Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#189803 - 12/03/09 12:09 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: MartinFocazio]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Originally Posted By: comms

I have been underwhelmed to say the least regarding actual GPS apps, free or charged. Also, as I understand, they work off the 3G network and not satellite so if I am out of cell tower range, its useless anyway. If this is incorrect let me know.

This has also kept me away from trail/hike apps. Change my mind if you can.

The GPS is satellite-based GPS just like any Garmin device. It is not in any way dependent on cell towers. If you're using the GPS functions of the iPhone, you're using the satellites.

Comms, it is true that most phones do not have a true GPS that can receive and decode satellite signals. I know Nokia and Sony Ericcson have it on selected models, but absolutely not on the cheaper models. I don't know squat about Iphones, so I'll take Martin's word on that system.

I think the source of confusion is that some service providers call their cell tower based location services "GPS", using those 3 letters as a generic name for location services. I've seen that service as an option on $20 pre-paid phones from walmart.... (Of course you would pay dearly for that location service... it's just another way of fooling teenagers to part with their parents money: Look, the phone is just $19.99... and it has "GPS", Mommy please?).

#189806 - 12/03/09 01:24 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
A phone that advertises "GPS" has a GPS chipset in it. It's really that simple.

I suggest: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gps-phone.htm
for information.

There are a LOT of phones with GPS chipsets: Link to GPS Phones List

In terms of focus for GPS in phone devices, it's definitely for vehicle, on-road navigation.

In you really want to go deeper into this, I suggest you read iPhone vs. A Stick.

#189814 - 12/03/09 02:27 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
And then there are those of us with Blackberrys from Verizon. This company decided to deactivate the GPS chipset in my BBery 8830 so that I cannot use third party navigation software. I need to pay $10 a month for their navigation service.

I own a Garmin Nuvi, so there's no way I'm paying for the Verizon service, but there's other GPS based apps for the BBery that would be pretty cool, some that even do mapping against a topo map if you load it in. It would also be nice to have a backup to the Nuvi to use when I'm in our second car, etc.

I spent a fair amount of time a year and a half ago looking for a hack to unlock the chipset, and could not find one. Maybe the state of the art is different now.

Edited by Jesselp (12/03/09 02:52 PM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

#189815 - 12/03/09 02:35 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: MartinFocazio]
NobodySpecial Offline

There are a couple of things that might be causing confusion.
Only the iPhone 3G (and newer) has a GPS chipset - the original model didn't.

The location software in most mobile phones uses the Javame location services API which lets you pick a variety of ways to get the position (GPS, nearest cell tower, cell tower triangulation etc) depending on what hardware your phone has, what services your provider charges for and what security settings permit.
GPS uses a lot of battery power and can be slow to get an initial position - so you don't necessarily want to use GPS if your application is just looking up which city you are in for a weather forecast.

The iPhone3G also uses assisted-GPS where the initial position is actually found by cell tower triangulation and then that location is used as a starting point for the GPS solution. This greatly improves the startup time and reduces the amount of CPU and so battery power to get a fix.

One big leap forward - the iPhone Javascript API now includes GPS location so you can easily get a position form a web app.
But remember the iPhone (unlike other smartphones) can only run one app at a time - so if you have a GPS tracking application you can't use the phone for anything else while it's running

#189816 - 12/03/09 02:35 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: Jesselp]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Jesselp
And then there are those of us with Blackberrys from Verizon. This company decided to deactivate the GPS chipset in my BBery 8830 so that I cannot use third party navigation software. I need to pay $10 a month for their navigation service.

Another of those unwelcome surprises from Verizon. :-( Interestingly, with the Droid, Google required Verizon to agree NOT to lock up the GPS, but then with Droid if you don't have service you don't have maps. The singular reason to use Verizon is their network, other than that they totally suck. I'm getting close to going with a iPhone, despite ATT's truly lousy network, and keeping a small basic phone on Verizon as back-up for when I really need to be able to use the damn phone.

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#189819 - 12/03/09 02:52 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
<tangent alert>

How can we actually compare coverage from one carrier to another once roaming is taken into consideration? I use Sprint and very frequently stray from the defined coverage areas on their map. Most of the time my phone doesn't indicate that I'm roaming so I'm a little confused. I haven't had a cell phone plan in years that charged for roaming service so I honestly don't care who's network I'm on as long as my phone works.

#189821 - 12/03/09 03:03 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: 7point82]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: 7point82
<tangent alert>

How can we actually compare coverage from one carrier to another once roaming is taken into consideration? I use Sprint and very frequently stray from the defined coverage areas on their map. Most of the time my phone doesn't indicate that I'm roaming so I'm a little confused. I haven't had a cell phone plan in years that charged for roaming service so I honestly don't care who's network I'm on as long as my phone works.

I can only go by my experience. Can't tell you number of times I have been places and I have no problem with my Verizon phone and the guys with iPhones are cursing. My iPhone carrying friends are constantly harping about the lousy service, not just 3G, but 2G as well. <shrug> For those who stick to major metro areas, not as big a problem. OTOH, don't even try to use an ATT phone at a Denver Broncos game, so even then, their system is easily overwhelmed.

Being married to someone who was in the infrastructure business at the time, ATT's system issues are the result of some historical poor business decisions and the various mergers and such that occurred a few years back. The bottom line is that ATT basically stopped upgrading and building their system out at a critical juncture and have never caught up.

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#189825 - 12/03/09 03:11 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I've heard that Sprint's coverage has historically been lacking but I can honestly say that I've always had coverage anytime anyone else around has had coverage. Of course I've only been with Sprint for a few years too.

#189830 - 12/03/09 04:50 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: 7point82]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I work for Sprint, and our coverage is good-same as Verizon's. They both work off of CDMA, and we dont charge for roaming (not sure if Verizon does or not). Nothing is locked out either. I use a BB Curve, but will be upgrading soon, to something with wifi as well.
The BB apps are great-I have bunch of useful ones installed to include weather, news, and live feeds. I have plenty of friends here who have ATT & their service is lacking. Now, ATT doesnt have a large footprint in my area, so I am sure that has something to do with it. But, if you are primarily concerned with staing in the US, I would suggest CDMA, as its more prevalent here. And, the newer BB devices have wifi capabilities, so you can surf & talk.

#189841 - 12/03/09 07:21 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: 7point82]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: 7point82
<tangent alert>

because roaming agreements generally only apply for voice and SMS, not data services. That's why it matters what network you pick. Also, increasingly, carriers are NOT allowing their phones to roam to save on interconnect fees.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 237 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.