The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#178941 - 08/10/09 12:41 AM Grammar Groan
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Today, for the first time ever, I corrected a post strictly because of a grammatical error. We all have our little quirks, I write professionally, so some things drive me batty. I'll let you in on my two "nails on a chalk board" writing errors.

1. Effect/Affect.

When I see something like this:

"The change to digital television didn't effect us, because we use cable TV." it's like I just heard a shotgun blast at three feet without my hearing protection.

The correct way to phrase that sentence is, "The change to digital television didn't affect us, because we use cable TV."

Think of it this way - effect is used to describe what the initiator of the action did, affect is use to describe what the action did.

So, for example, "The changes effected by the FCC to implement digital television have affected everyone who does not have cable television."

Or, "He effected changes to the office policies that affected everyone."

Or, "The affected areas will need to be decontaminated with an effective disinfectant."

Well, now that that's out of the way, let's move on to the next area that annoys me to no end.

2. Quotation mark abuse.

A pair of quotation mark is never used for emphasis:

Please do "not" close the door. (This is horrible).
The "fire exit" is to the left.

Quotation marks are used to indicate a quotation - like this:

"Marty seems to have gone off the deep end with his post about grammar on the equipped board", said co-moderator Charlie.

If you're not quoting someone, or to indicate a specific use of a phrase, then you are actually using quotes to negate your statement or to indicate sarcasm.

For example, you want to convey that a politician is not honest:

Well, we all know how "honest" he has been in office.

Or, when you want to indicate that something you're saying is intended as a sarcastic statement:

We just "love" when it rains all week long when camping out.

You can certainly know if you're abusing quotation marks by saying the words "So-called" or "it isn't really" or "not really" right where you see the first quote.

They make the (so-called)"best" cakes.

This way to see the (it isn't really) "finest" example of woodcraft.

Increase your energy with a (not really)"healthy" snack.

I strongly advise everyone to see http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/
for many more examples.

Oh, my meds are kicking back in. OK, I'll stop now.

Thank you, carry on.

Edited by martinfocazio (08/10/09 12:43 AM)

#178944 - 08/10/09 12:48 AM Re: Grammar Groan [Re: MartinFocazio]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I think it is an affectation.

#178947 - 08/10/09 01:02 AM Re: Grammar Groan [Re: scafool]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Back in the 60's, I had a weather changing machine that was, in essence, a sophisticated heat beam which we called a "laser." Using these "lasers," we punch a hole in the protective layer around the Earth, which we scientists call the "Ozone Layer..."

the quotation mark thing might be a product of not having any great way to add emphasis to your thoughts. ex. 'I have a *big* problem with stinking feet'. Others might use quotation marks in lieu of *.

#178959 - 08/10/09 03:09 AM Re: Grammar Groan [Re: MartinFocazio]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

well from my point of view it's just a computer post and not a
ph.d paper.if i was any good and knew what i was doing i would have my own blog or be writing books.everyone gets the idea and over the web it's hard for many of us to get a point across or even spell everything right without the checker.i use the " or -- as sort of a replacement for body language.!!--

#178962 - 08/10/09 04:20 AM Re: Grammar Groan [Re: MartinFocazio]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, its good to see that inappropriate apostrophes' don't affect you as you boldly go forward to express your disdain about inappropriate verbiage usage and quotations. whistle

#178964 - 08/10/09 06:22 AM Re: Grammar Groan [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Must admit that one of my pet hates is abuse of the English language. If English isn't your first language its acceptable to make mistakes, as long as they aren't deliberate.

On another point TXT SPK MKS me want to take your phone off of you and shove it where the sun fails to shine.

#178972 - 08/10/09 01:32 PM Re: Grammar Groan [Re: Johno]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Something seems to cry fowl here. Irregardless, the goodest response from me would be to remain moot. Anyways, it's always gooder to here from you.

#178979 - 08/10/09 02:26 PM Re: Grammar Groan [Re: NightHiker]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I'm with JohnO. The one that kills me lately is people who post like they are texting. If you are too lazy to spell out the word "to" then perhaps the internet is too hard for you and you should just give up.

Example, girl gets a new car for her birthday. Her mom asks her how she felt about her birthday present. Her reply, to mom and others on the forum:

"yupp 09 Chevy cobalt.
and yes mom it was okayy cuz u know i wanted 2 spend the day with JD and tht didn't happen.
yes i know i went everywhere and thank you 4 taking me, but i still have sumthing tht i hafta do. and its 4rm me"

I at least get that "2" is easier to type than "to", marginally thought it may be. But, typing "yupp" instead of "yes" or "okayy" instead of "okay" means you are actually typing MORE than you have to. It's not cute like they think it is, it just makes them look stupid as well as lazy. Would you hire someone who filled out a job application with that nonsense? I know I wouldn't.

Edited by 2005RedTJ (08/10/09 02:27 PM)

#178988 - 08/10/09 02:45 PM Re: Grammar Groan [Re: NightHiker]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I take the opposite view. I think bad grammar can be funny, especially when it is tortured by a master such as Archie Bunker.

As long as I can decipher what a person is saying or means, I just go with the flow.

Besides, the natural order of things for people who correct others' grammar on the Internet is for them to flub up.

Edited by GarlyDog (08/10/09 04:42 PM)

#178990 - 08/10/09 03:18 PM Re: Grammar Groan [Re: MartinFocazio]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Was the edit to change from the inappropriate verb (or would that be the noun) effect to affect the verb or the noun usage?

Quote:
The change to digital television didn't affect us, because we use cable TV.

The verb usage.

Quote:
The change to digital television didn't affect us, because we use cable TV.

The noun usage has a completely different meaning.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 574 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.