Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#179750 - 08/19/09 03:58 PM Kill Bill
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ok, the Hurricane might not be called Kill Bill yet but I thought I would be the first to use this name on the internet and news media if the balloon goes up. blush

Latest Accuview weather Report for Bill

Just suppose a Cat 4 Hurricane is going to barrel down on New York in 5 days time. How do you evacuate millions of folks in just a couple of days (track confidence improves to the point were the evacution order in given) ?

Evacuation worse case scenario in green for Cat 3-4 Hurricane.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/19/09 03:58 PM)

#179752 - 08/19/09 04:03 PM Re: Kill Bill [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
IF I lived in NYC I might consider an unplanned, last vacation of the summer before the kids start back to school.

Now or the next few days might be as good a time as any, right?

RIP OBG

#179753 - 08/19/09 04:05 PM Re: Kill Bill [Re: Desperado]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
they actually did something like this one Discovery the other day-needless to say, the "plan" didnt work out as, ah, planned...

#179754 - 08/19/09 04:06 PM Re: Kill Bill [Re: Desperado]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I think that storms tend to lose power as they go north... right? That's what I seem to remember from living in Philly (of course, it's inland a bit)

#179757 - 08/19/09 04:18 PM Re: Kill Bill [Re: MDinana]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Lets hope your right that they dye down a little as they go north. a cat 4 hurricane in NYC could be amost Katrina worth.

I will have to watch this closer.

#179760 - 08/19/09 04:21 PM Re: Kill Bill [Re: Tyber]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
a cat 4 hurricane in NYC could be amost Katrina worth.

No, it would make Katrina look puny. Even a cat. 1 hurricane slamming into NYC would be a major disaster.

I plan on making popcorn and watching the fun... smirk

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#179762 - 08/19/09 04:22 PM Re: Kill Bill [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Check the sea-surface temps at http://weather.msn.com/maps.aspx?weap=0 A hurricane that far north this late in the season might not lose energy to quickly.

#179767 - 08/19/09 04:41 PM Re: Kill Bill [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
I live in an area that is predicted to be underwater in a category one storm. As might be imagined, I'm watching Bill closely!

According to the National Hurricane Center it looks like Bill should miss us as it goes by, but not by such a wide margin. It looks like there's a good chance I'll wake up Sunday morning to tropical storm force winds. At this time, it does not appear that we will bug out, but I'm keeping the option open.

How are we preparing? I made a checklist of the things that would come with us in the event we head for the hills. Mostly it's high value items and items of sentimental value. Also the items that would need to be moved in from the backyard to keep them from becomming missiles (we may need to do this anyhow). My kids would think it was fun to head to the Catskills to see their grandparents. I also confirmed that my flood insurance is in effect and paid up.

I spent a lot of time in the ocean this past weekend, and I can tell you that the water is WARM this year. If Bill does indeed head our way, I do not imagine that cool water would slow him down too much (mind you, warm for these parts means 75 degrees, not the 80 or 90 you get down south.)

However, to answer the question of how you evacuate NYC, I believe that the consensus answer (on this board, among those I have discussed it with) is that you don't. It simply will not work. There are too many people, and many of them have no means of transportation.

Which is not to say that they will not try, but unless you leave early, I'm not sure you'll do more than sit in traffic. I intend to make my final stay-or-go decision tomorrow (Thursday) evening. If I make the wrong decision, the fall back option is to take shelter in Manhattan on high ground, which should be OK, but I'd rather be upstate 120 miles away!

Quote:
I plan on making popcorn and watching the fun...

Blast, thanks for your support! Maybe I can borrow your inflatable raft for a few days? That may be the only way to get out of NYC without sitting in traffic, but you'd want to be off the water well before the storm hit!

#179769 - 08/19/09 04:47 PM Re: Kill Bill [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Blast

I plan on making popcorn and watching the fun... smirk

-Blast

Hummmmm Beer, Bourbon and popcorn might be a great way to pass the storm, as well as gas! grin

#179770 - 08/19/09 04:50 PM Re: Kill Bill [Re: Jesselp]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Why not just leave now and take some time off. There will be less mental stress and when nothing big happens you can really relax.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 191 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.