Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#181578 - 09/07/09 02:52 AM Vehicle bicycle rack
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Acquired a cross-over bicycle - part mountain bike , part road bike. Primarily for conditioning now, hope to explore some trails a little faster than hiking will quickly take me later.

Query: best type of vehicle rack for the bike? Type going into trailer hitch receiver seems handy but bulky. Top of vehicle racks look challenging to use. Strap on types look like an invitation to thieves.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Edited by dweste (09/07/09 04:25 PM)

#181588 - 09/07/09 05:09 AM Re: Vehicle rack [Re: dweste]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I've only used the kind that strap onto the trunk. It worked well enough, but the straps could always be cut. Maybe double that up with a cable lock through the receiver.

#181590 - 09/07/09 07:21 AM Re: Vehicle rack [Re: dweste]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Depends on how much $$ you're willing to spend and how you plan to use it.

The simplest and cheapest is the kind you put on the trailer hitch. Super easy and will do if you just drive out - ride your bike - drive back again. Not so good if you need to stop along the way to buy groceries or if you want to bring your bike on a long car holiday. They typically offer little theft protection (although you can add your own bike lock with a little ingenuity), and with most car/rack combinations you have to take off the rack to open the rear compartments. More sophisticated versions may have a lock, and may even have a hinge mechanism so you can access the rear compartment without dismantling the bike.

A good roof mount will not interfere with anything except low clearance overpasses and is easy to use. Buy one that is lockable, because some day it will be sooooooo convenient just to leave your bike on the roof.

The Thule brand is very good quality, but expensive. http://www.thulegroup.com/en/
Have a look through their catalog, you'll see the range of solutions available.

#181603 - 09/07/09 02:26 PM Re: Vehicle rack [Re: MostlyHarmless]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I looked at several models for my tri-bike. I took into consideration my vehicle, a Dodge Charger. There is no way I would destroy the sexy lines of that roof with a bike rack, so I had a tow hitch installed under the rear and Thule 2 bike rack attached. Cost about $300.

To begin with this will secure the bike, as there is a welded loop to pull a cable through.

When not using the bike, the bike holder folds down so there is just the upright.

When not using your bike at all, a simple socket will take the whole Thule stand off and your just left with the open hitch under your frame. Very easy.

For your consideration for roof rack, trunk rack or hitch, will you be parking in a home garage or driving into enclosed parking areas. I think every person I know with a roof rack has driven under something with their bike on top. This includes fast food and bank drive thru's with that have limit signs at around 8-9 feet.

Are you short. My buddy has an SUV. Now I am 5'10" but to lift my bike on/off his roof is a serious pain, especially after a 5 hour ride and I am bonked.

Can you use your trunk with your trunk rack? These attach to the vehicle with simple hooks and webbing. You may have a place for your bike but no trunk access which just creates another problem. Can you also see through your bike for traffic purposes?

Trunk hitch. These do have a latch at the bottom that lowers the stand away from the vehicle about 45 degrees, which is nice if this is an SUV or hatch back auto. If its a normal trunk, no reason to use at all. Only drawback I have seen is that occasionally I will bottom out the hitch on steep driveways but after 4 years there has been zero damage to either hitch or car.

#181665 - 09/08/09 05:00 PM Re: Vehicle rack [Re: comms]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Good info.

Going to watch craigslist and freecycle for racks.

It would be nice to find a hitch-mounted rack that can lower so access to my mini-SUV hatch would work.

#181679 - 09/08/09 06:52 PM Re: Vehicle rack [Re: dweste]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: dweste
Good info.

Going to watch craigslist and freecycle for racks.

It would be nice to find a hitch-mounted rack that can lower so access to my mini-SUV hatch would work.

Once I get my tools setup at the house I could probably build you one of those in the future... could even make it able to hold a box or extra fuel can too, etc smile I`ll let you know when I get all my welding and metal working tools setup probably a month or so as I have to run the electrical, insulate and drywall the garage prior to bringing it all in.

#181682 - 09/08/09 07:30 PM Re: Vehicle rack [Re: dweste]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: dweste

They exist. I know for certain Thule makes them; check their catalog.

#181687 - 09/08/09 07:58 PM Re: Vehicle rack [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Depends on your vehicle and your preferences.

I have a Honda Element and a hitch-mounted Sportsworks Transport T1 - the precursor to the Thule hitch-mounted racks (they bought Sportsworks a few years ago). Works great for me. Bikes are a breeze to put on and off and as has been noted, the entire rack comes off the hitch receiver by removing a single bolt (you can get a locking bolt setup).

I frequently remove my bike rack from the Element to put it on the back of my teardrop trailer. And as you can see in the photo below, with the bikes off I can still use the tailgate.

With one bike on the most rear location of the rack, I can open the Element's rear hatch. With two, no.

You also have the option of a swing-away hitch mounted rack. That may be a very good choice for an SUV or minivan in which the entire rear is a single hatch.

A friend destroyed a $5,000 road bike that was on top of his SUV by forgetting it was up there. He now drives a SAAB station wagon and the roof rack works very well on it.

Lots of great options. The best ones are not cheap.

Attachments
IMG_4638.JPG

IMG_5472.JPG

Picture 3628.jpg

#181691 - 09/08/09 08:11 PM Re: Vehicle rack [Re: Dagny]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Todd W, very generous offer, I will let you know.

Dagny, nice post.

Thanks!

#181737 - 09/09/09 12:15 AM Re: Vehicle rack [Re: dweste]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
I know this should be obvious, but I think it's a point that bears repeating: however you lock your bike(s), be sure you secure the frame AND both wheels.

Watching a friend's reaction to finding his front wheel still locked to the rack but the rest of the bike missing was . . . educational.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 294 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.