The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#177702 - 07/26/09 12:19 PM "Mad Max Curriculum" - article in Wa Post
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

What's most interesting about this article is that it is in the business section of the Sunday Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con...id=sec-business

For Prophets Of Cataclysm, A 'Mad Max' Curriculum

By Sara Behunek
Sunday, July 26, 2009

...a three-day "Urban Escape and Evade" course offered by onPoint Tactical, a New Jersey-based company that teaches urban survival skills to soldiers, police officers and, increasingly, civilians.

...sales at camping supply and military surplus stores, which are up 50 percent?

People have always anticipated the end of days. And in truth, while having survival skills -- whether they are tactical or horticultural -- could save your life, in reality they aren't likely to do much more than what stockpiling canned beans and toilet paper did in preparation for Y2K: that is, lend a sense of security.

#177802 - 07/27/09 02:32 PM Re: "Mad Max Curriculum" - article in Wa Post [Re: Dagny]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Law enforcement must love having this guy come to town.

#177822 - 07/27/09 03:59 PM Re: "Mad Max Curriculum" - article in Wa Post [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"What's most interesting about this article is that it is in the business section..."

No, not really. When people get scared, sales of certain types of things go up, even in a poor economy. There will be a lot of people/companies jumping onto the preparedness bandwagon as our economy continues to spiral downward. And, no matter what the economy, there are always people with money to buy.

#177830 - 07/27/09 04:26 PM Re: "Mad Max Curriculum" - article in Wa Post [Re: dweste]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: dweste
Law enforcement must love having this guy come to town.

Based upon the curriculum, I'll bet its quite popular.

#178682 - 08/05/09 02:33 PM Re: "Mad Max Curriculum" - article in Wa Post [Re: celler]
duckbill Offline
Stranger

Hi Dagny, both Susan and celler are correct, but there is also a little more to it.

Sara Behunek (author) is a financial blogger for TheDeal.com. So it was also a financial rag that paid her for the story.

The Story was First Posted Under This Title:
Survival School Why more Americans are learning to pick locks, bust out of handcuffs, and avoid surveillance.
http://www.thebigmoney.com/articles/experience/2009/07/16/survival-school

Here is a working link to the reprint, the above link didn't work for me:
For Prophets Of Cataclysm, A 'Mad Max' Curriculum (the abridged version)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/24/AR2009072404169.html

The first link it better because it has video (shot with my camera:)

It was fun class.... Kevin Reeve also worked for Tom Brown, Jr's "Tracker" school for a number of years.

#178755 - 08/06/09 02:33 AM Re: "Mad Max Curriculum" - article in Wa Post [Re: duckbill]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
This is a class I wish they taught in school. Maybe I would have paid more attention (instead of spending a lot of time day-dreaming about what I could be doing other than sitting at an uncomfortable desk in a boring classroom).

Truth be told, I really wish schools would teach more life-skills lessons. Basic survival, basic mechanic skills, how to shoot, how to fish, how to manage finances, basic cooking, basic plant identification, basic compass/map/gps skills, basic security/awareness/self-defense techniques, how to make a major purchase without getting screwed, how to properly care for a child, ect.

Basically, all the skills that one will use (and use often) once they enter the real world. Fact is, a lot of kids need help in these areas, especially in modern times when more and more kids are getting less and less parental guidance. Plus, I think it would help to keep school attendance up if kids were actually learning something they thought was useful.

#178773 - 08/06/09 10:43 AM Re: "Mad Max Curriculum" - article in Wa Post [Re: Paul810]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I grew up in a very rural school, they actually took us out and had us shoot .22's in 7th grade, teacher started to help me because I was looking at the gun funny but I told him there wasn;t any problem, I was just comparing their bolt action to my semi auto.
Even though kids are getting less parental guideance these days, I'm not sure I want the school teaching my kids how to care for a child, the school's political views in that area don't usually agree with mine.

#178780 - 08/06/09 12:33 PM Re: "Mad Max Curriculum" - article in Wa Post [Re: Eugene]
CAP613 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: W. PA
A couple of years ago our local high school went through a major remodel. One of the things that the adminstration was going to do was to elimnate the shop. They ended up building one that was 1/4 the size of the one in the old building. We were able to get them to do that because it could be used to build sets for the theater.

I agree that more pratical classes would be good, things like how to unstuff plumbing, but the parents don't want anything but collage prep.

BTW there still is a range and shooting team in the school.

#178783 - 08/06/09 12:49 PM Re: "Mad Max Curriculum" - article in Wa Post [Re: CAP613]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Cap, try not to forget about the effect of insurance and injury lawyers on what schools can teach. It is a lot harder for a kid to get injured in a math class than in a shop class.

#178796 - 08/06/09 05:13 PM Re: "Mad Max Curriculum" - article in Wa Post [Re: Paul810]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: Paul810
Truth be told, I really wish schools would teach more life-skills lessons. Basic survival, basic mechanic skills, how to shoot, how to fish, how to manage finances, basic cooking, basic plant identification, basic compass/map/gps skills, basic security/awareness/self-defense techniques, how to make a major purchase without getting screwed, how to properly care for a child, ect.

Basically, all the skills that one will use (and use often) once they enter the real world. Fact is, a lot of kids need help in these areas, especially in modern times when more and more kids are getting less and less parental guidance. Plus, I think it would help to keep school attendance up if kids were actually learning something they thought was useful.

I don't even think they teach students how to balance a checkbook so I admire your thought but it would never work in the current 21st Century. With zero tolerance I guarantee no marksmanship. You can't kill the fish so no fishing. Heck even the 'camp outs' are basically just a giant sleep over outside, there is no real outdoorsmanship going on.

Unfortunately, our ideals of rugged individualism and outdoorism has become a disinfected emasculation of manhood.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 629 Guests and 145 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.