Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#178478 - 08/03/09 07:28 AM Surplus gas mask craze
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Cheap surplus gas masks have always been on the market in large quantities (mostly Soviet/Eastern Bloc). But as of late, I've noticed many more Western surplus gas masks, especially from Finland, in the $15-20 range.

I have no idea why and how but I see these masks marketed as protection against the swine flu plus all the usual bio/chemical/nuclear threats. It seems people are buying them in serious quantities and even attempt to use them in hazardous environments.

From what I've seen, the filters are usually from the 1970's so with a shelf life of about 10 years they're already way past their prime. I'm no expert but I've always been taught old gas mask filters past their useful life should never be used and as the chemicals in them break down, aside from not working as they're supposed to, they might in fact pose a health hazard.

I don't know whether any of it depends on proper storage but I've been under the impression that all gas mask filters have a very definite shelf life and once past, must be disposed of. So what is going on with all the people getting old gas masks these days? Do the filters really last longer than the date says? Are there any real differences between Eastern Bloc and Western filters? Or is everyone buying surplus gas masks just wasting money on obsolete, potentially lethal gear?

#178483 - 08/03/09 12:10 PM Re: Surplus gas mask craze [Re: Tom_L]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
IMO, old gas masks should not be trusted.

Over time, rubber dry rots and cracks, making a complete seal an impossibility. Then there are the age and breakdown factors of the filters and chemical agents.

IMO, gas masks are another useful layer of personal protection IN A SHELTER.

Wearing a mask and moving about (walking, working, etc) is very laborious and HOT. A mask is used to get out of a hot area when you've been caught out in the open. The average person will have to move slow or else the act of breathing becomes very tiring, depending on your size and state of physical conditioning.

I have recently become more aware of the importance of having the right "fit" of your personal mask to your facial structure. The mask may be sealed, but if it is the wrong size for your face, then it will leak as you move around, moving your head to different angles, as you work.

#178495 - 08/03/09 02:05 PM Re: Surplus gas mask craze [Re: Tom_L]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
I was impressed with this Gas Mask from Nitro-Pak.
It's a "step up" in price... about $100.00, but the mask is new, and it includes a new filter that's "in date". The mask also includes a "practice filter" so you can try fitting/wearing the mask without wasting the new filter.
The mask is offered in both Adult and Child sizes.

#178496 - 08/03/09 02:08 PM Re: Surplus gas mask craze [Re: wildman800]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
Originally Posted By: wildman800

I have recently become more aware of the importance of having the right "fit" of your personal mask to your facial structure. The mask may be sealed, but if it is the wrong size for your face, then it will leak as you move around, moving your head to different angles, as you work.

I have also read that you can't effectively use a gas mask if you have a beard; you will not be able to get a good seal where the facial hair meets the mask.

#178501 - 08/03/09 03:03 PM Re: Surplus gas mask craze [Re: Lon]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Lon
Originally Posted By: wildman800

I have also read that you can't effectively use a gas mask if you have a beard; you will not be able to get a good seal where the facial hair meets the mask.

And that is why you see clean shaven service members. Not to mention firefighters.

RIP OBG

#178509 - 08/03/09 04:16 PM Re: Surplus gas mask craze [Re: Desperado]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Prior to Y2K gas masks were a CRAZE! The 15$ ones going for $80 and then $200+ as it got near, etc...

I just use the 3M ones that take the 2091 filters, and then the other filters if you are around chemicals. These work way better than the disposable ones when working around welding dust, drywall dust, etc, etc... They are not full face shields but I don't have a reason for one of them wink

#178521 - 08/03/09 05:27 PM Re: Surplus gas mask craze [Re: Todd W]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
How high a priority should a gas mask be on my equipment list?

#178525 - 08/03/09 06:23 PM Re: Surplus gas mask craze [Re: Still_Alive]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I would say very low. Unless you are fit tested (facial fit and respiratory compliance testing), have training, know when to don one with the correct filter, which is in-date, you are pretty much throwing your money away.

Just my 2 cents-

Pete

#178529 - 08/03/09 08:47 PM Re: Surplus gas mask craze [Re: Still_Alive]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: Still_Alive
How high a priority should a gas mask be on my equipment list?

Gas mask I would rate very low on the equipment list but....

I would recommend having a basic N95 respirator mask from 3M in at least your car kit and possibly your EDC if you carry a backpack or Maxpedition.

I have one in each BOB, in case I deal with high dust and airborne particulates. I have actually used one in a monsoon dust storm, but a buff headwear or bandanna would just as good most likely.

#178530 - 08/03/09 10:09 PM Re: Surplus gas mask craze [Re: Lon]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA

That's why the CNO and the Commandant made us shave our beards but most us kept smooth shaven from the jaw line down and very few people had any "seal problems" but the excuse was sufficient.

Being "smartass sailors", many of us placed our facial hairs in envelopes addressed to either the CNO or COMMANDANT, as was appropriate!!! That's probably the closest that the USN and/or the USCG has come to servicewide Mutinies,,,,,mutinies without sedition!!!!!! at that!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 574 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.