Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#182396 - 09/17/09 12:52 AM Re: Going to run the risk of sounding like an idiot... [Re: Art_in_FL]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
It isn't an extensive fishing rig and I never depended on it for food but I got a few nice meals out of a simple fishing kit made up of a tin can with a large cork stuffed in one end. Around this I wrapped some light line. Typically braided polyester because it doesn't coil up like mono. Inside I carried a mix set of split shot, a variety of hooks, a small float, and various artificial baits.

Usually a couple of plastic worms, small crank baits, and, the main fish getter, small feather tailed 'poppers' in bright colors. I tried using a monofilament leader but it added complexity and didn't seem to get me more fish. If I used the plastic worms more going after bass it might have helped but handlining from shore for pan fish it didn't make any difference.

Camping in scrub brush and around swamps I would usually unwind maybe ten feet of line, crimp on a couple of split shot and tie on a popper. Just tossing this from shore and working the popper with short jerks I could often pull in pan fish about as fast as I could pull the line in.

I would sometimes cut a light dead fall wood or bamboo pole and tie the line on it, A good way to catch a nap without people thinking your lazy. My walking stick made a decent pole.

I figure the kit cost maybe $15 or $20 new.

Cool idea Art.

I tend to make things a helluva lot more complicated than they need to be... just ask my wife. blush

#182884 - 09/23/09 01:39 AM Re: Going to run the risk of sounding like an idiot... [Re: samhain]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
bank poles are a great way to spread more luck around. saplings are great for it. the idea is to acquire a pole. an overhanging limb, sapling, cut sapling, tree, whatever and tie a line to it. hook and bait in the water a little bit, wait. the springy sapling sets the hook. i have used a sapling tied to the trunk of a convenient tree. if you have enough line and hooks, you can fish several places at once. the downside if that you can lose a lot of bait and use up your supply of hooks. Snapping turtles love to get mine.

trot-lines work a lot he same. find a hole that you can stretch a line across. tie to a solid object. every 4 feet tie a hook with 2 feet of line (so it doesn't tangle). walk around around tieing hooks on and baiting until you reach the other side. tie off your other end.

Legal: In MO you have to put your name, phone number, address on each, and its regulated how many you can have.
I have an extra.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 539 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.