Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#180174 - 08/23/09 05:04 PM Snakes & Pistol Shot Shells..Effective??
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
The "Mr Slither" post reminded me of this question. Gloria and I are in Apache NF in NM. We do a lot of hiking of both private and NF land. Locals have advised us to "carry" whenever we hike (for Bear, wolf, dogs and cats). I was considering putting a shot shell in Cylinder #1 of our revolvers.

I carry a Tarus Tracker .44 magnum and Gloria packs a .38. Would the commercial shot shells be an effective remedy for "Mr Slither"??

Note, We are not "see it kill it" types. We are from Maine and have spent the better part of our lives in remote areas. However...things do happen.

Also, after friends have fired about 50 shot shells through a tracker with the ported muzzle, we noticed a warning on the commercial shot shell packages that they were not to be used with this type gun. We did not notice any problems.

Any idea why the restriction? I assume it has to do with pellets coming out of the ports.

#180175 - 08/23/09 05:29 PM Re: Snakes & Pistol Shot Shells..Effective?? [Re: Nomad]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I know in .45 LC it is effective at close range. Just be aware of your backstop. I was popping lead pimples after the first time I tried it. I got DARN lucky my cheap sunglasses stopped the one headed for my eye.

I just never thought about the lead shot ricocheting back at me.

RIP OBG

#180181 - 08/23/09 07:09 PM Re: Snakes & Pistol Shot Shells..Effective?? [Re: Desperado]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I prefer a stick to push it away and a knife to cut the head off if needed...

#180186 - 08/23/09 08:10 PM Re: Snakes & Pistol Shot Shells..Effective?? [Re: Todd W]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
Honestly, you are better off with a staff or stick than those shotshells. Save the cylinders in your revolver for more dangerous critters. For the most part, the snakes will get out of your way if they have a chance. Be aware of your surroundings and don't mess with them.
The majority of bites in this country happen to young men messing with snakes. Snakes take a dim view of being handled by humans.

#180188 - 08/23/09 08:19 PM Re: Snakes & Pistol Shot Shells..Effective?? [Re: Tarzan]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Depending on the size of the snake, I can hit it with a regular round. I shot a spent shotgun shell from 20 yards or so today with my Ruger 10/22. I can do the same from 10 yards or so with my .45acp.

I say practice with the ammo you regularly carry so you don't have to worry about switching all the time. Also, if you're carrying to protect from bears or other large animals, you might not have time to get more than one shot off. And a bear or other decent-sized animal isn't even going to feel those pellets.

Edited by 2005RedTJ (08/23/09 08:21 PM)

#180193 - 08/23/09 09:53 PM Re: Snakes & Pistol Shot Shells..Effective?? [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

First, assuming you don't actively pursue one, odds are you won't get close enough to any snake to worry about it. Snakes tend to move away from people. We are simply not the sort of animal they like to eat. We are way too big.

Second, your average snake is a lot more even tempered than your average human. I have seen a number of people freak out when they realized they were just a few inches away from a snake but I have never seen a snake freak out. Mostly, even when awakened suddenly, they just slither off. Striking only when molested or stepped on. Mess with me or step on me and I have been known to get riled myself.

All that means your not likely to need to attack a snake. Not if your interest is genuine defense and not pursuing a vendetta based on fear.

Assuming your in one of those extremely rare situations when dealing with a snake is necessary a stick is your most effective and efficient tool. Mostly used to bump the snake and get it going away from you. Sometimes used to flip a snake off a narrow path where there aren't alternative routes. As a last resort it can be used as a a club. A good stick, I like thick-wall bamboo about 25 or 30 mm in diameter and 120 to 130cm long, is quite adaptable.

Save the artillery for actual, as opposed to imagined, threats and those jobs it does well.

Corrected for spelling.

Edited by Art_in_FL (08/24/09 01:14 AM)

#180200 - 08/23/09 11:17 PM Re: Snakes & Pistol Shot Shells..Effective?? [Re: Art_in_FL]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I dunno folks. True, I've been within inches of rattlers, twice - once I got the rattle (which, for those who haven't heard it, sounds a LOT like the sprinkler systems that pop up at dusk to do the 90 degree arc in spurts, before shooting back around to restart). The other time was about 5am and too cool for it to move much.

BUT... in Virginia I was blocked on a trail a good 20 minutes before I gave up, by some sort of snake. I'm a Cali boy, so who knows what it was, but given my environment, I figured a cottonmouth was the worst-case scenarion. I didn't find a convenient stick to clear the path. In all fairness, it didn't seem too ruffled or threatening, so in no way was I worried about it attacking.

My point? Not all snakes leave when given the chance.

#180201 - 08/23/09 11:39 PM Re: Snakes & Pistol Shot Shells..Effective?? [Re: MDinana]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Art, in a confined space, I would rather have the shot load than do the snake charmer dance with a screwdriver and a broom.

#180203 - 08/23/09 11:54 PM Re: Snakes & Pistol Shot Shells..Effective?? [Re: Nomad]
akabu Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Stick.

#180217 - 08/24/09 01:13 AM Re: Snakes & Pistol Shot Shells..Effective?? [Re: akabu]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
A big stick.
(because snakes need to be tenderized you cook them)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 516 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.