The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#180019 - 08/22/09 12:13 AM Re: GHB/EDC First Aid Kit [Re: Desperado]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Ditto. I also have the AMK Comprehensive with some additions in my truck (probably need to check it for out-of-date). I keep a smaller FAK in the EDC backpack.

#180021 - 08/22/09 12:27 AM Re: GHB/EDC First Aid Kit [Re: acropolis5]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
In the vehicle, yes. EDC, no, not really.

My EDC FAK is a couple of 4x4s, some 2x2s, a variety of bandaids, some meds (ibuprofen, acetamenophin, aspirin (yes, I carry all three), sudafed (the real stuff), benydryl, immodium), some liquid bandage, a 4" roller, several pairs of nitriles and a pocket mask. It is ment for me, with one medium injury, and booboos. I've got sheers, knives, tweezers and duct tape in the EDC as well, so I've got good FAK items, but for a true FAK, just for me and just little stuff.

Now, in the truck...

A SAW ammo pouch with a spare pair of shears, a space blanket, some 2x2s, some spare 4x4s, another pocket mask, more nitriles (in tiny zipper bags, a pair per) roll of vet wrap, and four pre-packed "trauma pouches". Those are quart freezer bags, each loaded with 2 pairs of nitriles, 8 4x4 gauze two-packs, 3 3x4 non-stick gauze pads (to go against burns and the like), a 4" roller, and 5' of bright pink duct tape. The reasons for these prepacks is I can toss one to a passenger (most of my friends have at least basic first aid training), but also one per customer, to keep crosscontamination down. I'm thinking of picking up some box cutters to toss in each pouch so that we can just close the sharp and drop it if it gets bloodied cutting clothing, and adding some bulk dressings (or maxis), but the pouch is pushing it's max limit. That bag hangs off the back of the supports for the passenger headrest, and be grabbed without even leaving my seat.

In the back, I've got bungies and 1" cargo straps, more duct tape, a tarp, a wool blanket, a fleece blanket, 2 100' lengths of paracord, quart and gallon ziplocks, several contractor bags, two 1L and a 3L bottle of store-bought water. Between that, I think I can irrigate, thermo regulate, make stretchers, and rig tourniquets. smile

And since my truck is condemned to have me as it's EDC, this is usually with me. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#180169 - 08/23/09 04:22 PM Re: GHB/EDC First Aid Kit [Re: ironraven]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
To be honest... I kind of agree with Lono, at least here. After all, it's the Urban Prep forum, so he's right - there is most likely help available.

There are quite a few posts re: FAKs, but few folks I've seen here actually carry one day-to-day. Mostly they're car/work/home kits, in other words, pre-positioned.

regarding the bulk, bandages CAN be vacuum-packed, like food. It helps a lot, esp with kerlix and gauze.

As far as what I think/do, I agree with Pete too- a few supplies would go FAST. And there usually are enough things to make basic first aid supplies out of - dress shirts probably easier than undershirts or coats, splints with newspaper or bulky jackets, socks and belts as tourniquets. Sweatshirts/pants as good trauma bandages. But, any 'mass casualty' incident, chances are you'll be affected too (by definition), and maybe not in the best shape to share supplies.

Not to mention, how big an incident are you planning for? How are you going to triage who gets your limited supplies? what's your level of training? It's all well and good to apply bandages to a bleeding wound, but forgetting that someone's cut arm is a lot less serious than the guy with the femur fracture sitting right next to them could have dire consequences. IMO, anything small enough to carry isn't going to be useful enough in a true MCI - everyone focuses on "blood!" and not enough on real triage (ie, START algorithm or something similar). really, bleeding control is pretty low on the list of things to do.

Anyway, carry what you want I guess is the bottom line. Just make sure you know what you're carrying for. sorry this is a kind of convoluted post.

Edited by MDinana (08/23/09 04:23 PM)
Edit Reason: fixing my own train of thought

#180179 - 08/23/09 06:34 PM Re: GHB/EDC First Aid Kit [Re: MDinana]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I work as an EMT on film and televisions sets, carry a lot of first aid/trauma gear in my vehicle, up to and including oxygen. For personal EDC purposes, all I usually carry around is a small zippered pouch with some bandaids; large and small, couple of 4x4's, sting-eze wipes, couple of BZK cleaning wipes, safety pin, tweezers and a small tube with some antacids and a couple of 200mg Advils.

I have a bandanna in my pocket that can be pressed into service as a pressure bandage if needed and I carry a CPR mask in a tiny pouch on my keychain.

The majority of stuff you're gonna use a first aid kit for in an urban environment is simple cuts and scrapes, splinters, and an errant bee sting.

If I had to try and carry my actual trauma gear around, I'd never go anywhere.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#181955 - 09/11/09 03:42 PM Re: GHB/EDC First Aid Kit [Re: NightHiker]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Nice thread. I've stolen some of the ideas offered by Lono/Ironraven (thanks guys!), and I just added to my usual car kit an expanded bag with bandage/trauma items.

I dug an old diaper bag out of the basement, and I filled it with items that will never expire. I basically emptied my home stash of extra items - gauze, bandage rolls, etc. - and arranged it in the bag.

So, it now has 8 quart-sized bags, each with a pair of nitriles, 4 4x4's, and an individually sealed 3-inch-wide roll of kling wrap, that can be handed out to other people. I plan to add more to these packs next time I make a big first aid order. The idea, as per Ironraven, is to have something you can hand off to other people.

The bag also contains other items I had on hand - a box of 5 sealed kling rolls (I found these on clearance for $2 each), an extra pair of EMT shears, several Kerlix super sponges, several rolls of Coban self-sticking wrap (I found 4-inch-wide rolls at Tractor Supply in the vet supplies aisle. I used a razor knife to split them in half through the cardboard center tube, so I have 2 2-inch-wide rolls for each original roll), a 20 ml syringe also from the vet aisle for wound irrigation, a couple triangular bandages, several rolls of tape, a new bag of diaper wipes, a 4 pairs of N95 dust masks in quart Ziploc bags, and several extra pairs of nitrile in smaller plastic bags.

I really like this idea of expanded capability that won't spill, leak or go past its expiration date.

Edited by DaveT (09/11/09 03:47 PM)

#181971 - 09/11/09 06:03 PM Re: GHB/EDC First Aid Kit [Re: DaveT]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Keep the Coban in a sealed bag, it will eventually become an unmanageable mess if you don't. Ask me how I know...

Check your local Dollar Tree/99 cent stores, they usually have stuff like individually wrapped gauze rolls and other first aid stuff and it's very cheap.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Phaedrus, SRMC), 268 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.