Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#189842 - 12/03/09 07:23 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: oldsoldier]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
I work for Sprint, and our coverage is good-same as Verizon's. They both work off of CDMA, and we dont charge for roaming (not sure if Verizon does or not). Nothing is locked out either. I use a BB Curve, but will be upgrading soon, to something with wifi as well.
The BB apps are great-I have bunch of useful ones installed to include weather, news, and live feeds. I have plenty of friends here who have ATT & their service is lacking. Now, ATT doesnt have a large footprint in my area, so I am sure that has something to do with it. But, if you are primarily concerned with staing in the US, I would suggest CDMA, as its more prevalent here. And, the newer BB devices have wifi capabilities, so you can surf & talk.

You left out the part about Sprints data speeds kicking ass over the other guys.
I disagree with your assertion that you have the same coverage as VZW, it's good - but having had a kindle and a Sprint phone on test, I can say with certainty that Sprint didn't cover (with data) where I needed it. This was in August 2009.

#189844 - 12/03/09 07:56 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: MartinFocazio]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
We have 4G now...in lots of places (more coming soon). Philly has it...I havent seen a demo of it yet, but I hear its faster than cable. They JUST activated it in Seattle this week-I just left there on Friday....go figure.

#189848 - 12/03/09 08:21 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: oldsoldier]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Unfortunately the term GPS gets substituted for aGPS or navigation services far too often so people get a phone with a navigation service or aGPS and assume it has GPS. Then there are phones that are the same model but has a GPS on one carrier and not on another. The GSM version of my phone had a real GPS and my phone has only aGPS. I just upgraded to a new phone with a true GPS but needs the cell service to download maps. I've contacted Garmin asking when they will have software ready that can utilize my garmin maps smile

#189932 - 12/04/09 07:03 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: oldsoldier]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
2 Real world experience between Verizon and AT&T.

A buddy (BB-verizon) and I (iPhone-at&t) climbed 4 Peaks about 40 miles north of Phoenix a couple weeks ago, it takes almost an hour of forest service road to get to the trailhead.

When we got to the top we pulled out our phones and he had service I did not. I made a call to my wife to tell her I was behind schedule.

Same two guys, same two phones in the grand canyon in October. At the 1.5 mile resthouse, (1.5 miles down into the canyon)he had service on verizon and I did not. He made a call and I sent a text.

So Verizon in this area kills AT&T on coverage.

#189946 - 12/04/09 09:40 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: comms]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Ouch. I just read this from the Associated Press.

NEW YORK - The Federal Communications Commission on Friday asked Verizon Wireless why it recently doubled the fees it charges customers when they break their contracts on "smart" phones.

In November, the carrier hiked the maximum early contract termination fee for smart phones to $350 from $175.

#189951 - 12/04/09 10:21 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: 7point82]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That increase was kind of ovious, you sign a contract to get a $600 phone, break the contract for $175, then eBay the phone for $500 and walk away with a nice profit. They are trying to cut that out.

#189952 - 12/04/09 10:21 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: comms]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

+1 on verizon, been with ATT ever since it was bell south in 91, after years of dropped calls when they switched to digital and lost coverage when traveling I switched to Verizon and ATT's response of leaving after over 15 years of service was pretty much if you don't like it leave, so I did. Since being with Verizon the service has been near flawless, and I've had excellent service with them and the coverage has been far outstanding. I recently picked up the Droid from them and I am running it through tests right now, but so far it has almost everything I need to do on my laptop and can run off a power cord with no battery in the unit. I'm waiting for a non rainy day to test it on solar but with all the apps available for it and the awesome voice Google map GPS, it blows any GPS away. The draw back is there is no base map for the GPS so if you turn off the service in the options, the GPS works but you are navigating on a white grid. I'm trying to figure out if there is away to put a base map on it. Unfortunately I haven't seen a rugged smart phone I would replace my Garmin but as time goes forward I can see the inevitable. I can see a smart phone with a built in 406 locator and GPS that is military rugged, but I have a feeling it won't be in my lifetime but the capability exists now.

#190000 - 12/05/09 04:49 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: NobodySpecial]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: NobodySpecial
The iPhone3G also uses assisted-GPS where the initial position is actually found by cell tower triangulation and then that location is used as a starting point for the GPS solution. This greatly improves the startup time and reduces the amount of CPU and so battery power to get a fix.
Usually "Assisted GPS" also means the ephemeris data is downloaded over the network instead of from the satellite itself. The ephemeris is data that tells the phone where the satellites are; that plus distance to the satellites tells the phone where it is. The satellite download is very low bandwidth and typically takes 45 seconds or more, so using the network saves time to first fix. On my phone, I can see the data connection every time I use the GPS.

This raises the question of whether an AGPS phone will get a fix without a network connection. Can it get the ephemeris data from the satellite as well as from the network? I'm not completely sure, but I suspect my N97 can't. I recently had a holiday in Ecuador, where I kept my phone offline to avoid roaming data charges, and I was never able to get a fix from its GPS. (I didn't care much because I also had a Garmin device, which worked fine.)

Other phones may vary. If you are relying on having phone GPS when the network is down, you should probably test it before hand.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.