Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#182411 - 09/17/09 11:07 AM Re: H1N1 vaccination ? [Re: Arney]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: Arney
It's true that the numbers on H1N1 are not particularly scary compared to seasonal flu, but we haven't even been through a full flu season with H1N1 yet. I'm not saying this to be alarmist, but the potential impact from H1N1 does seem worse than seasonal flu, though. It has traits like:
  • It's more infectious than seasonal flu. Even if H1N1 stays mild for the rest of the flu season, it will likely cause more hospitalizations and deaths than seasonal flu simply because more people will get infected than usual, even if any single person's risk of hospitalization or death is lower than with seasonal flu.
  • People stay infectious longer with H1N1 which also increases everyone's chance of catching it (I cited the article in Art's H1N1 thread)
  • The age distribution of deaths or cases with severe complications is more like past pandemic influenza's rather than seasonal flu. Instead of killing the elderly and very young children, it is hitting older children and adults younger than 50 the hardest. If H1N1 infects enough people, history will be recounting how H1N1 struck the young.
  • H1N1 causes lung damage which seasonal flu cannot inflict. This story describes one expert's experience after 90 autopsies of H1N1 deaths and likens the damage he has seen with avian flu, and this article describes the mechanism of why H1N1 can directly attack deep lung tissue that seasonal flu cannot do. If we're lucky, H1N1 will not develop a stronger affinity for lung receptors later on. If it does, then it will be sending a lot more younger adults to the ICU.
  • The fact that H1N1 stuck around during the summer months and is causing fresh outbreaks in August and September is pretty unheard of for the flu, and suggests the possibility of a long, tough flu season ahead.

Overall, we're lucky because not a whole lot has happened. At least so far. The typical flu season is not usually even considered open until at least October and most years, the peak months are January and February.

And even for people who don't catch H1N1 directly, it could still affect them. For example, maybe you need to go to the ER for something else like a car accident, but all the ones closest to you could be swamped with flu patients and they turn you away. It's already happening right now in places with fresh outbreaks. (Not that getting a flu shot can prevent car accidents. Wish we could develop a vaccine for that!)

Now that's what I'm talking about. Thank you for posting links to actual information about the H1N1 situation. Rather than the Chicken Little-type folks who just run around posting about how the sky is falling.

#182412 - 09/17/09 11:47 AM Re: H1N1 vaccination ? [Re: 2005RedTJ]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I'll get mine, but then again, I usually get my flu shot, and had mt pneumonia shot while I was in the hospital in the winter

My daughter is one of those lucky folks who already GOT H1N1 (yes, she goes to one of the schools that got closed in NYC last year). HER case was fairly mild, 2-3 days of the yucks/fever etc, and then just some mild residual "I feel a bit tired today" for another day or so - came down with it on a Thursday night, by Monday was fine (and then the week AFTER that they closed the school)

I get my shots because I'm in a risk group - overweight, health problems, etc
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#182421 - 09/17/09 01:54 PM Re: H1N1 vaccination ? [Re: 2005RedTJ]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
While it possible that becoming infected with H1N1 will only result in mild flu-associated symptoms for a few days, do not under estimate (nor should you panic) the potential complications from viral infections. The complications, while usually rare can be devastating. I have a friend, who a number of years ago had the seasonal flu, he suffered damage to heart tissue, resulting in reduced efficiency in his heart output. The damage put further stressors on his heart to the point he had to receive a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) to compensate for the reduced efficiency. A month or so ago he suffered a stroke, which can be a complication of this device and is currently undergoing rehabilitation. I am sure many of the “older” folks can remember or know friends or family that suffered complications from polo, measles, mumps, chicken pox, etc. No, vaccinations are not without risk, but I suspect if you talked with individuals who suffered complications from these viral infections, most would have been happy to accept the small risk of complications from vaccination rather than the complication of the infection.

Pete

#182432 - 09/17/09 02:56 PM Re: H1N1 vaccination ? [Re: paramedicpete]
jcurphy Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
To add to Pete's latest post, there is some medical speculation and consequential research being conducted that suggests links between viral infection and chronic diseases, such as Diabetes Mellitus and Parkison's Disease. My point here is that we are learning more and more about the etiology of illnesses, and it may well be the case that a simple flu vaccination reduces your chances of developing a chronic illness later in life.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.