The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#179962 - 08/21/09 04:11 PM Re: 7 days worth of food [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ

So, I ordered 2 of the 2400 Mainstay food rations to throw in there. My question is, would the Mainstay rations fit the bill? With 1 of the 3600 and 2 of the 2400 bars in there, plus the granola bars, would the MRE entrees even be necessary?

If you've got the room to spare, I would definitely keep the MRE entrees (and anything else) to help you cope with those Mainstay rations.
I would certainly eat the Mainstay "bricks" if there was no other option; but, (in my opinion) those Mainstay rations are a bit tough to consume, because of their bland taste and chalky texture.
So, being able to vary your meals with some items that are more "normal" could be a big asset.

#179967 - 08/21/09 04:56 PM Re: 7 days worth of food [Re: paramedicpete]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
The best example for supporting this view is in comparing the relative resistance of axenic (germ-free) mice vs. mice with a normal population of intestinal flora.

A probiotic is the only supplement I take on a regular basis. Not to get too far away from the original topic, but the role of intestinal bacteria in fostering a well functioning immune system (as opposed to causing problems) is a field not well researched yet. I just happened to read this article recently, and the concept that some parts of the immune system require intestinal bacteria to function normally really blew me away. These folks also used "germ-free" mice.

The Microbial Health Factor
Just one molecule can make the difference in mediating a healthy immune response. Surprisingly, it comes from bacteria.

#179972 - 08/21/09 05:33 PM Re: 7 days worth of food [Re: Arney]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
You guys are misunderstanding me. Most folks are not adjusted to MRE's (If one can ever truly adjust?), and there is usually a little stomach upset on one extreme or the other.

Just eat the peanut butter and the cheese with a meal or two, you'll understand...

RIP OBG

#179974 - 08/21/09 05:52 PM Re: 7 days worth of food [Re: Arney]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Very interesting article and for me, more than just the intent of the article. You may note that in the illustration: BACTERIAL BALANCE reference is made to Helicobacter hepaticus or H. hepaticus. It just so happens in 1994(ish) I was part of a research team examining the possible causes of hepatocelluar carcinoma in a group of control mice, ultimately leading to the discovery that it was caused by a novel bacteria: H. hepaticus. I am one of the co-discoverers of H. hepaticus and co-hold a US patent for the organism.

Helicobacter hepaticus

Helicobacter hepaticus Patent

That information and $1.00 (perhaps $2-3 dollars now) will get you a cup of coffee. On a more serious note, there is increasing evidence that immunological and bacterial interactions may have a profound influence on the development of IBD and other intestinal inflammatory conditions.

Pete

#179976 - 08/21/09 06:20 PM Re: 7 days worth of food [Re: paramedicpete]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Mainstay does not stay air tight for long if carried in a pack. Even in the back of a car moving around it can go bad...

Mine lasted <1 year in a pack I only had in my Jeep.

#179987 - 08/21/09 07:21 PM Re: 7 days worth of food [Re: Lon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You could always add a couple of boxes of Pringles, a few cans of Cashews, Almonds, Pecans nuts etc. some # 10 Mountain House Cans' (gives around 4800 Calories)

and some cans of Slimfast (packed with calories and added vitamins)

http://www.amazon.com/Slim-Fast-Optima-V...ref=gronf_njs_1

and some dried milk powder for the Slimfast milk shakes and breakfast cereals.

Plus a box of Scotts Porage Oats Original

http://www.englishteastore.com/scpooa11lbs.html

and a couple Heinz Puddings

http://www.englishteastore.com/cak004.html

and some Earl Grey Tea of course;

http://www.englishteastore.com/dobeeagrtea2.html

Add some bags of rice, dried mushrooms, dried onion or sage and onion stuffing, dried potato, peanut butter, canned beef and canned Ghee or Butter etc

For 7 Days you will need a around 20-25,000 calories and even with high energy density food i.e a high fat content typically this would mean carrying around 5-6kg or 12-14lbs of food by weight. A few mainstay rations and MREs aren't going to sustain you for 7 days and better tasting more nutrious food can be found at the local supermarket.

Look out for long shelf life food packaging at the supermarket such as the same aluminized plastic retort laminated packaging used in Military rations i.e. Tuna and Salmon etc and the lighter weight aluminium cans.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/21/09 07:33 PM)

#180027 - 08/22/09 01:11 AM Re: 7 days worth of food [Re: 2005RedTJ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Keep the real food.

Hiking and backpacking, I use a Mainstay 1200 per day, plus an MRE entree and side OR a MH Propak, and I also bring a few granola bars, mini slim jims and some electrolyte mix and tea. Can you do just the 1200 cals, yes, you can, but in theory you can also survive three weeks without food.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#180033 - 08/22/09 02:58 AM Re: 7 days worth of food [Re: ironraven]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Good info guys. I'll probably end up leaving the MRE entrees in there, adding drink mix, maybe some MRE sides too. As far the the Mainstays losing vacuum, I should be good. They're pretty much bubble-wrapped inside a covered big coffee can. (There's smaller stuff packed around them to cushion them, then they're inside the can, then there's stuff packed around the can to cushion also). But I'll keep an eye on them anyway.

I need to dump out my bag one afternoon and take pictures anyway, as well as working more on the packing of it so it's easier to find stuff.

And as far as living on MRE's and Mainstays, I have an iron-clad stomach. Nothing ever seems to upset it, no matter what I eat. Inferno wings, greasy chicken, anything... bring it on.

What's the general consensus on other food bars? I know one is cinnamon flavored, and cinnamon is on of the few things I just can't eat. What else is out there for variety in food bars?

Edited by 2005RedTJ (08/22/09 03:01 AM)

#180035 - 08/22/09 03:45 AM Re: 7 days worth of food [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Why don't you experiment for say, a week? Add one package of MRE cheese or peanut butter and the ninja throwing crackers to each of your normal meals.

Let me know how things, ahem, come out.

RIP OBG

#180037 - 08/22/09 04:13 AM Re: 7 days worth of food [Re: 2005RedTJ]
RoverOver Offline

Loc: Kali4nya
I'd put a small bag of De-germinated Corn meal,small can of Crisco,& a few small cans of cooked Turnip Greens in place of those Mainstay Packs.Why?#1 The above weighs about the same as 2-3600 paks#2 Though the above is not as "Caloric" as, the Mainstay bars are,Fried Cornbread & Good greens w/ Pot Liquor will make anyone Smile Before,During,& After eating it!I have Never observed Even the closest inkling to a Slight Grin from,Anyone,After Attemping to Consume Just a few bites of a Mainstay bar!MRE's are very good also,I lived for 8 Months+ on Just MRE's in the Middle East,& Never Contracted the "Hershey Squirts" for that duration!To each his own for sure,but those Mainstay paks were meant for the Open Sea originally,whether onboard or Overboard,lol!& Cornbread will catch fish,Also!:)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
3 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, chaosmagnet, Eugene), 486 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.