Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#183411 - 09/28/09 11:55 AM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: Tarzan]
Naseem Offline

Loc: Guyana, South America
I think using straight bleach might be too strong and can burn and peel skin.

My advice is to get a tube of Anthisan cream and keep it handy. Applied to most insect bites, it will provide excellent relief after about 5 mins.

Nas.

#183412 - 09/28/09 12:47 PM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: Naseem]
mho1970 Offline
Stranger

Loc: KY
Old wives Tale......

Put a penny over the "Bite/Sting" and it will draw out the venom. Tape it over the site overnight and there will be no soreness in the morning.

Never tried it but I haven't been stung in years either.

#183451 - 09/28/09 11:54 PM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: Naseem]
NAro Offline
Addict

I'm not sure Anthisan cream is available in the U.S., but it is an antihistamine cream. Probably benedryl cream would do the same thing.

There is sound advice in this thread from two medical professionals, amidst home remedies that "may" help and "might not" do harm. Primium non nocere.

Some of my woods buddies are good ole country boys. They'd put napalm on poison ivy; waste good whisky on a cut; slash and suck a snake bite; smear butter on a burn. I just hope I'm never stung, bitten, or injured to the point that I can't ward off their attempts to help. I rememember watching silently while one of them painted another's sadle sored rump with "Skin Shield Liquid Bandage and Pain Reliever". Man, the hollering almost caused the horses to stampede.

Primium non nocere -first, do no harm.

#184016 - 10/02/09 03:43 PM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: NAro]
sodak Offline
Addict

Meat tenderize contains papraine, which I think helps break down the venom in stings. It works pretty good.

#184084 - 10/02/09 11:22 PM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: sodak]
NAro Offline
Addict

Personally I've never found that(papain)to be the case.. YMMV. But it is a single-purpose addition to a FAK, and I tend to go for products with multi-purposes. I've used Benedryl cream or .5% cortisone cream (I think I have one with a bit of lidocaine in it for topical pain relief.. but not sure of the lidocaine) for stings (mosquito to hornets), poison ivy, "boat butt" (rash from days in a wet bathing suit) etc.

But in essence this is a matter of comfort more than anything I'd consider critical. Keep any of the above problems clean and avoid scratching (risking bacterial infections if you scratch), and you probably going to survive.

#184238 - 10/04/09 02:34 PM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: NAro]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I guess I should have framed this question different. Since I already carry concentrated bleach in my kit as a water purification agent, its uses could be expanded to include relief of hymenoptera stings.
I can attest to the efficacy and immediacy of the concentrate on stings. As soon as a few drops are dribbled onto the sting side and rubbed in, the pain is eradicated. There is no post-sting itching at the site and swelling is halted.
Immediately after the bleach was applied, it was flushed off with copious amounts of cold water, thereby assuaging worries about chemical burns. Having worked around pool chemicals for many years, I have never had bad side effects if immediately washing the concentrate off skin.
I would like to remind many of you that close minded people tend to be poor survivors. I am not advocating for any particular treatment, but dismissing things out of hand without consideration has been the road to ruin for many folks in emergency circumstances

#184270 - 10/04/09 10:54 PM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: Tarzan]
NAro Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Tarzan
I would like to remind many of you that close minded people tend to be poor survivors. I am not advocating for any particular treatment, but dismissing things out of hand without consideration has been the road to ruin for many folks in emergency circumstances

Sorry... I missed it. Didn't notice anyone being closed minded or dismissing things out of hand without consideration. I thought people were offering thoughtful opinions. Silly me.

#184281 - 10/05/09 12:47 AM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: NAro]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: NAro
Originally Posted By: Tarzan

Sorry... I missed it. Didn't notice anyone being closed minded or dismissing things out of hand without consideration. I thought people were offering thoughtful opinions. Silly me.

Naro, are you being sarcastic?
Nicely done.

Tarzan, I am So Sorry about being closed minded.
Here let me try to correct that failing on my part!

From http://www.fireant.net/Bites/
Quote:
Home Remedy for Treating Fire Ant Bites:

There are numerous home remedies for fire ant bites. We list some here for educational purposes only, with no guarantee that they will work.

Please Note: If you have an allergic reaction to fireant bites,
please seek medical attention, rather than trying a home remedy.

