the fact that the story of the survivers throughout history has largely been a story about refugees.

#183903 - 10/01/09 03:46 PM Re: You have to Bug out, do you want to be found? [Re: Jeff_M]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Depending on the reason I had to bug out.

#183944 - 10/01/09 11:44 PM Re: You have to Bug out, do you want to be found? [Re: Todd W]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
A lot of my gear is pretty drab.
I also seem to have a lot of stuff in black, but not so much any more.
I was in a store getting some winter clothes today and almost bought a fleece balaclava until I realized how much it looked like a Ninja hat.

Getting lost or found depends totally on the needs.

Military camo might not be the best camo either.
It tends to make you stand out in a crowd for one thing.

I might point out that areas with low populations are hard to hide in.
Almost anything you do signals your presence.
Cities and large crowds are easier to disappear into.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 538 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.