Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#177808 - 07/27/09 03:13 PM I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL)
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Seems like the weather that hit Martin's house came my way too.

First rain, then thunder and lightning, them crazy-heavy rain, then hail, then wind. It was, to be honest, kind of exciting to watch. Then I get this text message:

THE NATL WEATHER SVC IN UPTON NY HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR.
QUEENS COUNTY IN SE NY.
CNTL NASSAU COUNTY IN SE NY.

* UNTIL 725 PM EDT.

Here's the deal: I live on an island in a 1950's era stick-built house on the south shore of Nassau County, NY. Not in the direct path of the warning, but awfully close. We do not have a basement in our house.

As far as tornado preparedness goes, I get a big FAIL. I had no idea what to do. Not only do we not have a basement, we don't even have any interior rooms without windows. My options if I actually saw a funnel cloud seemed to be:

1) Try and create a shelter in the house using sturdy furniture, mattresses, etc.
2) Make a run to my firehouse, about 1/2 mile away. It does not have a basement either, but at least it's of new, sturdy, masonry construction. And there's loads of first aide supplies and extrication equipment available if necessary! smile

In reality, the rain and hail was so heavy I doubt I'd ever have seen a funnel cloud, and going outside with a 1- and 3- year old seemed particularly dumb unless I had no choice. How do people actually see a funnel cloud coming through these storms?

So what happened? Nothing. The rain stopped at about 7:20, and I went out to look around and see if anything scary was going on. Lots of water on the ground, some menacing looking clouds moving away from me, and the most amazing full rainbow I've seen in a number of years.

So, what would you have done? Tornados are sufficiently rare around here that I have not given them much thought.

#177812 - 07/27/09 03:21 PM Re: I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL) [Re: Jesselp]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Dang! Glad your neighborhood and all of you are okay.

A bathtub is a good option if you don't have time to go elsewhere. At least get the kids in there. Preferably a bathtub in an interior bathroom.

My dog somehow knows this and whenever a severe thunderstorm hits she can be found in the bathroom. Once she had jumped in the tub.

Edited by Dagny (07/27/09 03:22 PM)

#177815 - 07/27/09 03:25 PM Re: I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL) [Re: Jesselp]
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Lay low in your tub and cover yourself. Although modern tubs are not as heavy as yesterday's cast iron beasts, they are fairly secure to the structure. Covering yourself, such as with a matress will help protect against flying debris. I', sure you've see pictures of grass blades being driven into tree trunks (or similar images). The matress is to prevent you from becoming a target of high speed projectiles.

I would not try to run 1/2 mile to the fire station. I'm sure the funnel cloud would easily "outrun" you and your family.

If you are caught outside, find a low lying area, such as a ditch or depression and lie face down woth your hands over your head. The ditch helps keep the flying debris above you and your hands over your head is to help reduce head injury if an object strikes you in the head.

#177819 - 07/27/09 03:50 PM Re: I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL) [Re: Jesselp]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Here's more information on our storms from last night. Looking at the map, it seems I was in the "warning" area. Also, there is apparently evidence that there was in fact a funnel cloud!

AccuWeather.com NYC Tornado Scare

As for my house, unfortunately our only bath tub is made of some sort of plastic and is located on the second floor. Not much protection there!

#177820 - 07/27/09 03:54 PM Re: I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL) [Re: Jesselp]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I was watching the storm from the north side of it - the biggest storm passed me before the warning
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#177829 - 07/27/09 04:26 PM Re: I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL) [Re: Jesselp]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Do you have a closet in which you could have hidden?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#177836 - 07/27/09 04:48 PM Re: I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL) [Re: Blast]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Walk in closet right by the front door on the ground floor.

I guess that's my new storm shelter if this ever happens again!

It would be tight, but we'd all fit.

#177839 - 07/27/09 05:07 PM Re: I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL) [Re: Jesselp]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I am naive on this subject, having only been through one tornado in Nebraska (we sought refuge in the basement of a small concrete building but the windows still blew out).

I would think there is an entrepreneurial businessman who digs ground based storm shelters. I suppose a back hoe, some bracing timbers, miracle board or concrete siding then a sturdy door? I would only suppose this could be done fairly cheaply. Maybe not even all the way underground and it could store preparedness equipment/goods as well.

Now that I think of it, NY does not seem a likely tornado area, so perhaps an in ground shelter is overkill b

#177847 - 07/27/09 06:00 PM Re: I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL) [Re: comms]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
Huh. Here in the midwest, we deal with that about every week from April until September, or at least it seems that way. To be fair, this year has been pretty light on tornadoes around my place, and I think we only went to the basement once this season.

When I first moved here, I kind of freaked out about every torando watch, but now it is pretty routine. Of course, having a concrete room in the basement makes one feel more secure than a hall closet.

For those of you without weather radios, I recommend the Emergency Email service, which will send Weather alerts to your cell/pager (http://www.emergencyemail.org/). It's a free service, and pretty handy.

Greg

#177850 - 07/27/09 07:05 PM Re: I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL) [Re: Greg_Sackett]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I had never heard of that service Greg! Awesome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 558 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.