Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#183016 - 09/24/09 01:05 AM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: MartinFocazio]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
REminds me my whistle is not on my key chain anymore!

If it was I'd only need a bandanna, but I was thinking about that today actually and I only have one, and it's in my BOB.

I'm guessing you use the bandanna for a mask???

#183020 - 09/24/09 01:45 AM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: Todd W]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I also have everything on the list and more, but not a bandana, in my pockets on my EDC keyrings. I don't like carrying a bandana unless it is in some kind of belt or backback, but I will re-think that a bit. Thanks.

#183023 - 09/24/09 02:26 AM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: dweste]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
That was pretty easy. The 3 items on that list that I carry (I don't carry a bandana, I wear a tshirt also) are all in my front right pocket.

On my keyring - Fox 40 whistle (will be switched to a mini Fox 40 when I get one), zipper pull compass, and Maglite Solitaire

Not on the keyring, but clipped in the same pocket is my EDC pocketknife.

#183029 - 09/24/09 06:06 AM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: Lon]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Lon

So, what are your reasons for carrying one?... I could very well need to be enlightened.

Whistle (Mini Fox40) added years ago for hiking the dog. I can whistle louder than a train but the Fox40 adds redundancy. Also have a P-38, AAA Maratac, and SAK Classic on the keychain. Spyderco Dragonfly and small flashlight in other pocket. Bandana and other stuff is in the laptop bag.

#183036 - 09/24/09 11:49 AM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: LED]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
No whistle (sorry), flashlights (plural) - one in front left pocket, one in front right. No bandana - but there is a triangular bandage in the desk drawer right next to me, along with 4x4s, a sam split, 2 trauma bandages, and N95 masks. There is also bandages (triangular + roll + gauze) in the jump bag that is on the floor at my feet, with a spapre flashlight and other 'stuff'

Means I don't really know how to score this - 2 for 4 (no whistle, no bandana), or 3:4 (no whistle, but have the stuff that a bandana would be used for)

We had a preparedness fair at work yesterday - they asked some similar questions to folks walking in. When I started pulling 'stuff' out of my pockets and bag, they laughed - then the company team guy saw who it was, and said 'Hi Charlie', and handed me some 'free toys' mostly to give to my kids - a 'first aid kit' (hahahaha a boo boo kit), a couple of free flashlights (everyone got one. Basically fauxtons, but larger/rectangular) and some handouts (Gee, did you know you should have smoke and CO detectors in your house, preferably one on every floor and that you should have a family evacuation plan?)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#183040 - 09/24/09 12:08 PM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: MartinFocazio]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Did as instructed with the following results. Knife, flashlight, and mini bic are in the front right pocket where they always live. DR photon is on my keys in my left front pocket. Whistle is 3 feet behind be in my laptop pack in my modded DR PSP. Only failure is that my bandanna is in my backpack next to my bed at home since I normally don't carry one. I should rectify that one.

Good drill Sargent,

Bill

#183041 - 09/24/09 12:09 PM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: KG2V]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
I reach into my left pants pocket for my keyring - small lockback knife and Fox-40 whistle. Check.

I reach back to my suitcoat on the back of my chair and find my flashlight in the interior pocket (the single AA variable beam one from CountyComm that Izzy reviewed a few months ago. I forget what it's called, but I like it). Check.

Slide my chair back four feet until I hit the wall. Reach down and grope for my bag. Open the front pouch and pull out the Ritter mini-PSK and N95 masks. Verify that my leatherman ChargeTi is where it's supposed to be, and feel the weight of the full water bottle.

No bandana, but I do have the N95s, and like many, a cotton undershirt that could be used to improvise one.

I think I pass. No?

#183044 - 09/24/09 12:44 PM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: Jesselp]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Just tried it sitting at my workbench at work.

Multitool in pocket, another knife in easy reach found it with eyes shut.
Flashlight in pocket, two others nearby, light switch for battery backed room light to hand.
No bandana, but I did have a dust mask and a first aid kit within easy reach.
Whistle, in bug out kit, not about my person.

Is that 3 out of 4 ? despite lack of bandana, I did have other items to serve the same purpose.

#183045 - 09/24/09 12:52 PM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: MartinFocazio]
LoneWolf Offline

My turn ....

Flashlight - lap drawer of my desk.
Whistle - index fingers of each hand.
Pocket knife - left hand pants pocket.
Bandanna - whoops, don't have one.

I'll give myself about a 50%. Fingers work but probably aren't the best whistle to be using. frown

Need to get a bandanna.

LW

#183047 - 09/24/09 12:57 PM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: GarlyDog]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Fun. I found my first flashlight in about 10 seconds (in my white coat on the closet door next to my desk). Second flashlight about 4 seconds later. Third and fourth about 10 seconds later (in the closet). With the third light was my pocketknife (keychain). Worst case scenario, my pager and cell phone are on my belt (not allowed to carry anything else on belt - when I wear one)

Unfortunately, I really don't carry a knife in my day job. And I never carry a whistle or bandanna. Though I always have an undershirt as part of the uniform. And, when not at work, usually my small EDC kit in a pager case.

Good thing I'm at my desk. If I was away, my keys stay in the closet. Though my white coat with the 2 lights is on, and would be found nearly instantly.

Edited by MDinana (09/24/09 01:01 PM)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 517 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.