* Take an antihistamine (like Benadryl) to help prevent allergic reactions and swelling

* After washing the bites, quickly (within 15 minutes) apply:

o Worcestershire sauce. Cover the bite(s) with a paper towel and saturate with the sauce. Read more.
o Topical steroid cream such as a 1/4% or stronger hydrocortisone cream.
o Baking soda and water (thick paste)
o Bleach and water (half and half)
o Meat tenderizer and water (thick paste)
o Alcohol
o Ammonia alone, or alternately applying ammonia and hydrogen peroxide with two rags, cotton balls, or paper towels.
o Vinegar. (This is the suggested solution for use with box jellyfish.)
o Crushed aspirin (thick paste). May help even after a day.
o Salt (thick paste)
o Tea Tree oil (may also be good for other insect bites, such as, chiggers, fleas and mosquitoes)
o Aloe jell
o Dishwashing liquid
o Freshly cut onion

These can reduce the pain and itching. You can carry a small spray bottle of one of these mixtures with you to use immediately if you know you will be in an infested area that is not close to the house.

* Apply an ice cube to reduce pain and itching

Note that the site referred to is flogging their own miracle panacea insect and jelly fish treatment.
They were kind enough to include an ingredient list for their super solution too.
Quote:
Water, Walnut Shells, Emulsifying Wax NF, Pentaerythrityl Tetracapryate/Caprate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Cetrearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Sodium Bicarbonate, Papain, Alcohol Denat, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Propylparaben and Phenoxyethanol

The walnut shells are there as an abrasive because you are supposed to scrub this into the skin just enough to mildly abrade it. The water and wax are really just carriers.
There is some papain to denature proteins in the venom, and some alkalies like ammonia, lye (Sodium Hydroxide), baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate)
The rest of the chemicals you can look up for yourself if you want.
Some are just soothing skin cream stuff but at least one is antibacterial.

Like I said before. I have found diluted household ammonia to work OK. A solution between 3% and 6% seems to be effective enough and relatively safe.

I am still very leery of putting strong chemicals directly on skin.
I have seen burns caused by bleach and by lye.

Edited by scafool (10/05/09 12:51 AM)

#184283 - 10/05/09 01:15 AM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: scafool]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Maybe I can finally be of use in return for all the Canadian help I have received...

The best Texas remedy for a fire-ant sting is as follows:

1) Ignore the bite once the offender is gone. It will stop hurting soon enough.
2) Get ready for another fire-ant sting, they travel in groups, and seem to communicate when to bite. The little Bas74%d$ are tenacious, so get them gone quick.

There are products to reduce the sting and itch (After Bite and Sting Eeze). We mainly just pop the residual "pimple" where the bite occurred and move on with life. Living in Texas and enjoying the outdoors, it will not be the last one you get.

Now then, if you have the misfortune to fall into a large ant den and collect hundreds or thousands of bites I suggest heading for the ER. The toxins are cumulative, and you aren't going to like the results. This is especially true if you are allergic to any other insect stings.

RIP OBG

#184435 - 10/06/09 11:32 PM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: Desperado]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I would sincerely like to apologize to anyone who took offense to my comment, I did not mean to insinuate anyone was closed minded, just pointing out the immutable fact that rigid thinkers tend to be poor survivors.
I can attest, from several first hand experiences that concentrated bleach does immediately cease the pain and sting from hymenoptera stings. Immediately after putting a few drops on the sting site, the area is flushed liberally with cold water. In the period of time it takes to read about it, the bleach can be flushed off the skin.
The pain relief is immediate. This can be quite useful for someone suffering multiple stings as the pain can be distracting.
I have worked around bleach concentrates with the swimming pool I belong to and have had occasions where I had inadvertant contact with my skin (my discolored warddrobe is strong testimony to its power) I have always promptly flushed the area with prodigious amounts of water and fortunately have not suffered ill effects from said contact.
If I were out on a backpacking trip and happened across a ground hornets nest, the two or three sting relief wipes in my first aid kit would hardly be adequate for a dozen stings, but I do carry a small bottle of bleach for water purification and I would use that to make the pain and itching go away. I thought some of you may have found that a useful pearl of wisdom and was wondering if it would have a similar effect on fireants since ants and wasps are related.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 237 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.