Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#183614 - 09/29/09 11:01 PM Re: The Fire Alarm Sounds. Do you... [Re: MartinFocazio]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
OK, something here reminded me of an incident with my family a couple of years ago on Long Island.

We were in the Ikea store in Hicksville, New York (yes, it's a real place) and the fire alarm sounded. I grabbed my son's hand, my wife grabbed my daughter's hand (#3 was on the way) and we looked for the nearest fire exit.

We went to the door, and I paused for a second to feel it, and noticed that NOBODY EVEN STOPPED SHOPPING. I mean like not even a pause!

Well, we opened the door, waited a moment, and then they announced that it was a false alarm - but I mean, gee, don't you even think that maybe a move TOWARD the fire exit is in order until you know?

Tell me Martin,

What structure worries you more:
Your office
Ikea
a public indoor arena.

I was involved in a Mass Casualty Exercise as a volunteer trying to evacuate a large old arena in the area.

The ushers and security made it out fine. They were closest to the exits.

(I "died")

RIP OBG

#183657 - 09/30/09 01:03 AM Re: The Fire Alarm Sounds. Do you... [Re: Desperado]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I get the heck out, period. Even if the alarm went off every day for a week before that and they were all false alarms.

Is it a real fire or a false alarm? I don't know unless I see smoke or flames. But I'm not betting my life on a hunch. As someone pointed out in the other thread, you have a LOT less time to react than most people think. A lot of people believe they'll have 5 minutes or more to decide what to do. In most major fires, 1 minute would have been pushing it.

I know a lot about fire codes because it's my job. Every four years the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) comes out with a new code book. And every new version has tons of changes. Know how they come up with these changes? They review every death due to fire, and investigate how the lives could have been saved. They then re-write the codes to include the changes. The codes are said to be "written in blood" for that reason.

#183662 - 09/30/09 01:25 AM Re: The Fire Alarm Sounds. Do you... [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
That was me talking about how little time one has.

the 90 seconds the Discovery Channel gave was very optimistic.

RIP OBG

#183689 - 09/30/09 09:17 AM Re: The Fire Alarm Sounds. Do you... [Re: Desperado]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I would be tempted to ignore a fire alarm if in low risk premises from which escape is easy.
In a higher risk situation I would evacuate promptly.

Low risk IMHO includes ground floor, small simple premises with plenty of exits and daylight.
Small shops, bars and restaurants (ground floor only) especialy if I am familiar with the premises.
The ground floor only of large retail outlets.
Ground level railway stations.

In higher risk premise I would probably evacuate promptly, examples of what I would consider to be high risk include theatres, cinemas and similar crowded places, anything not on the ground floor, and workplaces handling hazardous materials.

#183714 - 09/30/09 01:37 PM Re: The Fire Alarm Sounds. Do you... [Re: Desperado]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Since meeting the firefighter in full turn-outs and scba I mentioned in the previous thread, and the one gloriously aflame hotel....

YEP

And I don't care how many times the darn thing has gone off in the preceding days/weeks/months.

I recently worked with a medically retired FF that still keeps his bail-out rig in his hotel room. I bet he makes it to the ground before the folks on the first floor make it out the door.

I do the same thing!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 625 Guests and 132 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.