Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#179332 - 08/14/09 06:05 PM Re: Dremel uses ???? [Re: Chisel]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Chisel

What is the thickest metal anyone of you have cut with a Dremel ?

You can cut any thickness at all....if you have the time.

I've done 3/16" with no problems.

I use all sorts of bits for mine - just drilled a lot of holes in seashells for my daughter to make a neckless (used a diamond bit). I've used it to cut holes in tile, a lot of small plastic works and more. It's a fantastic tool as long as you have a LOT of bits.

Oh, and I clean stuff with it too - small wire brushes can clean up rusted tools.

I'd not suggest using it to sharpen anything though.

#179336 - 08/14/09 06:18 PM Re: Dremel uses ???? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I watch wallyworld for their HUGE dremel multi-tool pack on sale its like 1 foot tall has a bunch of common tools and quick changers. Then just get what you need in the future you`ll figure it out.

The fiber cutters are nice but a bit pricey, I've cut 3/16" too, but I don't use it as my primary cutting tool.. only for hard to reach spots or when I can't use other tools because of fire hazards, vibration concerns, etc.

Martin - My dad got some sharpening adapter for his dremel and uses it to sharpen his garden tools, seems to work for him.

#179782 - 08/19/09 06:49 PM Re: Dremel uses ???? [Re: MartinFocazio]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
It's a fantastic tool as long as you have a LOT of bits.

^^^ This.

I use mine for many small jobs, and it works very well so long as you know its limits and realize that most of the cutting wheels/stones/bits should be considered consumables.

I have the kit that is meant to sharpen lawnmower blades; stone wheel and a piece of plastic that sets the angle. I still prefer to just clamp the blade in a bench vise and freehand it. Works well with touching up axes, machetes, etc. too. Would not use on a knife blade...

#179785 - 08/19/09 07:05 PM Re: Dremel uses ???? [Re: airballrad]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
High speeds and minimal load on the bit(s) are the 2 secrets to using any kind of Dremel tool.

They're not meant to replace a 4" handheld grinder or an 6" bench grinder, people who keep that in mind will usually have a lot more success using them.

I've got at least 4 of them that I can think of, couple of battery operated ones that are nice for quick and easy jobs, I've got one mounted in a little drill press/stand that Dremel still sells, great for lightweight work.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#179795 - 08/19/09 11:19 PM Re: Dremel uses ???? [Re: JohnE]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Didn't see it mentioned but if you get one be sure to use eye protection. The bits used when turning at high speed can explode with out warning. The bits most likely to explode are the non-fiber reinforced cut off wheels (zip wheels).

Favorite uses are the zip wheels to slice off bearing races. Usually takes a few wheels but it goes through the hardened metal like hot butter.

#179801 - 08/20/09 12:37 AM Re: Dremel uses ???? [Re: RayW]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: RayW
Didn't see it mentioned but if you get one be sure to use eye protection. The bits used when turning at high speed can explode with out warning. The bits most likely to explode are the non-fiber reinforced cut off wheels (zip wheels).

Favorite uses are the zip wheels to slice off bearing races. Usually takes a few wheels but it goes through the hardened metal like hot butter.

Very true.

I suggest glasses + a face shield... just like 4.5" Grinders the discs can explode and lodge themself in your face, throat, etc...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 574 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.