Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#245540 - 05/02/12 04:52 PM Re: Top ten things you'll forget on your next Camping [Re: TeacherRO]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Canoedogs,

Well, my memory is not good enough to ensure that I collected every possible item to view.

I do it with a list. I look down the list and check off all the items I decide I need for the trip. During a trip, if I discover something that I needed but didn't bring I add it to the list so I won't be without it the next time.

#245550 - 05/02/12 06:16 PM Re: Top ten things you'll forget on your next Camping [Re: TeacherRO]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
I use EVERNOTE to store all my lists. You can install Evernote on your Laptop, Ipad, Android, PC whatever.. It syncs all your lists automatically and you have them no matter what device you have.

Just uh, make sure you don't forget your phone...

#245560 - 05/03/12 01:26 AM Re: Top ten things you'll forget on your next Camping [Re: CANOEDOGS]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
i've been packing for my June 5th solo canoe trip.behind me is the main pack with the tent and sleeping gear.
what i have noticed,inspired by this this thread,is that i don't make out a list but do it by "eyeballing".
with the stuff sack with the tenting gear packed i moved on to the clothing.by eye balling i mean that i set out each bit of clothing on the living room floor next to the stuff sack and ask myself if i have what i need based on past trips,one set of spare shirt and pants,four sets of soxs,the back up TP and matches,you know the normal camp stuff.
i do the same with the food.it gets set out the same way.each dinner, breakfast and lunch spread out so i can see it and count it off before its broken up into thirds and put away.i break up the dinners that way so i'm not opening a big bag to the damp but just a few at a time even if each one is in it's own zip lock.
maybe i'm just one of those people who has to visualize things to make sense of them but with everything,and i mean everything right down to the last Bic set out in front of me the prospect of forgetting is nil.
and i should say in the process quite a bit is seen as overload and left home.

I do it the same way, Canoedogs. I usually start 3 or 4 days before a trip, doing each group at a time, finishing them all and then packing it all up. I have a list too, but am not comfortable without the visual check.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#245588 - 05/03/12 08:03 PM Re: Top ten things you'll forget on your next Camping [Re: bacpacjac]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway

Sometimes I'll jot down a more detailed inventory of what I need for the next trip, but most of the time I just run checklists in my head. "OK, so I go to sleep - what do I need? Toothbrush, toothpaste, sleeping bag, ground sheet, tent, clothing appropriate for the season". "OK, let's eat breakfast - what do we need? Cocking gear, fuel, oatmeal, spoon, bowl, COFFEE, ..."

Far from foolprof - but I've yet to forget something really important. Some minor stuff has been left behind, mostly additional nice-to-have comfort or play items that we intended to enjoy on that particular trip.

I've played with the idea of keeping more detailed inventory of everything on every trip but nah, it's too much hassle. I'll start on writing a checklist just to get the juices flowing and then do the rest in my head.

I reserve checklists for really important stuff that can't be done before the last minute. Such as "move frozen food from the freezer to the cooler" or "pack phone charger in the morning".

#245593 - 05/03/12 09:33 PM Re: Top ten things you'll forget on your next Camping [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Pack "rooms".

What do I need for the house, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and closet (clothing).

I find doing one room at a time, with the items laid out on the floor, helps me to see any missing items.

Just a method that works for me.

#245595 - 05/03/12 10:12 PM Re: Top ten things you'll forget on your next Camping [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good idea...but. the top ten things get forgotten because they don't memory associate well.

I recommend lists and more lists...and then check your list against some published ones.And now that most phones can carry easy to see and use list making software...More fun

#245597 - 05/04/12 03:07 AM Re: Top ten things you'll forget on your next Camping [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
My system is pretty simple, since I rely on my camping gear as much as part of my disaster plan as for recreation.

Every time I return from camping I unpack everything, lay it all out, inventory what needs to be replaced, wash/clean/dry/repack things that need it, and then go out shopping the next day to restock. The camping gear has enough non-perishable food for 3 people for 72 hours, though I usually add and consume fresh foods for an actual camping trip. I even vacuum-seal 3 days worth of kibble for the dog (plus she has her own mini bug-out-bag).

The net result is that when pressed we can load-up the Jeep for a trip in less than 30 minutes, stop at the store to stock up on food, and be 100 miles away in 3 hours (traffic cooperating). Not just for an emergency, but for spontaneous camping excursions as well.

Hopefully I'll find time to start working on my micro-camper this year so packing for a trip will entail hitching-up the trailer and driving off.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.