Topic Options
#177625 - 07/25/09 04:24 PM The RV Life
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Anyone a full time RVer?

How do you like it?

I've gotten input from my grandmother and her friends but am looking for more smile

#177886 - 07/28/09 01:18 AM Re: The RV Life [Re: Todd W]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
My sister and her husband are full time RVers. They seem to like it well. North of Superior in the summers and Southern States or Mexico for the winter.
The only problems they have are with parking spots when they need to deal with city businesses.
Their solution has been to tow a smaller car for driving around once they are at a destination.

#177892 - 07/28/09 02:11 AM Re: The RV Life [Re: Todd W]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Todd W
Anyone a full time RVer?

How do you like it?

I've gotten input from my grandmother and her friends but am looking for more smile

Not full time, but 4 to 5 days a week. Questions, PM me.

RIP OBG

#177909 - 07/28/09 01:04 PM Re: The RV Life [Re: Desperado]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
We have been full time RV'ers since 1997. About 12 years on the road. At the moment we are in a remote part of the Apache National Forest. Wonderful location in a valley but at 7713' so although it is in New Mexico, it is cool here. We almost never stay in "pay" campgrounds, preferring remote locations like National Forests, BLM land and some private large land holdings in the SW (AZ, NM)and Maine. We have traveled quite a bit in Mexico and Canada.

We love the RV lifestyle. Our camper is a 27' fifth wheel with a 12x4' slide out. This gives us a main living space of 12x12' plus of course a bathroom with shower and a good sized bedroom. Our tow vehicle is a one ton dodge diesel 4x4. We have a tent which mounts over the bed. We can drop the trailer someplace and take the truck/tent into the back country.

Power is solar with a small stand-by generator (2000w) for periods of long rain or when we are in a solar sheltered area like deep woods. Batteries are 6, 110ah AGM batteries. Usually they are fully charged by about 11 am.

We have internet connectivity with a Hughes Satellite system mounted on the front of the camper. It can be removed if trees or hills block the signal path to the satellite.

As I type this, we are also downloading the NPR Morning Edition audio stream from KJZZ in Arizona. We have no off air radio in this location. No FM, no AM, nothing. The satellite internet connection is limited in download capacity but I manage to watch about an hour of TV per day, stream several hours of audio and do a fair amount of e-mail and web surfing.

We are both hams and make extensive use of amateur radio including echolink, HF and amateur satellite services.

It is a great life and I can't imagine living in a house without wheels.

Happy to answer any questions.

Nomad.

#177918 - 07/28/09 03:21 PM Re: The RV Life [Re: Nomad]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Thanks for the info! If I can come up with more specifics I`ll post.

#177919 - 07/28/09 03:43 PM Re: The RV Life [Re: Todd W]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Whoa Todd, you just got that cool house and now you're talkin about hittin the road?

There's a ton, literally; I weighed it, of information on the web about the rolling lifestyle. From living in a van to the luxury coaches that cost a couple of million. I've thought about doing it myself from time to time when I'm "retired".

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#177923 - 07/28/09 04:06 PM Re: The RV Life [Re: JohnE]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JohnE
Whoa Todd, you just got that cool house and now you're talkin about hittin the road?

There's a ton, literally; I weighed it, of information on the web about the rolling lifestyle. From living in a van to the luxury coaches that cost a couple of million. I've thought about doing it myself from time to time when I'm "retired".

Tossed the idea around, not gonna happen anytime soon. I just wanted more stories, and specifics from people out there smile

#177924 - 07/28/09 04:07 PM Re: The RV Life [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
My Aunt and Uncle were part time 5th Wheel RVers as they prepared for their retired years. Then they jack knifed the truck and 5th wheel and both were totaled. Their dog got ejected from the truck and survived. They both came out of it with a few broken bones.

They got insurance money and bought a new 5th wheel, but my Uncle took a "lump sum" pay out to retire early from the US Postal Service. He's not a very bright man and wasn't aware of what he was doing taking it. He had to pay tax (over 20%) on the lump sum and until he's 65 a portion of his retirement checks are docked to go back to pay back a partial amount of the lump sum payment. At least that's what he's told me. Then he stupidly filed a lawsuit against the original 5th Wheel manufacturer because it jack knifed (Not sure the maker) and then got rolled into a class action suit not aware that even if he won...he'd get like 300 bucks because there's so many plantifs.

So now they can't afford to do it. It's sad.

Yikes, a lot happened to them!

#178949 - 08/10/09 01:17 AM Re: The RV Life [Re: Todd W]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
A search of OBG's posts will reveal a few pearls of wisdom regarding the RV life. He and his wife spent several years of retirement driving around the US and he kindly shared some thoughts on their travels.

Regards,Comanche7

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 539 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.